Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoulder damage question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shoulder damage question

    A friend of mine has been diagnosed with deteriorative arthritis, tendonitis and impingement of shoulder/upper bicep. They suggested either a shot or "clean up surgery".
    At this point he has opted for the shot.

    He has laid off heavy lifting for the past 5 weeks or so (his most recent press was in the 300 for 6 range prior to lay off) but stayed active with cardio.

    His shoulder is feeling better and he is ready to get back at the weights
    Are there any recommendations on how to train with or around this condition?

    What thoughts does anyone have about the surgery option?
    Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
    -John Ceasar

  • #2
    sorry to hear about your friend.

    I was diagnosed with impingement and was forced to pt.

    In my situation - i did not want a clean up.

    I am sure other guys with more experience will chime in
    [http://www.truenutrition.com

    -discount code: ADA774-



    Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
    Save 5% on all orders.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mister69 View Post
      sorry to hear about your friend.

      I was diagnosed with impingement and was forced to pt.

      In my situation - i did not want a clean up.

      I am sure other guys with more experience will chime in
      Thanks for the reply.
      Ive steered hom towards the diesel crew rehab protocol.
      What did your training look like when you stated back?
      Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
      -John Ceasar

      Comment


      • #4
        I didn't have the same thing, but have dealt with a shoulder dislocation and torn labrum.

        Some of the things I did to help build up the joint:
        -Dante's Broomstick Stretch (Done twice per day working up to 30 reps each time)
        -Consistent deep shoulder stretches (see youtube video below)
        -Rotator cuff exercises (shoulder horn helped) and using exercise bands every morning to do internal and external rotations
        -Higher rep shoulder exercises and a lot of DB exercises to build stability

        [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdo2vmdHzBA&feature=g-like[/YOUTUBE]
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

        Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

        2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

        Comment


        • #5
          Mentalflex - u had a torn labrum and didn't need surgery?

          Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
          [http://www.truenutrition.com

          -discount code: ADA774-



          Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
          Save 5% on all orders.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mister69 View Post
            Mentalflex - u had a torn labrum and didn't need surgery?

            Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
            It was suggested, but I didn't want it. It took a bit to get healthy, but I'm fine now, for the most part. I still get little twings here and there, but nothing too serious.

            I'll never be able to do real heavy free weight pressing exercises, but Scott and I have come up with work-arounds for that.

            Just thinking about it, wow, it will be three years in August since this injury.
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

            Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

            2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

            Comment


            • #7
              That's amazing that you don't have issues with a labrum tear.

              Usually labrum tears are bad news.

              I myself have to be extremely careful aswell with shoulder and chest work.

              My mri was clean...but its still possible that there was a tear in there.

              Oh well still kicking ;-)
              [http://www.truenutrition.com

              -discount code: ADA774-



              Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
              Save 5% on all orders.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for your replies guys.
                Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                -John Ceasar

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lhart6272 View Post
                  A friend of mine has been diagnosed with deteriorative arthritis, tendonitis and impingement of shoulder/upper bicep. They suggested either a shot or "clean up surgery".
                  At this point he has opted for the shot.

                  He has laid off heavy lifting for the past 5 weeks or so (his most recent press was in the 300 for 6 range prior to lay off) but stayed active with cardio.

                  His shoulder is feeling better and he is ready to get back at the weights
                  Are there any recommendations on how to train with or around this condition?

                  What thoughts does anyone have about the surgery option?
                  How did the Shot work?

                  I just got a shot for arthritis in my shoulder.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I assume the "shot" was cortisone? The issue I have with that approach is that it masks the pain, so you feel better and may opt to start training hard again only to do more damage. I suppose if he has rested for 5 weeks then there should be some healing and if he approaches a start up back to training cautiously he may be ok.
                    My attitude has changed a lot since my experience with shoulder problems and now opt for the most aggressive treatment possible up front. I just feel that the PT and cortisone shots simply delay the inevitable.
                    -KidRok-
                    "...because I won't accept that I can't."


                    www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                    5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

                    https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KidRok View Post
                      I assume the "shot" was cortisone? The issue I have with that approach is that it masks the pain, so you feel better and may opt to start training hard again only to do more damage. I suppose if he has rested for 5 weeks then there should be some healing and if he approaches a start up back to training cautiously he may be ok.
                      My attitude has changed a lot since my experience with shoulder problems and now opt for the most aggressive treatment possible up front. I just feel that the PT and cortisone shots simply delay the inevitable.
                      So you would go right to the Surgery?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
                        So you would go right to the Surgery?
                        Yep, get it fixed right the 1st time. But that's just me. I've had both shoulders done now so I know what to expect.
                        -KidRok-
                        "...because I won't accept that I can't."


                        www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                        5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

                        https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X