Weak Calves? Check your posture.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak Calves? Check your posture.

I've was born with my fair share of genetic weaknesses. Both parents have skinny legs. So I squatted until I'd get sick. My dad had what could be only described as a sunkin' chest. So I tried dozens of techniques to help my chest. Eventually, I came across the idea of squeezing the bar together to activate the pecs while doing incline bb bench and I finally brought my chest up. Both of my parents have, or maybe I should say don't have calves. I've tried dozens of routines and techniques and many of them have improved my calves, but one simple change has helped my calves more than anything. It all started about 8 weeks before my contest. I'm big on posing and start practicing early. I even will start at 12 weeks here and there, but at 8 weeks it's on a schedule and I don't miss a session. I've always been told my posing has been a strong point.

One thing you notice when posing is how poor your every day posture is. It will make your entire body sore simply from maintaining a front relaxed pose. When I do the front relaxed, front lat spread, front double bicep, and rear relaxed I stand with my heals together, and my feet pointed out at approximately a 45 degree angle. I slightly bend my legs and push my knees out to activate my quads. I also will put my weight on the balls of my feet. After doing this recently I noticed how sore my calves would be. I wondered why they were so sore and decided to keep track of my every day posture.

After being more cognizant of how I stood I noticed how poor my posture was. More specifically, I also noticed I would not stand on flat on my feet and more often than not when standing for more than a few minutes I would roll my feet and stand on the outsides of my feet. I don't know why I developed this bad habit, but I do know that it took the pressure off my calves. After noticing this I would purposely stand on the balls of my feet and try to maintain better posture. After doing this once or twice I noticed my calves would actually get sore. This is not the only reason my calves have improved, but after 8 weeks of doing this they are the best they have ever looked.

Now I'm not saying I have the Calves of Mike Mattarazo or ever will, but if you have tried every training regimen and technique you might want to get back to the basics and just look at how you stand. Good luck.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Nice post, it's funny when you don't get sore on a heavy calf workout day but you go to the zoo and carry your kid and they're sore to the touch. My little baby calves improved with V5 fingers being worn almost exclusively, they forced me to correct the posture very similar to like you have described.

Comment

Good post, I do that stand on the side of my feet thing to, never really thought about it though..
      If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
      http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
      2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
      2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

I feel you on the walking. We just did Disney with our son. Whew! They got sore, especially since I was paying attention to how I stood in line.

As far as the shoes I've notice the same thing when I wear my wrestling shoes to workout. I bet the Vibrams would have an even greater effect. Another thing on my list.
        1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
        2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
        2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
        2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
        2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
        2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
        X