Training injuries, describe your worst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training injuries, describe your worst

About 3 weeks ago I was doing T-Bar rows. I wasn't using silly weights...probably 7x 25lb plates on the end of the bar for sets of 10. On my 4th set I TORQUED my low back. I walked out of the gym hunched over and limping.

Next day, I got a shot of Toradol (anti-inflammatory) and within 48 hours I felt pretty good. I even made a comeback to the gym. Then while at work I went to pick up a light object and TORQUED my back worse. For about 12 days I was in EXTREME pain. No sleep at night because I could not get comfortable. The pain radiated into my right quad. The quad would twitch out of control for extended periods of time. I am finally at 80% and not in constant pain. But this has been my WORST training injury ever.

Things I wont do ever again: T Bar rows, Bent rows.
    Fracture from Dropping Weight
    0.00%
    Fractured Toes / Foot
    2.08%
    Fractured Tibia, Fibula, Femur
    2.08%
    Knee Ligament a/o Meniscus Tear
    6.25%
    Hip / Pelvis Injury, E.g., Dislocation
    2.08%
    Low Back: Disk, Ligament, Fracture, Nerve-Related
    13.54%
    Thoracic, Cervical Spine: Disk, Ligament, Fracture, Nerve-Related
    2.08%
    Shoulder: Labrum, Rotator Cuff, Other
    8.33%
    Elbow: Ligament, Tennis/Golfer's Elbow
    7.29%
    Wrist/Hand: Carpal Tunnel, Fracture, Other
    7.29%
    Pulled Muscle: Calf
    1.04%
    Pulled Muscle: Hamstring
    3.13%
    Pulled Muscle: Quad
    2.08%
    Pulled Muscle: Groin
    6.25%
    Pulled Muscle: Glute, Low Back
    7.29%
    Pulled Muscle: Abdominal
    2.08%
    Pulled Muscle: Pec
    6.25%
    Pulled Muscle: Trap, Neck
    6.25%
    Pulled Muscle: Delt, Shoulder area
    4.17%
    Pulled Muscle: Triceps
    1.04%
    Pulled Muscle: Biceps
    2.08%
    Pulled Muscle: Other
    1.04%
    Hernia: Umbilical
    0.00%
    Hernia: Inguinal
    2.08%
    Hernia: Rectal
    0.00%
    Hernia: Other
    0.00%
    Combo Injury (Describe in Post)
    1.04%
    Clusterfuck Injury (Describe in Post)
    0.00%
    FUBAR Injury (Describe in Post)
    1.04%
    I train like (and actually WITH) a Girlscout and am Injury Free
    2.08%
    Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Damn man, sorry to hear. I've been there too, from squating.

My scariest 'injury' was when I was close grip bench pressing, suicide grip. My training partner's towel was lying on the floor, and my foot happened to be on it. I had the weight above me, arms straight up, and I happened to notice it then. I tried to kick out the towel out, and during the momentary loss of focus, I lost balance and dropped 295 pounds on my chest. It landed nipple level, and I was able to blunt the weight bit with my forearm. It could have been a lot worse, and I only missed a couple of weeks. It scared the shit out of me though.

I have also had an inguinal hernia from deadlifting, which I underwent surgery for earlier in the year.

Anyway, all the best in your recovery.

Comment

I was at 24 hr fitness, which I usually don't go to. But my brother was in town. And haven't been back since. He has a membership there and gets guests in free. I went to the pull up bar with steps, did some pull ups. I hopped off the steps and twisted my knee, haven't felt that much pain in a long time. Couldn't walk on it for 3 days. And it took a month before I even thought about going back into the gym. It took almost a year for me to feel completely comfortable with it.

I also screwed up my back in the smith machine doing squats, in the first year I started lifting. Haven't done squats in the smith again.

Comment

Take your pic:
        1) broken right hand after crushing it under a barbell with 635 on it
        2) torn tissue in L5/S1 joint
        3) comminuted fracture (i.e., shattered bone) from dropping a 45 on my big toe
        4) destroyed ego from looking at my fat gut in the mirror
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

Ruptured L5/S1-microdiskectomy
          Torn Pectoralis- surgically reattached
          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
          17 AAU Super Total
          '16-AAU Hi
          '15-USPA Metro
          '15-USPA State
          '15-AAU HI
          '14-AAU HI
          '14-USPA Metro
          '14-WABDL Sonny's
          '14-USPA State
          '14-HI Strongman
          '13-USPA
          '13-WABDL Sonny's
          '13-USPA State
          '13-AAU HI
          '11-USPA Metro
          '10-NPC Stingrey
          '09-NPC Islands
          '09-NPC Stingrey
          '09-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA IronWorks
          '01-NPC Paradise Cup
          '01-ABA Olympia
          '01-ABA Islands
          '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
          '00-INBF Musclefest
          '98-NGA Ill
          '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

