Reverse Grip Bench Form Check (vid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Grip Bench Form Check (vid)

I tried doing reverse grip bench in the smith for the first time in about a year and I had a hard time getting the form down on these and really feeling it in my triceps. I watched some videos online and it looks like most people lower the bar down to the nipple area. When I tried doing this it felt extremely uncomfortable on my shoulders. If I bring the bar lower (like the to my top abs) it feels a lot better on my shoulders. I could feel my triceps working a little but not as much as I feel like they should be working. Also my triceps aren't sore at all today.

Here's a vid of me doing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHACU...6&feature=plcp

[youtube]lHACU3LnRwk[/youtube]

Any advice?

from a kinesiology standpoint these always made perferct sense to me but i could never feel them either....until i started usign a BB instead of smith. Works much much better for me. main downside is it requries a spot for the unrack/rerack....
    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
    17 AAU Super Total
    '16-AAU Hi
    '15-USPA Metro
    '15-USPA State
    '15-AAU HI
    '14-AAU HI
    '14-USPA Metro
    '14-WABDL Sonny's
    '14-USPA State
    '14-HI Strongman
    '13-USPA
    '13-WABDL Sonny's
    '13-USPA State
    '13-AAU HI
    '11-USPA Metro
    '10-NPC Stingrey
    '09-NPC Islands
    '09-NPC Stingrey
    '09-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA IronWorks
    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
    '01-ABA Olympia
    '01-ABA Islands
    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
    '00-INBF Musclefest
    '98-NGA Ill
    '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Yeah, top of the abs for me...to the nips and they just jack up my shoulders as well.

It might be just because you haven't really progressed on them just yet. Once you start doing 275-315, I'm pretty sure you'll start feeling it. Your body's kinda gun-shy to go all out, I say just give it more time/weight/reps.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

I've only always done them with a barbell an I feel them great but to do so I do down pretty low almost half way between chest an belly button if you think about it in order to keep your elbows in an hit tris have the arms come down to a 90 degree tour coming well into the abdomen area. So give bb a chance if you can

Comment

Originally posted by punkguitarist View Post
          I tried doing reverse grip bench in the smith for the first time in about a year and I had a hard time getting the form down on these and really feeling it in my triceps. I watched some videos online and it looks like most people lower the bar down to the nipple area. When I tried doing this it felt extremely uncomfortable on my shoulders. If I bring the bar lower (like the to my top abs) it feels a lot better on my shoulders. I could feel my triceps working a little but not as much as I feel like they should be working. Also my triceps aren't sore at all today.

Here's a vid of me doing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHACU...6&feature=plcp

[youtube]lHACU3LnRwk[/youtube]

Any advice?

Are you trying to work triceps or focusing on chest??
          If tris are your focus I would narrow the grip up.
          On a good day I can get 315 for 10 going narrow though and I bring the bar a bit higher up the chest the you , but yes too high doesn't feel natural.
          A girl walks up to me and says" My God you're good looking!"
          ME " I know"
          Her"WHAT!"
          Me " I know I am good looking"
          Her" You're also and asshole"
          ME " I know that too!"

Comment

Defo need a narrower grip, i'd personally be looking to keep elbows tucked in.
            Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
              Yeah, top of the abs for me...to the nips and they just jack up my shoulders as well.

It might be just because you haven't really progressed on them just yet. Once you start doing 275-315, I'm pretty sure you'll start feeling it. Your body's kinda gun-shy to go all out, I say just give it more time/weight/reps.

Yeah, I second this. Top of the abs otherwise my shoulders really hurt.
              Do more weight and really focus on extending the arms out at the end of the movement. Obviously, the bar is on a fixed plane, so it won't move out, but maybe this will allow you to feel it in your triceps more without jacking your shoulders up. I believe that they cover this on the Jason Wojo DC training DVD.
              "The Dude Abides" Please Use Discount Code: JNC825

Comment

stop squirming around, slow your negatives down and don't bounce it off your chest
                CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
                MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
                2010 NGA Pro Universe
                2010 NPC Monster Mash
                2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
                2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
                2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
                2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
                2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
                2008 NPC Ohio State
                2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

I feel them more in my tri's with a very wide grip.....narrow doesn't feel right to me either....
                  STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I prefer them on a decline bench, you could try that to see how it goes.
                    "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                    Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                    'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                    ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                      stop squirming around, slow your negatives down and don't bounce it off your chest
                      x2, not the best form, drop the weight down and bring it back up in good form. :o
                      PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                        x2, not the best form, drop the weight down and bring it back up in good form. :o
                        This

And for me, i only do them on a 7* smith. I touch lower chest. (Love to see a vid of someone hitting mid belly) and use the 7* so the bar travels towards my head as i press it...hope ya know what i mean.

Btw i watched the vid on my phone so maybe it isnt as bad as it looked on the small screen but you also seem to be "extending" your shoulder forward off the bench as you lock out, keep the down and retracted the whole time. I have some old vids on my youtube page where i think the form and rep speed is pretty good if ya wanna check it out.

.peace
                        Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                        Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                        Nicki Minaj

Comment

Working...
                        X