Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squats

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Squats

    How deep do you go and why? Up until recently I have always squatted with a wide stance, low bar position and to what I thought was parallel. After seeing a vid from the side I was actually high. I decided to change it up for a while and bring feet in, bar up, and go as deep as I could. Weight used dropped big time. Which method is better for hypertrophy? Or does each have it's place (kinda like rack pulls vs deadlifts)?
    LKQSJH
    Intense Muscle Competitor
    Last edited by LKQSJH; 06-26-2012, 12:35 PM.
    6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
    1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

  • #2
    IMO doing 3" squats won't do much for you. Guys may use lockouts and such for helping with their powerlifting goals, but I think for bb'ing purposes, a narrower stance going to parallel would be best suited....Alot of guys have recently been admitting that due to their body structure, that squats have not really helped their legs GROW....Get strong, yes, put on muscle, no.....I have always squatted, and even though I can squat in the mid 4's (not great at all), I think my leg size doesn't reflect my strength at all. I see shorter guys who have never squatted above 315 with legs MUCH larger than mine....I'm gonna re-evaluate my leg training for my offseason, and the emphasis this year will NOT be focused on squats. I wanna see if I can get good growth without squats, and also see if my back issues are kept at bay as well.....

    Just my take on it....
    STEEL




    "SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

    Comment


    • #3
      Steel, I have gotten more quad development in the last few months of doing nothing but hack squats than my last couple years of doing nothing but free squats.
      SkinnyMike42
      Intense Muscle Competitor
      Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 06-26-2012, 04:55 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Each has it's place. I prefer to squat PL style but wish I had developed/maintained OLY style because now I cant high bar squat for my life. I would equate it more to conventional and sumo DL instead of a rack DL. Both can be used, they both help the other out, and there is no real right or wrong answer for which to do.
        That being said you should be getting at least parallel when doing your squats, if you aren't you need to figure out what's limiting you and fix it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by big ross View Post
          Each has it's place. I prefer to squat PL style but wish I had developed/maintained OLY style because now I cant high bar squat for my life. I would equate it more to conventional and sumo DL instead of a rack DL. Both can be used, they both help the other out, and there is no real right or wrong answer for which to do.
          That being said you should be getting at least parallel when doing your squats, if you aren't you need to figure out what's limiting you and fix it.
          I agree with this, I use a wide stance and still hit below parallel.

          Comment


          • #6
            I use a shoulder width or narrower stance for free squats and I'm parallel or below at 6'3-4" tall, with CRAZY long legs. I guess what I'm getting at is that if someone built like myself can get parallel or better (took me a couple years to get my form down), anyone can....

            Skinny Mike, I think your post was supposed to read that you HAVE gotten more quad development with hacks, correct? If so, I have heard this before, and I am going to seriously concentrate on making them one of my core movements for legs in my offseason.....
            STEEL




            "SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes, I fixed my post. Sorry about the confusion.

              The way they feel on your legs is similar to squatting, but since your back never gives out, legs get properly stimulated. For tall guys like us, our backs typically give out on free squats before our quads.


              To the OP, as for squat depth...just look at my AVI. I am 6'5" with insane leg bias and you can see how deep I get.

              Comment


              • #8
                Just to clarify I wasn't trying to compare a 1/4 squat to a full squat. I normally hit depth no prob but also have someone calling depth for me. I am not making excuses about hitting depth other than what i thought was parallel from the front wasnt when viewed from the side. When I do a high bar Olympic style squat there is no depth to call because I am going far below parallel. My question is for hypertrophy which one is more effective or should you just use both?
                6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
                1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok buddy what are you going for. If you have a typical leg day it would matter on the rest of your leg exercises. For simplicity you should be able to squat more with PL style and your legs will thicken out. If you want quad work elect for high bar squats.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For me, it ain't a squat if it ain't arse to grass. The chap I train legs with (big dude) changed my squat from power-lifting form - throwing the weight to the Glutes and hams, to a more quad specific squat where my torso is a lot more vertical and my knees come forward far more. This killed my strength but my quads grew. It really depends on how you want to work your legs. I am trying to avoid using my arse as much as possible. (It's the size of a horse. Lol.)
                    TEAM :tea: SKIP

                    2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
                    2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you want that squat-butt, you'll go low.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
                        Yes, I fixed my post. Sorry about the confusion.

                        The way they feel on your legs is similar to squatting, but since your back never gives out, legs get properly stimulated. For tall guys like us, our backs typically give out on free squats before our quads.


                        To the OP, as for squat depth...just look at my AVI. I am 6'5" with insane leg bias and you can see how deep I get.
                        Steel, I too have moved from full squats to the Hack machine and have seen some good growth from it. I started doing heavy hacks this off season instead of squats due to some back issues (old wrestling injury) just to see how everything would feel, and I am loving them (or hating them as they leave my quads sore as shit for days!) LOL! I am not tall (5'7") and I LOVE squats, but I really felt at 43 yrs old my back was limiting my growth and the weakest link in the chain (plus, I already have a shelf-ass from all the years of squatting). Give em a shot, I think you will find lots of positive feedback as long as you have a good hack machine that doesn't trash your knees (that is hard to find in some gyms).
                        "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MaxNat View Post
                          Steel, I too have moved from full squats to the Hack machine and have seen some good growth from it. I started doing heavy hacks this off season instead of squats due to some back issues (old wrestling injury) just to see how everything would feel, and I am loving them (or hating them as they leave my quads sore as shit for days!) LOL! I am not tall (5'7") and I LOVE squats, but I really felt at 43 yrs old my back was limiting my growth and the weakest link in the chain (plus, I already have a shelf-ass from all the years of squatting). Give em a shot, I think you will find lots of positive feedback as long as you have a good hack machine that doesn't trash your knees (that is hard to find in some gyms).
                          Yeah, I'm gonna try them for sure. Too much strain on my back these days with regular squats.....
                          STEEL




                          "SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MusclesAreSexy View Post
                            For me, it ain't a squat if it ain't arse to grass. The chap I train legs with (big dude) changed my squat from power-lifting form - throwing the weight to the Glutes and hams, to a more quad specific squat where my torso is a lot more vertical and my knees come forward far more. This killed my strength but my quads grew. It really depends on how you want to work your legs. I am trying to avoid using my arse as much as possible. (It's the size of a horse. Lol.)
                            Interesting. I'll have to try it, but at first glance, vertical back on back squats would mean a number of things to me:

                            1) I'd fall over backwards,
                            2) I'd come up on the balls of my feet.
                            3) Depth? Not going to happen.

                            Has that been your experience?
                            I've won on so many levels already I don't even care how I do at the show. I just wanna look damn good!!

                            --Steel

                            Muscles don't know how old they are.

                            Treat them like they are old and eat soup... and they will be.

                            Train 'em hard and feed them like a stud... and they will be.

                            So will you.


                            Journal

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dean3238 View Post
                              Interesting. I'll have to try it, but at first glance, vertical back on back squats would mean a number of things to me:

                              1) I'd fall over backwards,
                              2) I'd come up on the balls of my feet.
                              3) Depth? Not going to happen.

                              Has that been your experience?
                              As long as the bar is above your centre of gravity you won't fall over.
                              If you come up on the balls of your feet, start stretching your calves daily and squat with plates under your heals for now. Gradually use thinner plates and you will eventually have the flexibility to squat arse to grass like this without plates and your feet flat. That's my experience and the experience of some of my friends and trainees. A close mate of mine explained this to me a day before he died on a motorbike. Just like everything he said, it was pure gold spilling out his mouth.
                              TEAM :tea: SKIP

                              2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
                              2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X