My buddy tore a pec. That is a LOOOOOONG recovery. Of all the "common" injuries I think a torn pec would be first on my list of things I DON'T want. After suffering this low back thing I will say, low back/nerves/spine is nothing to fukk around with. Scary shit.
            Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Inguinal hernia-surgery to repair
              Ruptured L5/S1
              Last edited by maddzz; 06-08-2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Torn pec under heavy flat bench negative (following Shawn Phillips "How to add 50lbs to your bench" that came with a MM2000 magazine). Entire right side black and blue from hip to elbow from internal bleeding within about 2 hours. 6 months of no upper body training. This was 16 years ago and still scared to bench heavy.
                "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything..."

On board TEAM SKIP

Comment

Ha....I did the MM2000 bench routine back in the day. Took me from 320 to 365, that sh** was hard but it worked...
                  '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                  17 AAU Super Total
                  '16-AAU Hi
                  '15-USPA Metro
                  '15-USPA State
                  '15-AAU HI
                  '14-AAU HI
                  '14-USPA Metro
                  '14-WABDL Sonny's
                  '14-USPA State
                  '14-HI Strongman
                  '13-USPA
                  '13-WABDL Sonny's
                  '13-USPA State
                  '13-AAU HI
                  '11-USPA Metro
                  '10-NPC Stingrey
                  '09-NPC Islands
                  '09-NPC Stingrey
                  '09-ABA Islands
                  '02-ABA Islands
                  '02-ABA IronWorks
                  '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                  '01-ABA Olympia
                  '01-ABA Islands
                  '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                  '00-INBF Musclefest
                  '98-NGA Ill
                  '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Mine was a strained lower back in February, while I was warming up for deadlifts. It felt like my erector spinae had been ripped like a sheet of paper when it happened. I had been warming up for deads with weights that were way too heavy for a 1st or 2nd warm-up set, and I only realized how stupid that had been when I had a look at Sammich's journal and I saw that his second warm-up set for deads was not done with 315 lbs (and, unlike me, he can deadlift over 500 lbs.) About a month later, after a lot of stretching and exercises that didn't tax my lower back too much, I started deadlifting again, beginning with one plate per side and adding 15 lbs per side for the following warm ups, until I got to my working sets.

Coincidentally, an hour after that incident my son became feverish and wanted me to pick him up and hold him in my arms all the time, for the best part of the following two days. And, though he didn't weigh more than 24 lbs back then, it hurt like hell every time I bent over to grab him.

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
                      Things I wont do ever again: T Bar rows, Bent rows.
                      How about supported?
                      PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Most of my injuries were while I was training for sports:
                        -Broken Fibula (Football)
                        -Broken Elbow (baseball - never healed and now I have a calcium deposit in my elbow preventing full extension)
                        -Broken acromion (wrestling)
                        -Hernia (wrestling)
                        -3 Serious Concussions (football)

Injuries Since I stopped playing sports:
                        -Dislocated Shoulder - Warming up doing Incline DB Bench. Shoulder came out of the socket and was up near my neck. I reset it myself by grabbing a 150 lb DB and yanking as hard as I could. After it was back in place I attempted to finish my workout. I couldn't grip or use my left arm so I finished the workout unilaterally.
                        -Pulled Oblique
                        -Torn Labrum
                        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                          How about supported?
                          Yes I absolutely love chest supported rows. My gym has one nice Hammer Str chest supported low row. I know supported rows tooks some hits from DC followers due to breathing issues when you go heavy, but after the low back injury I need to train more carefully. I really wish my gym would get one of these:

Comment

2007 - Torn Pec Minor doing flat BB bench
                            2010 - Torqued lower back/sciatica doing floor deads
                            2011 - Torn something in the upper back (tricep/lat insertion area) doing floor deads
                            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I have had three bad ones.....

2003 or 2004: blew out 3 discs in lower back. Rehab and chiropractic got me better in about a year.
                              2008?: displaced SI Joint doing bent rows.....took over a year to train again.
                              2011: bad groin pull that I kept aggravating all year.

In the past I've had a strained or slightly torn left bicep. Had bruising and out of commission for awhile.

Strained or slightly torn pec that had slight bruising and pain, missed about a month or so....

Outside of training I had a helmet to helmet hit in football that left me with 2 bad discs in my neck, which caused a myriad of issues for me 15 years after the fact. After my MRI my chiro told me it looked like I had been in a serious car accident....lol
                              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Working...
                              X