Fade's EAA Experiment - Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fade's EAA Experiment - Results

So about a month ago there was a discussion in one of the threads on an specific EAA product and how it can replace protein - So I decided to test it out and see how I would respond.

For the last 30 days I've been using EAA from TN as my only source of protein other than one meal at dinner with my wife.

Most meals looked something like this:

10g EAA
    oatmeal
    almonds.

A typical day I would have 5 EAA meals - 1 pre and post, and 3 throughout the day.

Along with 1 meal at dinner with my wife. It wasn't awesome, it wasn't super healthy - it was usually hamburger helper or some shake n bake or something. About 50g of protein and a good serving of carbs and fats.

I will admit I wasn't too terribly strict on the types of foods I was eating - but I was much better at the amounts.

There were a few times where I was in a jam and grabbed 2 granola bars with my EAA's and that was my meal.

I have everything written down - measurements, strength, weights, etc... I took a before picture and I'll have to take an after picture.. but I'll leave that for another post when I get home and get some more time.

Results:
    I can say with about 99% certainty that I saw no difference switching out ~ 40-50g protein for about 10g EAA.

Over the course of the last month my strength has increased, my weight has increased, my recovery has been spectacular, and I've put on a little bit of weight (about 5 lbs)

Like I said, I have some pictures and everything logged with my strength, weight, measurements, etc. So I will post those up in a day or so.

I probably won't stick to straight 10g EAA with every meal, because it does leave me wanting to eat some meat when I get home - but I will definitely be using these more strategically now around diets and things.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

As promised, here are some of my stats before and after.

A few notes - I have been bigger, stronger, and sexier before.. I took about 6 months and switched over to crossfit and also changed my eating habits to be pretty normal. I had been back in the regular gym on a regular diet for about 6 weeks before I started using the EAA's as part of my experiment.

My strength was pathetic, and was already increasing on it's own. I know a good portion of this is muscle memory - because otherwise I wouldn't gain back 5lbs and 1" on my arms so quickly.... Which is also one reason why I am continuing the experiment - but I don't know enough about muscle memory to note that proper protein amounts need to be present. I would assume gaining muscle back that you had previously would require just as much protein as the first time.. It would just happen at a quicker rate.

4/24 - Start of the EAA experiment
    Weight - 204lbs
    Arms - 17 1/3"
    Forearm - 13 1/2"
    Waist - 34"
    Calf - 16"
    Quad - 27"
    Chest - 43.5"

End of 30 days:
    Weight - 210 Consistently (212 Today)
    Arms - 18"
    Forearm - 14"
    Waist - 33 1/2"
    Calf - 16 1/2"
    Quad - 27 1/2"
    Chest - 44 1/2"

Strength gains have been pretty good - nothing phenomenal over the 30 days. Some 20lbs jumps on some big movements like squats and SLDL... Same with some DB Bench, etc.. Everything has gone up at least 5lbs. I can post all that up if you're interested, but it isn't anything special.. Just shows that I continued to progress while dropping protein down and replacing with EAA's.

I have to take my AFTER pic still... Don't have enough time to take on cold with no pump in the morning so that it is a fair comparison to the first set.

Like I said, I've been bigger and stronger before - so a lot of this is muscle memory... but I don't think my progress was slowed at all by using EAA and I will continue testing it out over the next month or two.
    Last edited by Jared Ragsdale; 05-25-2012, 12:07 PM.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Since DOHC was upfront about any other "supplements" he used, anything like that here, or was this done "clean"?

Thanks for posting this!

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
        Since DOHC was upfront about any other "supplements" he used, anything like that here, or was this done "clean"?

Thanks for posting this!
        100% clean

www.316fit.com

Comment

Cool thanks for the info man! Can't say I am too surprised. This can come in handy, especially for the metabolically challenged (like me) when calories need to be super low, while dieting.

Comment

Awesome stuff Fade. I look forward to seeing the pics/training logs.

Comment

Fade, so the only thing here changing was the subsitution of 10g EAAs for the protein component of 5 meals?

On the surface, it would seem counterintuitive to think you would be able to gain weight while really reducing your total caloric intake.

Did you change anything with your training?

I am just overall very curious about this experiement. Thanks for doing the leg-work and testing this out.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                Fade, so the only thing here changing was the subsitution of 10g EAAs for the protein component of 5 meals?

On the surface, it would seem counterintuitive to think you would be able to gain weight while really reducing your total caloric intake.

Did you change anything with your training?

I am just overall very curious about this experiement. Thanks for doing the leg-work and testing this out.
                Caloric totals remained the same.. I replaced the protein with EAA and then added more carbohydrates to make up for the lost protein.

Training didn't change - but there was one thing I did leave out. A lot of this is muscle memory - I have been at this weight and strength before and actually much higher. I am doing a volume approach now more than just DC type of training.. None of that changed with the experiment - I had been doing everything the same for the 6 weeks prior.
                Last edited by Jared Ragsdale; 05-21-2012, 02:36 PM.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                  Caloric totals remained the same.. I replaced the protein with EAA and then added more carbohydrates to make up for the lost protein.
                  Quite enlightening...this could save some $$$ down the road

Glad I just ordered a bunch of EAAs from TN.
                  Last edited by mentalflex; 05-21-2012, 02:56 PM.
                  Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Quite enlightening...this could save some $$$ down the road

Glad I just ordered a bunch of EAAs for TN.
                    My thoughts exactly. Plus, allowing more room for fats/carbs provides a little more flexibility, particularly when calories are low.

Comment

Glad I just ordered a bunch of EAAs for TN.
                      Can you order some FOR me?

Comment

Were you feeling hungry all day? I tried a diet where my only meals were Team Skip, Karboload and EVOO. I felt hungry all the time. I wanted to go a month but I gave in after 7 days. I felt good, just hungry.
                        2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
                          Were you feeling hungry all day? I tried a diet where my only meals were Team Skip, Karboload and EVOO. I felt hungry all the time. I wanted to go a month but I gave in after 7 days. I felt good, just hungry.
                          Every now and then I would get a little hungry - but not really. Remember I was using oatmeal and some almonds.. sometimes some bread, bagels, granola bars... All things of real substance and all things with some fiber in there.

You were doing all liquid, while I wasn't.

Like I said, I was craving some steak hardcore by the end of the day though.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                            Remember I was using oatmeal and some almonds.. sometimes some bread, bagels, granola bars... All things of real substance and all things with some fiber in there.
                            2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
                              Can you order some FOR me?
                              HAHAHA Good catch! I wish I did the purchasing for TN....

Yes, I will order some for you as well, just name your flavor.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X