Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypertrophy Routine

Hello all,

I'm looking for a new way to train, i'd like some ideas on a good training routine for size and aestetics.

I've done many stregth programs including Starting Strength, and runs on 5x5. I've found I respond better to higher reps and higher volume.

24 years old. 5'4.5 around 152 lbs

Can anyone recommend me a good split?

Originally posted by musicguy50 View Post
    Hello all,

I'm looking for a new way to train, i'd like some ideas on a good training routine for size and aestetics.

I've done many stregth programs including Starting Strength, and runs on 5x5. I've found I respond better to higher reps and higher volume.

24 years old. 5'4.5 around 152 lbs

Can anyone recommend me a good split?
    There are so many different routines out there, i would like to suggest that you search the boards here a bit and maybe look into some of the journals. There you can see what others are using.

You can start here:
    http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=10456

http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=15169

http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=17981

Also, if you could give more information on how long you have been training, what weights you are currently using, it would most likely be easier for the more experienced guys here to help you.
    My Training Journal

Comment

Before anyone could give you any suggestions you might need to give some specifics.

1. Training History (Programs and how you did on them)
      2. Training Age (How long you've been training)
      3. Body composition or even better pictures
      4. Competitive History if there is one
      5. Injuries
      6. Equipment you have access to

This would be a big help.
      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
        Before anyone could give you any suggestions you might need to give some specifics.

1. Training History (Programs and how you did on them)
        2. Training Age (How long you've been training)
        3. Body composition or even better pictures
        4. Competitive History if there is one
        5. Injuries
        6. Equipment you have access to

This would be a big help.
        Thank you very much.
        1. Training History - Programs - Starting Stregnth - Got thicker overall, but didn't get big in certain places I wanted, like chest. I did a 5x5 program, and pretty much the same. I ran IronAddicts Simple Power Based Routine, and got my lifts up I was 156 lbs benching 240x3/Squating 295x6/ and Deadlifiting 325x5/ Nothing crazy but it was tough for me. Overall on that program I gained size, but not good size, more fat than anything else. I then ran a upper/lower type routine more of a bodypart split where almost everything was hit twice a week, higher volume higher reps, and this made me grow and look my best, more than anything. The lighter weight doing 8-15 reps really made a difference for me. I hit my tri's and arms with more volume and they grew, same with my chest. I seemed to respond better to the volume.

2. Training Age - 24 years old now, training seriously and consistently for about 3 years. (trained for more than that but not doing smart things)

3. Bodycomposition i'm about 151 lbs now, around 11-13% bodyfat.

4. No competetive history.

5. No Injuries

6. Home gym with good equipment:
        Power Rack
        Bench with leg curl + leg extension
        Adjustable Dumbbells
        Olympic Barbell
        High and Low Cable Pully System
        Captains chair for dips
        Bands
        Ez Curl Bar

Comment

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=10456
          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Thank you very much.
            1. Training History - Programs - Starting Stregnth - Got thicker overall, but didn't get big in certain places I wanted, like chest. I did a 5x5 program, and pretty much the same. I ran IronAddicts Simple Power Based Routine, and got my lifts up I was 156 lbs benching 240x3/Squating 295x6/ and Deadlifiting 325x5/ Nothing crazy but it was tough for me. Overall on that program I gained size, but not good size, more fat than anything else. I then ran a upper/lower type routine more of a bodypart split where almost everything was hit twice a week, higher volume higher reps, and this made me grow and look my best, more than anything. The lighter weight doing 8-15 reps really made a difference for me. I hit my tri's and arms with more volume and they grew, same with my chest. I seemed to respond better to the volume.

