Cravings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cravings

Hey all, coming from a fatass with poor eating habits over the last 20 years (well, pretty much 42 since I am 42 lol) I am having some issues with cravings. Usually I can control them, but I am finding that in the evenings I get super hungry.

I am trying to cut off my carbs past 6 pm. Usually I can suffer through hunger pangs with water and almonds and sometimes a shake in the evening, but sometimes its crazy, and no matter what I eat I just want more.

What can I eat that's relatively filling and will keep those pesky hunger cravings away? I am doing pretty good on the pop/soda front. Going from the amount I was drinking to literally nothing has been hard, but I am feeling better about it.

What are you usually eating during the day?
    #docswholift
    PGY-1 FM
    "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Not sure if this helps, but...

When you get these cravings, try to stop and ask if yourself if you're actually hungry or if it's just compulsive behavior. I understand it's not easy - but over time, with practice, if you understand the difference between being hungry and having the compulsive urge to eat then you'll be able to adjust your behavior.

Again, not sure if this will help you - just sharing my own thought process.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
      2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
      2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
      2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
      2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
        What are you usually eating during the day?
        I try to vary my food, and usually during the week its very well structured. I have a shake after my workout in the morning at 8ish, then around 10:30 a protein with either carb or a tbsp of peanut butter (or almond butter yum!). THen lunch at 1 which is usually a protein (chicken, tuna) with either rice (little) and either salad or veggies. Snack at 3:30ish then supper at about 5:30-6. Its hard to nail down exactly since my wife has been cooking since she is off work. SHe is making me roast beef wraps tonight since I have little time after work then off to umpire 2 baseball games. But we are trying to eat more healthy foods like chicken more often.

Originally posted by moco View Post
        Not sure if this helps, but...

When you get these cravings, try to stop and ask if yourself if you're actually hungry or if it's just compulsive behavior. I understand it's not easy - but over time, with practice, if you understand the difference between being hungry and having the compulsive urge to eat then you'll be able to adjust your behavior.

Again, not sure if this will help you - just sharing my own thought process.
        Hmm, I dunno, Friday night I was hungry as all get out! Then again thats a bad example, as I didn't eat very well Friday at all (very much that is). I will work on it a bit more. Like I said I can usually control it, but even in the past I found that sometimes I would just binge, and couldnt stop.

I'm not looking for an easy answer. I know this weight loss isn't going to be easy. But something is working cause my 6 yr old daughter told me the other day that I am not as "spongey"

Comment

Are you having any cheat meals at all during the week?

Use my discount code JHR112 and get 5% off at TrueProtein.com

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS-Dante

Comment

Originally posted by SadButTrue View Post
            Are you having any cheat meals at all during the week?
            I am trying not to. We did have smokies for dinner the other day, I had 2 with a salad and last week a pizza. Is that something I should look into? I had asked before. talked about hiring someone to help out with my eating, and basically was told to watch what I eat. "Stop stuffing my mouth with shit" may have been the direct quote lol.

So that's what I have been doing, and the weight is coming off but like I said, the cravings sometimes kill me, and I try to limit what I eat when I have them, but I always find myself getting up to find something else to eat, something more filling.

I don't really have any kind of a plan, just what I have gleaned from here. I asked about different eating plans etc, and well, showed you what I was told lol.

Comment

Try this to help with cravings, ice water with lemon and drink a big glass, like 20 oz, next time you think you are hungry. Then before you reach for any food wait 20 minutes.

Another thing you can do is make your shake that you have at night in the blender with a lot of ice, so it gets real thick (maybe use less protein powder and add Greek Yogurt to make it thicker, but Team Skip actually makes a nice thick shake when mixed with a lot of ice) and then drink it slowly through a straw. Just the volume of that should help stave off cravings.

EDIT: Even a salad with some tuna or hard boiled eggs would be a reasonable option to help prevent the hunger pangs while allowing you to keep the carbs down.
              Last edited by mentalflex; 05-14-2012, 05:12 PM.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Great idea Mental! I will try that next time, well, both ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Caramon View Post
                  I am trying not to. We did have smokies for dinner the other day, I had 2 with a salad and last week a pizza. Is that something I should look into? I had asked before. talked about hiring someone to help out with my eating, and basically was told to watch what I eat. "Stop stuffing my mouth with shit" may have been the direct quote lol.

So that's what I have been doing, and the weight is coming off but like I said, the cravings sometimes kill me, and I try to limit what I eat when I have them, but I always find myself getting up to find something else to eat, something more filling.

I don't really have any kind of a plan, just what I have gleaned from here. I asked about different eating plans etc, and well, showed you what I was told lol.
                  I would consider having a cheat meal once per week. Just don't go over the one meal. It should help reduce your cravings.

I agree with what MF posted also. Those are great ideas.

Use my discount code JHR112 and get 5% off at TrueProtein.com

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS-Dante

Comment

The two things that worked for me:

1.) Using a food scale
                    2.) Logging my food/exercise

You could very well just not be eating enough. I distinctively remember complaining at one point in time about how much food I had to eat.
                    #docswholift
                    PGY-1 FM
                    "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Refeed! Load up on carbs for a few hours a week, it works wonders.
                      You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

For myself, strategies I have found to work are (in no particular order):

1. Clearly define a set of goals, along with reasonable deadlines. When you find yourself tempted, remind yourself of how your decisions will influence your progress. If you are trying to lose weight, imagine how your physique will look if you give in, and how it will look when you stick to it.

2. Count calories. This will not only keep you aware of exactly what you are consuming and act as a deterrent to cheat. In addition, this may allow you to get away with less "clean" foods, provided its fits your macronutrient requirements for the day. See this link for a discussion: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=46935

2. Weigh yourself daily. Knowing that there will be quantitative negative consequences to indulging that will reflect in a quantitative manner will make it easier to refuse food when the cravings come.

3. Allow scheduled refeeds. I strongly recommend checking out Skip's DVD regarding skip loading. See chapters 11-13 http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=43449

4. Try different diets, until you find one that works for you and your lifestyle. For example, I have been doing intermittent fasting, and don't eat my first meal of the day until 5pm. Although this might sound crazy, this makes it a lot easier for me not to feel hungry throughout the day. I don't even think about food for most of the day, and then when it comes to actually eat, I am stuffed the rest of the evening. Not only that, it allows me to get away with foods that are a bit higher calorie (again, see the link under point 2). If you are super hungry in the evenings, this may work for you. Check out these threads:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=46700
                        http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=45502
                        http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=40535

Comment

^^ most ironic user name ever
                          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                          kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                            ^^ most ironic user name ever
                            Because I don't compete and lift only as a hobby, I don't post much. When I was thinking of a username I had no clue what to put, but thought this name would at least be appropriate. Anyway, in this case, I feel like I could contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Observing View Post
                              Because I don't compete and lift only as a hobby, I don't post much. When I was thinking of a username I had no clue what to put, but thought this name would at least be appropriate. Anyway, in this case, I feel like I could contribute.
                              I'm going to change your username to "Cruisin' for a Bruisin'"
                              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                              kind of a douche

Comment

Working...
                              X