No announcement yet.

Transitioning back into an athlete....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transitioning back into an athlete....

Hey guys.......I haven't been around much lately.......been busy with work and another baby.

Well, I'm looking for opinions on something. I'm sure I'm going to take heat for it, but I figured it was a discussion worth having.

This past year and half has been fairly eye opening in regards to my bodybuilding "hobby". I've spent the last 15 years (since I graduated high school) going down the traditional bodybuilding path. Trained my butt off, kept up with my steady-state cardio (for the most part), and ate what I needed to grow. I've always trained clean, and now that I'm 33, my growth potential is fading quickly. I'm now 6'-1" with a lean mass of somewhere around 200-210 lbs. (My current weight is WAY more than it should be!) I never competed, but looking back on it now, I can't say that I regret it like I thought I was going to. I'm perfectly content with what I've been able to do up to this point.

But....

As time goes on, I find myself being more motivated to transition into a more athletically-oriented path.

Now, don't get me wrong.....I don't want to wither myself down to a scrawny frame......I still want to hang onto what I have. But I think my paranoia of exerting myself too much when it comes to cardio is holding me back from enjoying other things in life. (This is probably true of alot of guys.)

I'm to the point where I really don't care all that much about growing anymore. (I probably couldn't squeeze much more out anyway.) Instead, I want to be able to run around the yard with my kids and not get winded within 5 minutes. I want to be able to hike up steep hills and keep up with people much smaller than me. I want to be able to help my brother coach the wrestling team and take part in the practices. That sort of stuff isn't fun when you're carry around alot of weight.....even if it is muscle.

I've done steady-state cardio for YEARS, yet my cardiovascular capacity hasn't improved. I've dabbled with some HIIT sprinting cardio, and although I'm on-board with it, sprinting just causes too much impact on my joints.

So...........I'm going to break all the bodybuilding rules. I'm going to continue to weight train 3 days a week.....but my cardio will be completely against the rules. INSANITY. Yes, I said it. I'm going to do the INSANITY program as my cardio work.

INSANITY is done 6 days a week. I will be lifting 3 days a week. My gut feeling is either:
    (a) Only do INSANITY 4 days a week on my off days and drag it out longer than the 2 months, or
    (b) Do INSANITY in the morning of my workout days and hit the gym in the evening

So......when you all are done laughing, please provide any experiences you've had or heard of. This isn't going to be easy, I know. I'm trying to figure out how to setup my schedule so that I don't kill myself in the process.

I don't see anything wrong with it my man. I despise crossfit, insanity, P90x etc. thy bein said if you use it as a supplement or in your case cardio it can have its place.
    I also want to try and transition to more athletic instead of weightlifter. I'm 6ft 235 right now and any play bball for shit compared to my old self. Let us know how it goes and remember that you can not be a jack of all trades, there will be trade offs no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
      I don't see anything wrong with it my man. I despise crossfit, insanity, P90x etc. thy bein said if you use it as a supplement or in your case cardio it can have its place.
      I also want to try and transition to more athletic instead of weightlifter. I'm 6ft 235 right now and any play bball for shit compared to my old self. Let us know how it goes and remember that you can not be a jack of all trades, there will be trade offs no matter what.
      Sure, there's going to be trade offs.....but those trade offs are going to be well worth the improved cardivascular health that I gain. Last winter I was an assistant coach for the high school wrestling team. Now, for a big (250+) guy, I'm in pretty good shape.....I can run a 8 minute mile and do alot of things that other people my size can't. But.....it was fairly depressing to see how out of shape I really was.

We'll see what happens. I was expecting alot of other people chiming in by now, but I guess silence is deafening!

Comment

If you have time to keep a journal I'll be following along. I've thought alot about this too, granted I haven't been lifting nearly as long as you. To me, it just seems to make more sense to be extremely athletic (which doesn't mean becoming a 125lb x-fitter) than it does to be as large as you possibly can for the average person. Best of luck 5Spot.
        "no bulking, no cutting, no bullshit. Just training for being a motherfucker" -- Jim Wendler

"No fucking lifter is hardcore. Hardcore is taking shrapnel in the ass fighting for your country. We're lifting weights." -- Dave Tate

Check out my Journal

Comment

I don't see any conflict at all....everybody gets to the point in their life where 6 meals/day, being full most of the time and have stiff or sore shoulders, knees or lower backs just isn't appealing