2. Training Age - 24 years old now, training seriously and consistently for about 3 years. (trained for more than that but not doing smart things)

5. No Injuries

Power Rack
            Adjustable Dumbbells
            Olympic Barbell
            Captains chair for dips
            Bands
            Ez Curl Bar
            Look up CS Sloan full body workouts in the blog tight tan slacks of deszos ban, just google it, some cool home gym routines in there
            For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Just curious as to how you came up with your bodyfat percentage.....Did you actually have it tested or are you guessing?
              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Cool. OK, Now what are your training goals?

When you see where you are at and where you want to be you can create the most effective plan. So not just, I want to be big and ripped, but specifically, what do you want.

How often can you train, what is your recovery ability, what is you schedule like, how is your nutrition, stress, family, career....etc?

Thank you very much.

5. No Injuries

Power Rack
                Adjustable Dumbbells
                Olympic Barbell
                Captains chair for dips
                Bands
                Ez Curl Bar
                Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                  Cool. OK, Now what are your training goals?

When you see where you are at and where you want to be you can create the most effective plan. So not just, I want to be big and ripped, but specifically, what do you want.

How often can you train, what is your recovery ability, what is you schedule like, how is your nutrition, stress, family, career....etc?
                  Training goals is to look "jacked" pretty much. I want to look as close to as the on steroid meat head look without actually taking juice, if that makes sense. I want to look big but not fat. I;m not trying to get down to 7% bodyfat or anything, but I would like to look jacked but also somewhat lean. Specifically, big chest, big arms, shoulders, back.. My legs are naturally big. And believe it or not, they grew from Squating 8-10 reps more than when doing heavy weights for 5 reps.

I can train as much as possibly really. I work a full time job, but i'm single, no kids, and have the home gym right at my disposal. I mean, i'm not going to be able to twice twice a day, but you know what I mean, a 10-6 monday to friday job.

My stress is not bad, nutrition is on, family things are alright-- trying to find a career now which is tough, but .. My recovery ability to above average I would say.

And I didn't get my bodyfat measured but i have been told, and have an understanding, so im pretty confident in my guess.

Comment

If you tend to do well with volume and have good recovery, based on what you are looking to do, you might do well with a program that uses a variety of rep ranges, exercises and training loads.

One program that I did and really liked for combining a variety or rep schemes and loads for both density and thickness and hypertrophy is a version of Layne Norton's Power-Hypertrophy Adaptive Training (PHAT). You hit each muscle group 2 times per week but differently each time. The layout looks like this:

Day 1: Upper Body Power
                    Day 2: Lower Body Power
                    Day 3: Rest
                    Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy
                    Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy
                    Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy

Then a sample program would look like this:

Day 1: Upper Body Power Day
                    Pulling Power Movement: Bent over or Pendlay rows
                    3 sets of 3-5 reps
                    Assistance Pulling movement: Weighted Pull ups
                    2 sets of 6-10 reps
                    Auxiliary Pulling movement: Rack chins
                    2 sets of 6-10 reps
                    Pressing Power Movement: Flat dumbbell presses
                    3 sets of 3-5 reps
                    Assistance pressing movement: Weighted dips
                    2 sets of 6-10 reps
                    Assistance pressing movement: Seated dumbbell shoulder presses
                    3 sets of 6-10 reps
                    Auxiliary curling movement: Cambered bar curls
                    3 sets of 6-10 reps
                    Auxiliary extension movement: Skull crushers
                    3 sets of 6-10 reps

Day 2: Lower Body Power Day
                    Pressing Power Movement: Squats
                    3 sets of 3-5 reps
                    Assistance pressing movement: Hack Squats
                    2 sets of 6-10 reps
                    Assistance extension movement: Leg extensions
                    2 sets of 6-10 reps
                    Assistance pulling movement: Stiff legged deadlifts
                    3 sets of 5-8 reps
                    Assistance pulling/curling movement: Glute ham raises or lying leg curls
                    2 sets of 6-10 reps
                    Auxiliary calf movement: Standing calf raise
                    3 sets of 6-10 reps
                    Auxiliary calf movement: Seated calf raise
                    2 sets of 6-10 reps

