Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic Meats

Is it worth the extra cost?

I've been considering buying organic meats lately. I think there is some merit to buying something that lacks the growth hormone we see in a lot of meats. Often times organic also means the animal was fed a more rounded diet rather than just heaps of corn meal. Grass fed beef definitely looks more appetizing at the grocery store.

However there is the downside of the large cost differential in organic vs nonorganic meats. I don't think I could buy/eat nearly as much meat as I normally do on a day to day basis if it was organic. The cost would just be too high. Could I eat relatively less, but higher quality meat and still get all the nutrients of more, run of the mill meat?

So for those of you who eat organic meats, why do you do it and do you see any added benefits of doing so? How do you work around the high costs of organic meats?

-Tan
    Wanna save 5% on your trueprotein orders? Use my code! CTN001

Originally posted by chris.tan View Post
    Is it worth the extra cost?

I've been considering buying organic meats lately. I think there is some merit to buying something that lacks the growth hormone we see in a lot of meats. Often times organic also means the animal was fed a more rounded diet rather than just heaps of corn meal. Grass fed beef definitely looks more appetizing at the grocery store.

However there is the downside of the large cost differential in organic vs nonorganic meats. I don't think I could buy/eat nearly as much meat as I normally do on a day to day basis if it was organic. The cost would just be too high. Could I eat relatively less, but higher quality meat and still get all the nutrients of more, run of the mill meat?

So for those of you who eat organic meats, why do you do it and do you see any added benefits of doing so? How do you work around the high costs of organic meats?

-Tan
    I don't ---- 2-3 dollars per pound compared to 6-7 dollars per pound. I know it is better for you, but as much protein as a lot of us eat, it would break my bank. So I don't even worry about it.

Comment

To my knowledge, the most of the nasty stuff in non organic meat (chemicals from the antibiotics and pesticides etc) is stored in the fat, so if you don't buy organic, eat lean cuts. I'm basically regurgitating John meadows. From a taste perspective, grass fed beef is so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by melkor1 View Post
        To my knowledge, the most of the nasty stuff in non organic meat (chemicals from the antibiotics and pesticides etc) is stored in the fat, so if you don't buy organic, eat lean cuts. I'm basically regurgitating John meadows. From a taste perspective, grass fed beef is so much better.
        This is correct. If you wanna buy healthier meat but can't afford to buy all organic, get regular chicken breasts and lean beef, and spend a little more extra on eggs and fattier cuts (and whole milk if you're into that).

Comment

Originally posted by melkor1 View Post
          Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
          This is correct. If you wanna buy healthier meat but can't afford to buy all organic, get regular chicken breasts and lean beef, and spend a little more extra on eggs and fattier cuts (and whole milk if you're into that).
          Good info guys :yo:

I try to buy organic as much as I can, especially with beef, and I almost always buy organic eggs.

Grass fed beef definitely tastes better and it seems that organic free range eggs have a richer taste as well.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
            Good info guys :yo:

I try to buy organic as much as I can, especially with beef, and I almost always buy organic eggs.

Grass fed beef definitely tastes better and it seems that organic free range eggs have a richer taste as well.
            you're right, richer taste, and a much more orange yoke colour compared to the paler battery chicken eggs.

Comment

I like grass fed beef, but I try to keep my costs down.Instead, I buy all my meat from my local butcher, and he gets local beef, bison, chicken. I like this better than the grocery store stuff.
              2005 HOA Natural Classic
              2006 OCB Midwest
              2007 ABA Natural Illinois
              2008 HOA Natural Classic
              NPC Mid-Illinois
              NPC Midwest Open
              NPC Natural Grand Prix
              2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
              USPA Illinois State
              NGA Heart of America
              NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

The best way I've found to keep costs down is to do a search for local farms raise grass fed Cows. Often if you go in on your purchase with someone else you can get a deal. Also, some of these farms sell freezers at a good discount if they know you are going to be a long term client. It might take some time, but the savings in money for taking the time will be worth it. As far as the savings in health, I'm not an expert, but it does make sense at least from a bodybuilding perspective. If you think about it. How many of us were worried about getting a gram of Soy Protein for fear of raising our estrogen. I have a feeling that cattle being fed hormones, which can be stored in their fat tissue will have a bigger influence on your hormones. This may not be a big deal to the average person, but if you want to get into contest shape this is of the up most importance.
                1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Leading on from what Doberman said, http://www.eatwild.com/ is a good site for finding local farms (in America). I'm English, and im fortunate enough to have a dad who owns an organic and free range butchers

Comment

Sounds like there are three crowds.

Dont give a f

Organic would be nice, but its too expensive. Go lean instead.

I eat organic because it's gonna keep me healthy.

Crowd #3, do you still eat crazy large portions of meat or do you fill your plate with more veggies? Do you drink more shakes to bump up the protein? Lastly, do you notice some benefits to the better meat besides just tasting better?
                    Wanna save 5% on your trueprotein orders? Use my code! CTN001

Comment

Originally posted by chris.tan View Post
                      Sounds like there are three crowds.

Dont give a f

Organic would be nice, but its too expensive. Go lean instead.

I eat organic because it's gonna keep me healthy.

Crowd #3, do you still eat crazy large portions of meat or do you fill your plate with more veggies? Do you drink more shakes to bump up the protein? Lastly, do you notice some benefits to the better meat besides just tasting better?
                      I'm mostly in the #3 crowd. The Costco near us started selling more organic meats so that has been very convenient and not too expensive ($2.50/lb more than non-organic). Mo and I eat just as much chicken as we did before going organic, but we also budget accordingly knowing that we are going to spend a lot each week on food.

I have a really sensitive stomach, so yes, I do notice a difference in terms of how I feel. It might not make much of a difference for someone else though.
                      2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Figure & Overall
                      2013 NPC Rhode Island - 1st Figure
                      2012 NPC Emerald Cup - 2nd Figure
                      2010 NPC Northwest Championships - 4th Figure

Comment

I'll buy meat from the local butcher whenever I can, a) it supports local business and b) it tastes better. Plus, trips to the farmers market are usually pretty fun.
                        …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Mark has it right, if you can't afford organic meat, then buy from your local butchers or directly from a farm. Farms can't support the demand of the supermarkets, so they have to make some cutbacks, resulting in the quality of meat from a butcher being higher

Comment

^ What you talkin' bout Willis?

Anyway, I only eat grass-fed beef. I started about 2 years ago and I am not going back to regular beef as long as I can afford it!

I get half of my beef from Trader Joe's (Grass-fed ground beef - 85% lean, tastes great) and the other half from http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok (I usually get the flank steaks).

You are what you eat. And what you eat needs to also eat right.
                            Save 5% at www.truenutrition.com with the Discount Code TEI736!

Comment

If you hunt or know some hunters that can be an option to explore for game meat, could be a big discount over 'organic'.

Comment

Working...
                              X