Id train 6x week and do them on alternate days but let Insanity take priority at least until gain some proficiency at it.
          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
          17 AAU Super Total
          '16-AAU Hi
          '15-USPA Metro
          '15-USPA State
          '15-AAU HI
          '14-AAU HI
          '14-USPA Metro
          '14-WABDL Sonny's
          '14-USPA State
          '14-HI Strongman
          '13-USPA
          '13-WABDL Sonny's
          '13-USPA State
          '13-AAU HI
          '11-USPA Metro
          '10-NPC Stingrey
          '09-NPC Islands
          '09-NPC Stingrey
          '09-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA Islands
          '02-ABA IronWorks
          '01-NPC Paradise Cup
          '01-ABA Olympia
          '01-ABA Islands
          '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
          '00-INBF Musclefest
          '98-NGA Ill
          '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by BB85 View Post
            If you have time to keep a journal I'll be following along. I've thought alot about this too, granted I haven't been lifting nearly as long as you. To me, it just seems to make more sense to be extremely athletic (which doesn't mean becoming a 125lb x-fitter) than it does to be as large as you possibly can for the average person. Best of luck 5Spot.
            Yep.....that's my thoughts too. I'm no longer paranoid about over-exerting myself with cardio and possibly losing some size. To me, cardio of this nature serves more purpose than walking on a treadmill.

Now, historically speaking, I've been HORRIBLE with keeping journals. If I get into this and things go well, I'll start one up.

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
              I don't see any conflict at all....everybody gets to the point in their life where 6 meals/day, being full most of the time and have stiff or sore shoulders, knees or lower backs just isn't appealing

Id train 6x week and do them on alternate days but let Insanity take priority at least until gain some proficiency at it.
              Yeah, the first thing is to gauge just how bad it kicks my butt.....which I'm expecting to be a fairly thorough process. It might take awhile to figure out the best way to incorporate INSANITY into my overall schedule, but I'm still going to keep weight training as a higher priority. I'm actually due for a cruise here soon, so maybe I'll get a week or two of INSANITY completed first, then I'll be somewhat adapted.

Comment

Have you considered joining a MMA gym? kick boxing or grappling a few nights a week is great fun.
                Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                -John Ceasar

Comment

What is 'insanity'?
                  PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                    What is 'insanity'?
                    http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...ms/insanity.do
                    Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                    -John Ceasar

Comment

Aha.

[YOUTUBE]ZLK28BHJDd8[/YOUTUBE]
                      PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by lhart6272 View Post
                        Have you considered joining a MMA gym? kick boxing or grappling a few nights a week is great fun.
                        Well, not only do I not have anything like that around here (I'm in a pretty rural area), but my weight training is still going to be the main staple. I am a volunteer wrestling coach in the winter though.

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                        What is 'insanity'?
                        It looks like you found it. Yeah, it's a mass-produced DVD that is mainly a cardio workout. It's something that I would have made fun of a few years back, but I've since changed my mind.

EDIT - lol.....that video is embarassing......but.....the goals remain.
                        Last edited by 5spotbullseye; 06-07-2012, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Well, after I got home wednesday night (after a scaled-back leg session at the gym), I found my INSANITY package laying on the kitchen table.

The first thing you're supposed to do is this "fit test". This fit test is done every week which is supposed to measure your fitness progress from week to week. Well, wanting to get started, I figured that I'd knock out this fit test so I could start the actual program the next day. I'll just say this........there's nowhere to go but up. The warmup kicked my butt.

So, yesterday (Thursday) was an off-day from the gym. When I got home from work, I popped in the first DVD. I was feeling pretty good about myself early on, but that feeling didn't even make it through the warmup. I struggled throughout the workout, doing my best just to keep moving, let alone trying to keep up.

I've never felt so unathletic in my life. Considering my high school career consisted of a state championship in track and and state placewinner in wrestling, it's quite a humbling feeling. Even though this has been very humbling so far.....this is what I wanted. This solidifies why I need to do it.......I can't believe how out of shape (cardiovascular-wise) I really am.

I had a very skewed perspective of what being in shape really meant. it means a whole heck of alot more than just being lean. I think alot of people in the bodybuilding community get pulled into the same mindset unfortunately. This isn't a knock on anyone, because I realize different people have different goals, but if you're involved in bodybuilding for the purpose of staying fit, well there's probably better methods.

So, I'll be going forward with it. If anybody is interested in the time being, shoot me a PM.
                          Last edited by 5spotbullseye; 06-08-2012, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Good luck man. How's your back?
                            If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                            http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                            2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                            2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

If you stay motivated and god forbid healthy...do it.

I am training a little every day with some light cardio or crosstraining.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
                              International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                              Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Working...
                              X