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day
                    Pulling Power Exercise speed work: Bent over or Pendlay rows
                    6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max
                    Hypertrophy pulling movement: Rack chins
                    3 sets of 8-12 reps
                    Hypertrophy pulling movement: Seated cable row
                    3 sets of 8-12 reps
                    Hypertrophy pulling movement: Dumbbell rows or shrugs bracing upper body against an incline bench
                    2 sets of 12-15 reps
                    Hypertrophy pulling movement: Close grip pulldowns
                    2 sets of 15-20 reps
                    Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Seated dumbbell presses
                    3 sets of 8-12 reps
                    Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Upright rows
                    2 sets of 12-15 reps
                    Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Side lateral raises with dumbbells or cables
                    3 sets of 12-20 reps

Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy Day
                    Lower Body Power Exercise speed work: Squats
                    Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hack squats
                    3 sets of 8-12 reps
                    Hypertrophy pressing movement: Leg presses
                    2 sets of 12-15 reps
                    Hypertrophy extension movement: Leg extensions
                    3 sets of 15-20 reps
                    Hypertrophy pulling movement: Romanian deadlifts
                    3 sets of 8-12 reps
                    Hypertrophy curling movement: Lying leg curls
                    2 sets of 12-15 reps
                    Hypertrophy curling movement: Seated leg curls
                    2 sets of 15-20 reps
                    Hypertrophy calf movement: Donkey calf raises
                    4 sets of 10-15 reps
                    Hypertrophy calf movement: Seated calf raises
                    3 sets of 15-20 reps

Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day
                    Pressing Power Exercise speed work: Flat dumbbell presses
                    Hypertrophy pressing movement: Incline dumbbell presses
                    3 sets of 8-12 reps
                    Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hammer strength chest press
                    3 sets of 12-15 reps
                    Hypertrophy fly movement: Incline cable flyes
                    2 sets of 15-20 reps
                    Hypertrophy curling exercise: Cambered bar preacher curls
                    3 sets of 8-12 reps
                    Hypertrophy curling exercise: Dumbbell concentration curls
                    2 sets of 12-15 reps
                    Hypertrophy curling exercise: Spider curls bracing upper body against an incline bench
                    2 sets of 15-20 reps
                    Hypertrophy extension exercise: Seated tricep extension with cambered bar
                    3 sets of 8-12 reps
                    Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable pressdowns with rope attachment
                    2 sets of 12-15 reps
                    Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable overhead extensions
                    2 sets of 15-20 reps

Day 7: Rest
                    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Thanks. I've seen this routine before and I am somewhat familiar with it. The only problem I see with it is, it is 5 days which isnt terrible, but what I don't like is there is a day off.. I'f i'm going to be training 5 days, i'd rather do it straight like monday-friday this way I don't have to train on the weekends..

Comment

Can you tell me HONESTLY what your rep speed is like? Not what you think it should be or what you think people would want to hear but picture yourself benching.... Count in your head-one thousand and one-one thousand and two-etc... How long does a single rep take you?
                        Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                        Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                        Nicki Minaj

Comment

I then ran a upper/lower type routine more of a bodypart split where almost everything was hit twice a week, higher volume higher reps, and this made me grow and look my best, more than anything. The lighter weight doing 8-15 reps really made a difference for me. I hit my tri's and arms with more volume and they grew, same with my chest. I seemed to respond better to the volume.
                          Just wondering, why are you not going back to this routine?
                          My Training Journal

Comment

If you do well with lighter weights and more volume you should geally look into Vince Girondas training. Hell even Nubrets split could work, but it is a ton of volume and as a natural you may burn out quick.
                            Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              If you do well with lighter weights and more volume you should geally look into Vince Girondas training. Hell even Nubrets split could work, but it is a ton of volume and as a natural you may burn out quick.
                              where can I found those? and yes I am a natural, so..?

Comment

Working...
                              X