Squat variations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squat variations

Ok guys I can squat well, I have no issues with depth or form. My problem is I can not front squat for my life. Today after deads I tried to overhead press and can not get into the hole at all, without a weight it's still impossible. I tried to do pistol squats after seeing the article in elitefts and can't get half way down. When I do any of these my weight shoots forward and I end up on my toes Fallin forward.
    Is there certain stretches I should be doing to help with these exercises? I can not squat with my back bein vertical, I bend at the hip but am far away from good morning the weight. Any tips or progressions are appreciated.

I don't do those movements you struggle with personally but you are talking about flexibility, technique and coordination which all takes time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    International Elite Raw Powerlifter
    Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

big ross,
      Stance can have a lot to do with it. I am not sure what your normal squat stance looks like or your limb lengths and these are two highly contributory factors. One main difference with a front squat is you have more readily sit down as opposed to back due to bar placement. Wearing a elevated hell shoe as opposed to Chuck Taylors can help but is not a limiting factor.
      Making sure the calves/achilles tendon, quadriceps and hip flexors will be some the areas where tightness can have an inhibiting effect on the motion.
      FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
      If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Thank you both. I have never done these exercises and have no extreme need to perform them but I think absolutely being unable to do these pointed out a really large weakness for me. What you said JC is exactly what I wa thinking and not being able to do this at all is something I really want to fix.
        It wouldn't matter if I tried these exercises damn near everyday would it? Are the warm ups on dieselcrew for opening the hips a good place to start for helpinG with these?
        Thank you both again.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
          Thank you both. I have never done these exercises and have no extreme need to perform them but I think absolutely being unable to do these pointed out a really large weakness for me. What you said JC is exactly what I wa thinking and not being able to do this at all is something I really want to fix.
          It wouldn't matter if I tried these exercises damn near everyday would it? Are the warm ups on dieselcrew for opening the hips a good place to start for helpinG with these?
          Thank you both again.
          No, there is nothing wrong doing a lift daily. Practice makes perfect. This being said, you will want to manage your volume with it. I would focus more on speed with the movement as well, this meaning try not to maintain what I would call a bodybuilding type tempo to the lift.

I have not looked into the specific routine you are referring to, but Smitty is a very knowledgeable coach. Take a look at some of the warmup routines on Catalyst Athletics as well, if you have a moment. It is really focused for the weightlifts (Snatch, Clean & Jerk) but will have very good carryover for the movements you would like to improve.
          FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
          If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Thank you very much JC.

Comment

Working...
            X