Coflicting advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coflicting advice

Ok so lately I've been adding 30-50 Grams of table sugar to my postworkout shake (we have a ton and it's cheap if it works out) along with 40-50 grams of whey, researching I'm finding that people are saying that that is not a good pwo carb to be adding. of course everyone advocates malto/dex combos. I agree on that when taking the GI into account. In all fairness though would it make sense that when using a protien source that is quick digesting and adding a carbo source that is fast/slower- but not too slow digesting that it would work also? After all the name of the game is to replenish glyco stores and shuttle the nutrients to the places they need to be. wouldnt the gran sugar do that without putting you into the stratosphere on your insulin sensitivity chart? (doing this every workout has to eventually lead to some diabetic problems if your predisposed right?) oh well just tell me i dont know what im talking about. :drum:

What "everyone" is recommending malt/dex? Certainly not anyone from this board.
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Table sugar is half fructose, which is metabolized in the liver. That might not be optimal when trying to replenish muscle glycogen. The other half is glucose, also known as dextrose. Maltodextrine is a long-chain glucose polymer.

Comment

Like Adam said, people around here don't really follow that advice. To clarify, what they will tell you is to eat kids cereal due to taste, and ease, and one of the first ingredients is usually "sugar" rather than dextrose/maltodextrin/godknowswhatelse. If table sugar really is that easy and cheap (and you actually like doing it this way), why not save a little $$.

Comment

Originally posted by youngbb View Post
          Like Adam said, people around here don't really follow that advice. To clarify, what they will tell you is to eat kids cereal due to taste, and ease, and one of the first ingredients is usually "sugar" rather than dextrose/maltodextrin/godknowswhatelse. If table sugar really is that easy and cheap (and you actually like doing it this way), why not save a little $$.
          This, and/or you could always drink a sugar (real sugar) soda to hit your carb requirement.....I had good results doing that last year for quite awhile. My pwo carbs were pretty high at 125-150g...I would do a couple low fat Pop Tarts and fill the rest of the carbs with Sierra Mist....Honestly, I don't think it's rocket science. Just use some fast acting carbs and then follow up a bit later with a meal and you'll be fine...
          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
            This, and/or you could always drink a sugar (real sugar) soda to hit your carb requirement.....I had good results doing that last year for quite awhile. My pwo carbs were pretty high at 125-150g...I would do a couple low fat Pop Tarts and fill the rest of the carbs with Sierra Mist....Honestly, I don't think it's rocket science. Just use some fast acting carbs and then follow up a bit later with a meal and you'll be fine...

I am so jealous of you people and your pwo carb requirements that are way more than a single pop-tart.

My bloodwork came back all the normal ranges "ironically" enough, but obligatory ymmv.
            #docswholift
            PGY-1 FM
            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Seconded. Avoid the HFCS sodas (not the end of the world, but not ideal). Target sells mexican coke and fanta and sprite w/real sugar, which are perfect IMO.
              Originally posted by nexa View Post
              I am so jealous of you people and your pwo carb requirements that are way more than a single pop-tart.

My bloodwork came back all the normal ranges "ironically" enough, but obligatory ymmv.
              psh. you don't count, you are about the size of a poptart, lady!

Comment

I hate Malto and Dextrose, even unflavored, it makes shakes stupidly sweet and I can't bear it.

My pwo shake consists of one scoop of whey and one scoop of beef isolate, then for carbs I drink some pepsi or coke. It's more enjoyable and I actually look forward to the pwo shake instead of dreading it as I did when I used malto/dextrose.

Like Steel said, it's not rocket science. Fast acting carbs and protein.
                "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

thanks guys, i guess my research came from a yahoo search that went to various (sub par forums) Ill continue to do the table sugar for a few weeks because it is so cheap, to see where it gets me. (plus its friggen sugar...... i get that theres fcuose in it but its going to create spike while restoring my glycogen reserves. Keep the info coming!

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post

That was offseason.....now my pwo requirements are more "normal".... Lol
                    STEEL

Comment

That was offseason.....now my pwo requirements are more "normal".... Lol
                      aka "I'm not fat anymore"
                      Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                      FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                      www.316fit.com
                      Email: [email protected]

Comment

To be honest, I've focused less on POST Workout carbs lately and more on PRE workout carbs (since I train 1st thing when I wake up)...

I also would do this in contest prep and I do believe PRE workout carbs to be more important now.
                        Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                        FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                        www.316fit.com
                        Email: [email protected]

Comment

I eat a ton of white rice post workout, I'm a poor cheap bastard and that's about as cheap as it gets!
                          :preach:

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                            aka "I'm not fat anymore"
                            Lol, true.....but there was a reason for them being that high at that time, not just cause I wanted them....lol
                            STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                              To be honest, I've focused less on POST Workout carbs lately and more on PRE workout carbs (since I train 1st thing when I wake up)...

I also would do this in contest prep and I do believe PRE workout carbs to be more important now.
                              I agree with the pre workout carbs. I have 3 carb meals a day, and I try to train after them....otherwise I have zero drive at the gym.....I have trained only a few times during my prep with only one or two meals in me and every session has sucked ass.....offseason is so much different since I'm really not at all depleted. I could train in the AM fasted and have no issues.....
                              STEEL

Comment

Working...
                              X