Shelby's Carb Cycling Book.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelby's Carb Cycling Book.

So I read through Shelby's books he published where he talks about his carb cycling protocol and even goes ahead and gives you a sample set-up (I think it's for a 200 lber).

My question: Has anyone here read and/or used his carb-cycling protocol that he outlines in his book and if so, how'd it work for you. I'm not looking to implement it right now as I'm actually working with EX from IA's right now but I'm always reading around and jotting down ideas for the future and was wondering how people did applying principles from his books to their own diets.

Thanks in advance.
    Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Originally posted by dakoose View Post
    So I read through Shelby's books he published where he talks about his carb cycling protocol and even goes ahead and gives you a sample set-up (I think it's for a 200 lber).

My question: Has anyone here read and/or used his carb-cycling protocol that he outlines in his book and if so, how'd it work for you. I'm not looking to implement it right now as I'm actually working with EX from IA's right now but I'm always reading around and jotting down ideas for the future and was wondering how people did applying principles from his books to their own diets.

Thanks in advance.
    I've used carb cycling and it worked for me for my BB'ing show
    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

I never read his specific book, but I played with carb cycling years ago, and I'm sure it would work well if you could plan it out right. I simply didn't have the planning side of it down and with my work schedule, I found myself screwing it up more than getting it right. For me, just a steady diet seems to work better simply due to being well, more simple IMO....even Doberman's up/down diet seems like its too much work. Just remembering what the hell I'm supposed to be doing on any given day is an issue for me, so it's better just keeping things the same.....lol

If I was more efficient and planned things out better, I'm sure I could use that approach, but at this point in my life I'm probably not gonna become any better at that than I already am (and hopefully no worse....lol)
      Last edited by steel1970; 07-10-2012, 12:16 AM.
      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

DVB and Steel, thanks for the input. As fat as Carb-cycling goes, I've tried it before and also did some form of it while working with SKIP and utilizing Skiploads, I just was curious if anyone here set it up using Shelby's guidelines laid out in his book.

If I were to try it out, I came up with the following:

High Days: 450Carbs/215Protein/10Fat (2750 Calories)
        Medium Days: 225Carbs/225Protein/35Fat (2115 Calories)
        Low Days: 90C/305P/70F (2010 Calories)

I'd start with 3 high days, two medium and two low and then adjust form there. Now, I won't be using this for a while as like I said I'm working with EX, but when the time comes to try something like this out I'd just adjust it to fit whatever weight I'm at then. This was constructed with me (175-180lbs) in mind.
        Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Man, that's a lot of carbs on the high days. Whew.
          You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

In working with Scott, we use a carb cycling protocol. I like shifting carbs and calories based on my training and have found that in doing so I have been able to maintain my strength and size while dropping fat.

We used it before I was dieting as well to gain weight, which probably contributed to me being able to stay pretty lean, but the effects are more noticeable, for me at least, now that I am dieting. However, we only use a higher day and lower day rather than three separate kinds of days. This works well for DC training having 3 high days and 4 low days, but I can see adding in a medium day on days where the training isn't as brutal depending on the kind of program you are on.
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Like Steel said lot's of thought and planning goes into it.I have used it both off season and pre contest and it worked great for me then.I liked it alot for the variety and the amount of food.I did work with Shelby for that whole year basically.Learned a ton from him!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                In working with Scott, we use a carb cycling protocol. I like shifting carbs and calories based on my training and have found that in doing so I have been able to maintain my strength and size while dropping fat.

We used it before I was dieting as well to gain weight, which probably contributed to me being able to stay pretty lean, but the effects are more noticeable, for me at least, now that I am dieting. However, we only use a higher day and lower day rather than three separate kinds of days. This works well for DC training having 3 high days and 4 low days, but I can see adding in a medium day on days where the training isn't as brutal depending on the kind of program you are on.
                From reading Shelby's pamphlet/book, I got the impression that you can do either strictly high/low or high/moderate/low....I chose the latter for no specific reason. As far as my routine, I use a 4/week routine with more volume than DC but not as much intensity; the amount of high-days I implement will depend on how lean I am when I decide to try something like this out.

I expect that in comparison to Skiploading, I'll like a diet like this more as I prefer these manageable high days over having 5-6 low(ish) days and then one massive day in which I'm pounding quick carbs all day and I'm rendered to couch duty all day long. It worked well when I did it and the food's great but throwing away a Sunday kind of sucks sometimes, too. But at the same time, I could squeeze in a Skipload any given week if I really wanted too by just depleting my carb stores for a little bit.....the diet wouldn't be set in stone and I'd leave wiggle room for some alterations.

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

It is a pamphlet or a book?

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                  Instagram: @intensemuscle
                  YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                  TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

If it's the one from when he was working with Justin, it's 32 pages.
                    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                    kind of a douche

Comment

Yeah, it's the one he wrote with Justin and it's small so it's kind of in between. It's pretty bread and butter and doesn't contain fluff...straight and to the point.

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

I have used the book with very good results. At first it seems like alot of work rotating all the days (high/med/low).

But once you get up and running making adjustments as progressed slowed were very easy, just drop a high, add a low or medium, ect. I never had to change the amounts in my high, medium, or low days through the whole diet.

Just started with three highs, two lows and two mediums. Over time just slowly increased cardio and widled the diet down to three mediums and 4 lows with a eat what i want hour on one of my low days.

Comment

Originally posted by steve302 View Post
                          I have used the book with very good results. At first it seems like alot of work rotating all the days (high/med/low).

But once you get up and running making adjustments as progressed slowed were very easy, just drop a high, add a low or medium, ect. I never had to change the amounts in my high, medium, or low days through the whole diet.

Just started with three highs, two lows and two mediums. Over time just slowly increased cardio and widled the diet down to three mediums and 4 lows with a eat what i want hour on one of my low days.
                          Thanks for the review......if you don't mind me asking, what level of leanness did you achieve with the diet? Did your numbers, specifically the carbs, seem as high on the high days as mine do. I mean, I've been fairly low-carb for pretty much the last 3 years, so 450 carbs 2-3x per week seems like a lot, but that could just be because I'm not used to going with many carbs in my diet.....which is why this diet is intriguing to me.

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Shelby actually just recently posted this on another board:

Originally posted by Shelby
                            I just received an email from a gentleman that purchased a couple of my e-books and made the following progress in 7 weeks with the dietary guidelines I outline.

Pics are from start, then week 4, then week 7.

The books he followed were the MacroRotation Handbook and Simple Guide to Very Low Carb Diets.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                            2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                            2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                            2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                            2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Those results are great but they are typical of pretty much any other dieting method out there, not just carb cycling.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                              Instagram: @intensemuscle
                              YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                              TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Working...
                              X