Ulcerative Colitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ulcerative Colitis

So just got diagnosed with ulcerative colitis yesterday....it's moderate only involving the last 30cm....rectum and sigmoid. Been struggling with it for about 8 weeks or so, being in the medical field I feared what is was before the official diagnosis. Just trying to get the symptoms under control now and see what this means for life and bodybuilding. If I remember correctly 2bigfred who was here also had this disease. I would love input from him or any other guys who have UC. Skip, have you ever worked with anyone with UC?

the paleo deiters would have it that it is you diet causing your problem ..on the logical end your bowels are inflamed. It is caused by irritation or allergic reaction . IE the grains that you eat . Corn Wheat, rice rye , legumes and dairy
    I am willing to bet you eat all of those ?
    A girl walks up to me and says" My God you're good looking!"
    ME " I know"
    Her"WHAT!"
    Me " I know I am good looking"
    Her" You're also and asshole"
    ME " I know that too!"

Comment

I've been lactose intolerant for years...so very little dairy. The others yes....I would agree it seems foods aggravate symptoms, but I don't know about that being the cause. Seems the current theory is UC is auto immune or triggered by some sort of bacteria or other pathogen that the body is fighting. Meds seem to be helping the symptoms

Comment

Originally posted by bigoso View Post
        I've been lactose intolerant for years...so very little dairy. The others yes....I would agree it seems foods aggravate symptoms, but I don't know about that being the cause. Seems the current theory is UC is auto immune or triggered by some sort of bacteria or other pathogen that the body is fighting. Meds seem to be helping the symptoms
        Auto immune is correct ..and your dr and nutritionist would say that you are eating fine..but a book I am reading right now ...The Paleo Solution ..would have that the grains are causing the auto immune reaction ..google the book .. I am only 30% done with it, but the author has some very good points
        A girl walks up to me and says" My God you're good looking!"
        ME " I know"
        Her"WHAT!"
        Me " I know I am good looking"
        Her" You're also and asshole"
        ME " I know that too!"

Comment

My Mum has had it pretty serious but lives a decent life thank God. You'll be fine bro.

Comment

I have it bro.

Dieted for 2 shows with it and honestly...after the last one I think I'll be hanging the trunks up.

I'm going through a rough patch atm with it and just about to hit the sack. If you like, fire me some questions on here and I'll do my best to write up a more in depth response when I'm on next.

Comment

Originally posted by KingBrown View Post
              I have it bro.

Dieted for 2 shows with it and honestly...after the last one I think I'll be hanging the trunks up.

I'm going through a rough patch atm with it and just about to hit the sack. If you like, fire me some questions on here and I'll do my best to write up a more in depth response when I'm on next.
              @ deep squat I'll look into that book....what do you make if it? Do you think that's true?

@ king brown....are you having a flare now? How much if your colon is involved? I've started on the apriso and it seems to be helping. Are you on any meds? What foods do you avoid

Comment

I have Crohn's Disease, similar to UC, only my affected area is in the small intestine (ileum). While I agree diet plays a big part in staying in remission, I do best on a low residue diet (too much fiber is bad news), BUT I lived off of crackers for a while when I was in the worst stage of the disease - it was the only thing that felt OK to eat, so I’m not sure I would attribute grains to causing the disease or discomfort.

BUT, it really is dependent on what you can tolerate and it may take a while to figure out what you feel best eating. I went vegan for a while, which I think helped push me into remission. Red meat is still hard for me to eat without repercussions a few hours later and the next day. Chicken and fish are ok, but I feel my absolute best with no meat, but I can’t really bring myself back to being vegan or vegetarian. Mostly because it’s a pain in the ass to eat like that and I love chicken.

What’s really weird is I have been reading more and more articles (and heard from my last visit to a new GI doctor) that people who have a lactose intolerance are at risk for developing UC or Crohn’s. I’m lactose intolerant too :suspiciou

Hopefully you will begin feeling better soon
                2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Figure & Overall
                2013 NPC Rhode Island - 1st Figure
                2012 NPC Emerald Cup - 2nd Figure
                2010 NPC Northwest Championships - 4th Figure

Comment

Originally posted by Deepsquat3 View Post
                  Auto immune is correct ..and your dr and nutritionist would say that you are eating fine..but a book I am reading right now ...The Paleo Solution ..would have that the grains are causing the auto immune reaction ..google the book .. I am only 30% done with it, but the author has some very good points
                  IBD isn't autoimmune. It's actually funny cuz my buddy who's a GI goes absolutely nuts when people say this lol.

