soy protein, your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soy protein, your thoughts?

I have always tried to avoid soy, as I always hear it raises estrogen and chances of cancer.

But what is the whole truth/debate on how bad it is for us? I have unopened bag of soy protein that I was given. Debating if I should just scrap it, or use it.

I haven't heard the cancer thing, but I wouldn't use it personally cause I don't want man titties...lol
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

You can check this article out... claims that it inhibits your ability to absorb protein.

I think that Kiefer sometimes overlooks the big picture, or picks on facet to a fault... but I don't think he is wrong is stating that Soy is crap...

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutriti...rotein-killer/
      -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
      -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
      198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
      -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
      198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
      -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
      198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Or be a cheapo like me and keep it!

If you're afraid, just cut it with regular protein, say quarter scoop of the soy with however much you want of your regular whey. I sound like a drug dealer.
        Max Muscle
        5020 Katella Ave.
        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Are you REALLY gonna save that much money by cutting it that way? Soy tastes like ass, it gives you man tits, and makes you cry at movies....I can't get caught crying at movies, no way!
          STEEL

Comment

well now a days so many things have soy in it, its almost impossible to avoid soy

Comment

Originally posted by tacoman View Post
              well now a days so many things have soy in it, its almost impossible to avoid soy
              No, it's really not if you buy whole foods....maybe you could get a sma amount from processed foods on a Skipload, but not enought to do much....that being said, if you truly believe soy is in everything, then why wouldn't you avoid it altogether on its own, like not supplementing with it?

My diets consists of lean beef, ground turkey breast, oats, black beans, veggies, TeamSkip, strawberries, EVOO, and natty pb.....no soy in there I'm fairly certain, and if there happens to be some in the oats or beans, it's negligible.....
              STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                Are you REALLY gonna save that much money by cutting it that way? Soy tastes like ass, it gives you man tits, and makes you cry at movies....I can't get caught crying at movies, no way!
                Sometimes it feels good to let it all out; cleansing really.
                Max Muscle
                5020 Katella Ave.
                Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

I used to take soy cause I could get it at 1/4 the price of WPI. It tastes bad to me. I trained fine on it and grew fine. I think that the estrogen thing may be hype:

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/soyvswhy.htm

but worry the IGF1 thing may be solid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHYFOJBU434

I can now get WPI cheap so don't do soy.
                  "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                  Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                  'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                  ~William Bernbach

Comment

I wont tell you what to do, but I wouldn't use it if it was given to me. Why? Because I don't know if the soy is bad stuff is hype or truth, but if there is a doubt in my mind, why take a chance when the reward is saving like $20 (depends on how much you've got I guess). I'd just rather not worry I'm fucking with my body chemistry over such a small amount of money.

Comment

very true guys, I guess Ill throw it out. Thanks for the help everybody

Comment

Originally posted by tacoman View Post
                        very true guys, I guess Ill throw it out. Thanks for the help everybody
                        Just give it to a chick ;-)
                        -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
                        -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
                        198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
                        -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
                        198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
                        -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
                        198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

I was curious as to what actual research has been done with regards to soy and male hormones and found a few studies. I'll sum up what the studies found in terms of effects and include the links to the studies.

Research has shown that soy protein containing high levels of soy isoflavones increases estrdiol concentrations while decreasing testosterone and DHT levels is men. Additionally, the higher the the concentration of isoflavones the more pronounced the effect. In comparison, men given milk protein isolate did not experience such hormonal changes. (http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/3/584.short)

Soy protein and soy based food products also appear to reduce sperm concentration, but does not appear to affect sperm motility, sperm morphology or ejaculate volume. (http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/con.../11/2584.short)

Consumption of soy protein also has some benefits. These include improved blood pressure and an improved lipid profile. (http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/86/7/3053.short) Additionally, soy protein appears to reduce the risk of prostate cancer. (http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/16/3/538.short)

As my own CYA, it is important to note that there is a significant lack of research on the study of the effects of soy protein in men and the research that has been done is limited in depth and scope and further research needs to be done in order to develop a conclusive opinion.
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I haven't heard the cancer thing

Comment

Working...
                            X