losing fat while injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing fat while injured

I tore my ACL AGAIN and I'm going to get surgery in about a week (also a broken finger). I worked really hard to get to 9% BF before the injury, but since the injury 2 weeks ago, I've been pigging out hardcore everyday because I was depressed about the injury. Shitty excuse, I know, but I looked at myself today and realized how fat I got...I'm not going to be exercising at all for awhile, but I wanna lose some of this body fat I packed on during the two weeks. What kind of diet should I use to lose body fat while I am injured? I was thinking about doing PSMF with only whey...any suggestions?

I would start with whatever diet got you to you previous leanness before. You will just have to stay strict and manipulate calories in the absence of cardio.

Why can't you do upper body lifts at least? Just splint your finger and stick to the smith or machines.
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

A broken finger is pretty much nothing, tape it up or splint it and find alternatives. Use straps or hooks if you have to pull and can even use ab straps on pulldowns and hook your elbows into them and pull with just your elbows.

You can use machines and the smith safely with broken fingers as well.
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I won a powerlifting meet with a broken hand.

Quit being a pussy and train around it.

EDIT: Sorry, that post was supposed to come with a
        Last edited by Sammich; 07-18-2012, 07:16 PM.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

How much fat could did you gain in a span of two weeks? You're saying things like "this bodyfat I packed on"......most the time those are statements that come after months....I can see getting a bit softer and maybe a bit water logged if you're eating like shit, like fast food and such, but "packing on fat" in two weeks?

Just curious as to how much you've gained and how much your composition has changed....
          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

The broken finger goes far down which makes my whole left hand really sore...buts thats not the real issue.. I'm due for surgery on my knee in about a week for a grade 2 tear so I'm not going to be able to even walk for awhile...so I don't really think I'm being a pussy...

I've gained 14 pounds in the two weeks and I haven't measured bf but i can barely see my abs now. I can put on fat very easily and have a huge appetite. Also I've been smoking grass for the pain and to relax which made me pig out even more..

I simply want to know what diet is good to cut fat when I am not training and just resting

Comment

Well, not doing drugs would be a good start.
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                Well, not doing drugs would be a good start.
                Unless its meth. That'll get ya lean.
                You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Why the hell would you do something that makes you hungry while your trying to lose weight? Just stop smoking weed???
                  :preach:

Comment

I don't know what's so hard...

-I've been smoking weed and eating junk for 2 weeks...it happened it's over.
                    -Now I want to stop smoking and eating junk and lose body fat.
                    -What diet would you recommend for someone who can't exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by jwy5034 View Post
                      The broken finger goes far down which makes my whole left hand really sore...buts thats not the real issue.. I'm due for surgery on my knee in about a week for a grade 2 tear so I'm not going to be able to even walk for awhile...so I don't really think I'm being a pussy...

I've gained 14 pounds in the two weeks and I haven't measured bf but i can barely see my abs now. I can put on fat very easily and have a huge appetite. Also I've been smoking grass for the pain and to relax which made me pig out even more..

I simply want to know what diet is good to cut fat when I am not training and just resting

You did not specify you were not doing this anymore. Of course people are going to say something. There's no need to get snarky. The other reason people are getting on you is that your over thinking this.

First, if your not going to lift then I wouldn't really go with what you may be used to. I'd drop down to maintenance calories. Basically eat like you are on a cruise, maybe a little lighter on calories. If you want something more specific here is what I would do:

Protein doesn't need to be as high either. Since your not training you don't need as much for repair. .8 grams of protein per lb would be more than enough. You also won't need as much in the way of carbs. Since your not walking your activity level is going to be lower. I wouldn't go ketogenic, but just keep them in check I'm 195lbs and if I was in this same situation I would try to keep carbs at 100 or so. The remainder of calories I would get from healthy fats (almonds, Macadamia nut oil, fish oil, coconut oil). I would keep total calories no higher than 12 per lb of bodyweight, but if you gain weight after a week or so you may want to drop down to 10 even.

If you can find a way to train you still aren't going to be able to train all out or increase your calorie expenditure much. In this case I would go with the above parameters, but once a week have a cheat meal. It will keep you sane and break up the monotony.

Here are some easy ways to train, hit the muscle, even with the injuries you described. You will need minimal weight with these 5-20lb dumbells will be enough.

1. Shoulders- Do "6 ways" do a side lateral up to shoulder level then bring dumbells together in front of you until they touch. In this position raise the dumbells up over head and flex the front delts. Do 3-4 sets of 12. You should only need 5lb weights on these.

2. Biceps- Depending on which fingers is broken you may or may not be able to do this. These are called finger tip curls. Use a 5lb weight hold with your thumb and forefinger with your wrist down. If your forefinger is the hurt finger hold the weight in the other three fingers. Curl it up to 45 degrees, hold for at contraction, squeeze, then lower. since you are hold the dumbell in an odd way you will hit the muscle in a very unique way. Again 3-4 sets of 12.

3. Chest- Dumbell flyes Partial range/Superset with Machine Press- Do 20-30 partial range reps in the stretch position of the movement. Since you are not bringing the weight up all the way this will negate having to squeeze the weight to keep a hold of it.
                      Next go to a chest machine (preferably pin loaded so you don't have to pick up weights) and press with your palms to contraction and squeeze your pecs. If you cant' go the gym and have dumbells use the same dumbells and do 11/2 reps of dumbell press. Do the lower half, and then doing the full rep to contraction, squeeze and hold for a second.
                      3-4 sets for as many reps as you can do

4. Back- This will be more difficult since squeezing the bar is difficult, but this is what I did when I hurt my finger. One machine, if they have it, would be the old nautilus pullover machine. If not you could lay on the ground or on a bench and use a rope to copy the same movement, but go light, work on the stretch part of the movement, partial range, and only squeeze with the thumb.

If you can't go to the gym and you have a bench and a dumbell at home. Do lying face down rows for high reps, partial range in the contracted part of the rep. 3-4 sets high reps.

5. Triceps- Pressdowns only using palms. To make these a little different do 1 rep 3/4 of the way to full extension, and the next to contraction with a 1 second squeeze. If you don't have this available do overhead extentions with a light dumbell in the same fashion. 3-4 sets of 12

6. Traps-Parillo Shrugs Hold light dumbells overhead with arms straight, then raise them some more, squeeze your traps together. These kill when done right.

Keep in mind I am not a doctor and I don't know your exact situation so you are going to have to use your best judgement.

Just some ideas. Be creative. When I was injured I always found a safe way around it, but I also made it fun. It's funny, but when you know you can't build a ton of muscle or lose a lot of fat these are the times where you can actually have some fun and come up with some new things for your repertoire. Just be safe, get the surgery, get healed, and take this time to read, learn and get yourself ready for your comeback.
                      Last edited by Doberman; 07-19-2012, 05:33 PM.
                      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Thanks doberman, very helpful

Comment

doberman, what do you think of me doing a psmf using only whey protein? I heard it's really effective but the downside is muscle loss...I won't be doing exercise for awhile anyway so I was thinking about running it short term (about 2 weeks)

Comment

You seem really set on this "whey only" thing.
                            #docswholift
                            PGY-1 FM
                            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

sorry to hear about your acl JWY.....i'm in the same boat as im possibly looking at surgery for a partially torn rotator cuff(suprspinatus). it's been 3 months and doesnt feel any better.....I recomend you look into IF (intermintent fasting) to lean out while your out of the gym. i've been doing it since my injury and it curtainly is a nice break from constant eating if nothing else

edited: no advertising..
                              Last edited by Heckman; 07-26-2012, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X