Sorry to hear bigoso. Hope you get it under control and don't have too many flareups!
                  5% discount from TPC use GRM223

Comment

Originally posted by Rco View Post
                    I have Crohn's Disease, similar to UC, only my affected area is in the small intestine (ileum). While I agree diet plays a big part in staying in remission, I do best on a low residue diet (too much fiber is bad news), BUT I lived off of crackers for a while when I was in the worst stage of the disease - it was the only thing that felt OK to eat, so I’m not sure I would attribute grains to causing the disease or discomfort.

BUT, it really is dependent on what you can tolerate and it may take a while to figure out what you feel best eating. I went vegan for a while, which I think helped push me into remission. Red meat is still hard for me to eat without repercussions a few hours later and the next day. Chicken and fish are ok, but I feel my absolute best with no meat, but I can’t really bring myself back to being vegan or vegetarian. Mostly because it’s a pain in the ass to eat like that and I love chicken.

What’s really weird is I have been reading more and more articles (and heard from my last visit to a new GI doctor) that people who have a lactose intolerance are at risk for developing UC or Crohn’s. I’m lactose intolerant too :suspiciou

Hopefully you will begin feeling better soon
                    Ive been very inactive on this forum for a while or any forum for that matter

But I as well have Crohn's and as a Powerlifter I have had my challenges
                    What I find works is like you mention Veggies help a ton, Red Meat is fine for me, any milk or Gulten are awful. also limiting carbs is major factor for me, I limit myself to 100 grams a day and full great and have added more lean quailty muscle sinice doing so
                    Discount code BDM999
                    By using Jerzey's code you will experience service that is unsurpassed, I take the guess work out of saving you money!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerzey View Post
                      Ive been very inactive on this forum for a while or any forum for that matter

But I as well have Crohn's and as a Powerlifter I have had my challenges
                      What I find works is like you mention Veggies help a ton, Red Meat is fine for me, any milk or Gulten are awful. also limiting carbs is major factor for me, I limit myself to 100 grams a day and full great and have added more lean quailty muscle sinice doing so
                      Just out of curiousity, what does your breakdown look like for replacing those extra carbs that you don't eat? More fat, protein, both?

Comment

Originally posted by Rco View Post
                        Just out of curiousity, what does your breakdown look like for replacing those extra carbs that you don't eat? More fat, protein, both?
                        I compete in 198 and stay around 205-208 pre-meet

My day looks like this:

1:50 grams whey 1 tablesppon oilve oil ( vits/mins/supps)
                        2:2 8oz steaks 1 table spoon coconut oil or olive oil
                        3:50 grams whey 1-2 large apples
                        Train ( bcaa's)
                        4: 12 oz fish or 10 eggs ( 6 whole) with any quality carb source (rice, furit etc..)
                        5: eggs of fish again w/ Veggies
                        6: 50 grams whey 1 table spoon olive oil

so yes I replce the differences are Fats and Protein
                        this comes after 12 years of trying many many different styles of eating
                        Discount code BDM999
                        By using Jerzey's code you will experience service that is unsurpassed, I take the guess work out of saving you money!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerzey View Post
                          I compete in 198 and stay around 205-208 pre-meet

My day looks like this:

1:50 grams whey 1 tablesppon oilve oil ( vits/mins/supps)
                          2:2 8oz steaks 1 table spoon coconut oil or olive oil
                          3:50 grams whey 1-2 large apples
                          Train ( bcaa's)
                          4: 12 oz fish or 10 eggs ( 6 whole) with any quality carb source (rice, furit etc..)
                          5: eggs of fish again w/ Veggies
                          6: 50 grams whey 1 table spoon olive oil

so yes I replce the differences are Fats and Protein
                          this comes after 12 years of trying many many different styles of eating
                          Ok, I gotcha. Thanks for posting. I wasn't sure if you might've been eating low fat/high protein, but it looks like you are consuming an adequate amount of fat too.

Comment

I have it, it's currently in remission(thank god). I had a flare up which lasted for two years 20-22. My best advice is eat a paleo diet. Have you ever used accutane? They believe now that it may cause uc, I took it for two rounds and believe that's what caused it.

Comment

I had UC for 8 years, got out of control going 40 plus times a day, not sleeping, tons of meds. Didn't find diet helped, if I flared I flared. Took 100 plus milligrams of prednisone, asacol, remicade and nothing worked. Ended up with the J-Pouch anastamosis 2 part surgery because my colon was in real bad shape, 6 years later and life is normal again. Hope everything works out for you UC sucks and so does Chrohns disease
                              For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Working...
                              X