Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• health concerns of red meat

HI there
    ive noticed on PM that there is a thread going on about the dangers of eating 'red meat' and its kidney damaging effects (and shortening of life expectancy).

is there any real basis behind this view?

It concerned me because i eat 2 serves of red meat a day, both of which are lean (i am in a gaining phase).

However i do keep a good eye on my health by a clean diet (lots of veggies, fruit, oats etc..) and do some form of cardio everyday. I am also a natural bodybuilder.

Just wanted to see what everyone else thought about this

I certainly hope there's no validity to it, as I eat alot of red meat. Honestly, I don't think I'd give it up anyway...
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

One week its coffee, the next week its alcohol, the next time its creatine blah,blah, blah..Moderation with anything is the key here and if you are eating 2 servings of lean red meat a day, in my book that is moderation...keep eating.
      Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
        I certainly hope there's no validity to it, as I eat alot of red meat. Honestly, I don't think I'd give it up anyway...
        Same. My job has me on the road a lot and I always seem to find myself at The Keg destroying a 12oz New York, Chicago Medium-Rare.

Comment

Bro'

Just make sure you take in 5 grams of fish oil caps every time you eat red meat.

That will 'counter act' on any negative omega action incurred by the red meat. ;o)
          I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

Comment

I've switched my red meat to grass fed beef. From things I've read by John Meadows. It's better for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveEboy View Post
              Bro'

Just make sure you take in 5 grams of fish oil caps every time you eat red meat.

That will 'counter act' on any negative omega action incurred by the red meat. ;o)
              Ummm, Omega content of red meat does not have a negative effect on the kidneys. Typically non-organic red meat has a higher Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio. Although Omega-6 fatty acids are important to certain functions such as brain health and normal growth and development, excessive Omega-6 content can cause inflammation.

In terms of red meat and kideny health, when your body breaks down proteins in your diet, it releases urea into your bloodstream. Your kidneys are responsible for filtering urea from your blood and releasing it via your urine. However, if your kidney function is impaired due to kidney disease, the amount of urea can build up in your body and cause adverse side effects. If you are healthy, with no known kidney condition, red meat should not aggravate your kidenys. However, if there is an impairment to kideny function eating excess amounts of red meat may impact your health.
              Last edited by mentalflex; 07-25-2012, 01:06 PM.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Mental sounds more and more like Scott every day!^ Well said man.
                :preach:

Comment

Bro'

I always cringe when I see a post by a new member start with "Bro"....lol.

That being said, welcome to the board DaveEboy.....and let me introduce you to Mental.....he's one of the guys here that call bullshit on posts that scream, well, bullshit.....
                  STEEL

Comment

Bro'

That being said, welcome to the board DaveEboy.....and let me introduce you to Mental.....he's one of the guys here that call bullshit on posts that scream, well, bullshit.....
                    Thanks Steel, glad to be of assistance lol

I mean no harm by "calling someone out," I just despise broscience and things that are presented as facts without any kind of support. That is probably one of the best things about IM, the lack of broscience....and the damn sexy mods
                    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

IF:
                      -you are worried about the health effects of eating red meat

THEN:
                      -you are a pussy
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                        IF:
                        -you are worried about the health effects of eating red meat

THEN:
                        -you are a pussy
                        Thank you, you just made me spit out my water all over as I laughed my ass off reading this.....lol
                        STEEL

Comment

Guys ... I am 'old school' a little bit. Back in the early 90's ... the BB'ing pack I ran with ... it was always "Bro this" or ''Bro" that.

At least in the Pittsburgh area.

Bad ''bro'' habits ... hard to break. Perhaps one of you vets of this board could clue me in to the new proper 'greeting'.:insane:
                          I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

Comment

Guys ... I am 'old school' a little bit. Back in the early 90's ... the BB'ing pack I ran with ... it was always "Bro this" or ''Bro" that.

At least in the Pittsburgh area.

Bad ''bro'' habits ... hard to break. Perhaps one of you vets of this board could clue me in to the new proper 'greeting'.:insane:
                            I was just breaking balls.....honestly though, if you post sonething emphatically like you did, better put a link in there to substantiate your claim, or you will be called out very quickly here.....broscience is everywhere....but not here so much....but welcome!
                            STEEL

Comment

I was just breaking balls.....honestly though, if you post sonething emphatically like you did, better put a link in there to substantiate your claim, or you will be called out very quickly here.....broscience is everywhere....but not here so much....but welcome!
                              Steel - The ball Breaker
                              2012 Muscle Mayhem Novice Middleweight - 1st
                              2012 Muscle Mayhem Open Middleweight - 1st

2013 Dallas Europa Open Light Heavyweight - 8th

Comment

Working...
                              X