Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiploading Vs Carb Cycling

Nevermind. lol.
    Last edited by liftweights; 07-03-2012, 05:53 PM.
    :preach:

Originally posted by liftweights View Post
    The goal is to gain muscle while staying relatively lean like (almost) all of us do when not in preparation for a show. 'Bulking' is a thing of the past, who the hell wants to get fat?

This is just to get input on what you guys personally choose to do when your gaining mass while staying lean. I have not been able to dig up a ton of information about year round skip-loading for lean mass. (I really want to hear from you if you do this especially.)

It would be naive to assume that everyone eats one of these two ways, so if you have any other thoughts please include those as well. Like how you go about calculating your kcals, how you do your cheat meals (Or if you don't have cheat meals), and how you dictated your macro-nutrients.

Do you use daily kcals slightly above maintenance with a weekly Skipload?

Do you follow a traditional carb cycling approach?

Personally I have been eating 2250kcals a day with macros of 200g Protein, 250g Carbohydrate, 50g Fat. I do a skip-load every Sunday for around 7 hours.
    Age 21, weight 215, height 6'4.
    No cardio, DC m/w/f
    Been very happy with my progress so far but I think I may be able to grow even faster on more calories/day. I certainly wouldn't get by eating so little with a higher volume training regimen.

I know this is a very broad topic so bare with me, and thanks guys.

-David
    2250kcal seems absurdly low to me and I'm 21, 240 and 6'5. So we are close to each other. Isn't cardio part of DC? Like a super-duper important part of DC that boosts your metabolism and conditions your lungs and heart for your WM?...

Dropping in two cardio sessions Tuesday and Thursday will sure as hell help you stay lean whilst eating more.

I Skipload weekly on Sundays. Have only 2 carb meals on off days and 5 on training days. So I kind of do both. Carb cycling and Skiploading that is.

I also don't, and never have counted calories. That's all BS. But, 200g of protein? Shit son, my Doberman eats 750g of protein a day and he's only 100lbs! :0)
    TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
    2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Comment

I'm not going to quote your post because that font is way too huge lol

If you are DCing and looking for size while staying lean then having a few P/C meals on off days while having additional P/C meals on training days will benefit you. And after having Homon open my eyes to the benefits of intra-workout nutrition I have found this to be a critical aspect of making progress in lean body mass while staying lean.

On off days you might start you day with a P/C meal then have P/F meals throughout the day with just a small amout of carbs added.

On training days something I found beneficial was having at least 2 consecutive P/C meals prior to training, the second was about 75 - 90 minutes before training and wasn't a huge meal so I'm not trying to digest a lot of food before training. Then during training sip on an intra-workout shake. And leave about 1/2 left for the end of training then have a BIG P/C meal at home post-workout.

And MAS is right about the cardio. I include cardio year round because not only are there health benefits but it keeps the metabolism stoked and makes it easier to eat more while staying lean. I prefer 3 days of cardio.

You daily kcals seem awefully low for your size when trying to gain weight. By having fewer carbs on off days and more carbs on training days you can probably eat more and will be able to get more nutrients when you need them most, around your training.

I keep track of my macros and for most foods, just focus on what primary macro they are. For example, oatmeal has protein in it, but I do not count it towards my protein for that meal. For me, tracking macros allows for easier adjustments if I am either not gaining weight or gaining too much and it makes it easier to see which meals can be adjusted based on how I feel and my goals.

If you are having trouble gaining and reach a sticking point, then you can add in one cheat meal, and stick with this for a few weeks monitoring progress and if that isn't enought add in another.

That is just my $0.02....
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Im eating WAAAY more than that during a prep at roughly the same size as you, just a bit heavier....Those calories to me seem incredibly low. Maybe if you do nothing but eat and sleep all day, but not doing blindingly hard training sessions or even getting outta bed to walk and get a coffee....That's just very little food....
        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Like other said, that's not very much food....I'm 5"8 175 right now and in the process of a cut that started back at 185 and I average 2000 calories daily. There's no way you are eating enough, IMO.
          Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

You'll have to tinker with a lot of factors and see what works for you personally. Limiting carbs to certain times can help minimize fat gain

Comment

Am I wrong or is it Skiploading is so successful because Skip individually directs people? A good method with experienced assessment?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
              International Elite Raw Powerlifter
              Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn "Future" Bellon View Post
                Am I wrong or is it Skiploading is so successful because Skip individually directs people? A good method with experienced assessment?

I think that I can answer that at least for ME, since I have worked with Skip for quite awhile now.....It absolutely is the combination of the Skipload in conjunction with the personalized approach that Skip takes to each client's diet in my opinion. However, I think that it has been talked about so much on here and other sites, the DVD, and namely others journals, that alot of guys may be able to deduce how they can incorporate it successfully into their own diet plan....The Skipload in my opinion is not gonna do a whole hell of alot if a guy tries to implement it and has a faulty daily diet plan. That is what is key, which is what Skip really personalizes for each client, and then the Skipload is tailored from the weekly progress of the diet plan....Because Skip is SOOO good at figuring what works for his client, I feel that one could get much more out of a Skipload working with him rather than not.....But there are those who really know their body well, who could probably throw this in and figure it out and have it work for them very well.....BUT, imo, like you kinda eluded to, I think one would learn much more as to how it works and how to manage it working with Skip rather than just trying it on their own. Experience is often overlooked, and his expertise could set one on the right path so they could absolutely do it on their own after working with him, permitted they paid attention.....lol
                STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I needed someone to hold my feet to the fire and figure out these details for me because I didn't want to think about it while I'm dealing with this whole being a student again.
                  #docswholift
                  PGY-1 FM
                  "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Steel,

Sorta what I was thinking. Thanks for responding.

International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                    Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Plus, SKIP put out the Longevity DVD which gives you more than enough to get started on figuring out how to Skipload. If you pay attention you should be able to put together a pretty good diet and after a little trial and error you should know how to tailor it to suit your body and needs.

Now, that's not to say that you shouldn't work with SKIP...I did and learned more beyond that which I picked up from the DVD, but Longevity gives you the basics and from there it's on each individual to tweak it here and there until it works for him/her. But if you're no good with figuring out dieting you should give SKIP a run, even on one of his ECON or experimental plans.
                      Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Please, stop posting on this thread, I was using it to see if anyone else included skiploading into their offseason. I have come to the conclusion that this is not optimal or even intended. I have already VERY successfully included skiploading for cutting purposes. I just had a hard time giving up my Sunday feasts for gaining weight again lol.

Comment

To my knowledge, people skip load off season, just the load isn't as big since they are not as glycogen depleted.

Comment

Why wouldn't Skiploading be optimal in the off season?

I explain in the DVD why it is good for the offseason, as well.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                            Instagram: @intensemuscle
                            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Skip, thank you for mentioning that! I watched the DVD again and I'll try to summarize what I could get from the DVD for offseason skiploading:

Even if your on a high carbohydrate diet skip-loading will still work its hypo-caloric magic. It's not all about glycogen. Skip-loading is just a simpler way to carb cycle. Maintain a more steady influx of your macros throughout the week and still incorporate a weekly skipload that is simply at a shorter duration for offseason.

Your Skiploading duration and macro totals/day will vary significantly from person to person depending on many things including training volume, lifestyle, bodytype, etc. <<--That's where Skip comes in
                              Last edited by liftweights; 07-05-2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X