Promoting a Bodybuilding Show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoting a Bodybuilding Show?

Anyone here promote/host a bodybuilding show?

I am looking to promote my own in the fall of 2013. Not looking to make money, just something I have always wanted to do (don't want to lose money either). I would like to promote w/in the natural org's, since that is what I compete in. Most likely NGA.

How much costs did sponsors help cover? I have many other questions, but I'll wait to see if anyone has successfully promoted a show, before I waste anyone's time.

Thanks.
    -Breck
    2005 HOA Natural Classic
    2006 OCB Midwest
    2007 ABA Natural Illinois
    2008 HOA Natural Classic
    NPC Mid-Illinois
    NPC Midwest Open
    NPC Natural Grand Prix
    2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
    USPA Illinois State
    NGA Heart of America
    NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

I have considered getting into this game, as well. However, I wouldn't do it here in Colorado because Jeff Taylor and Mike Alexander already are throwing top notch and well established shows. I would want to go where that isn't happening and build something quality that way.

The expenses aren't as bad as you might think. You are paying for the venue and paying for the guest poser/attraction, hotel accommodations, fllight, etc.. That is pretty much it.

Registration fees, sponsor fees and ticket sales are your money makers. With the smaller shows (or you just starting out) your sponsor fees are not going to generate a lot of money because your show isn't established, yet. It's kind of funny how it works because starting out is a bitch to cover yourself and break even but when you do, and when you can build on this show year after year, it is like rolling a snowball downhill - it just gains momementum and makes more and more money.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Thanks Skip. I know some shows I have been to or competed in, the sponsor "brings in the guest poser." Not sure what "brings in" entails. Butfor example, Optimum Nutrition is based in Illinois. I am in central IL. Lets say they agree to be a sponsor, and they "bring in" the guest poser. You think they pay for one of the optimum nutrition athletes expenses?

I think it would be fun and exciting to run a show after attending/competing in good/bad shows.
      2005 HOA Natural Classic
      2006 OCB Midwest
      2008 HOA Natural Classic
      NPC Mid-Illinois
      NPC Midwest Open
      NPC Natural Grand Prix
      USPA Illinois State
      NGA Heart of America
      NGA Clash of the Titans

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
        I have considered getting into this game, as well. However, I wouldn't do it here in Colorado because Jeff Taylor and Mike Alexander already are throwing top notch and well established shows. I would want to go where that isn't happening and build something quality that way.

The expenses aren't as bad as you might think. You are paying for the venue and paying for the guest poser/attraction, hotel accommodations, fllight, etc.. That is pretty much it.

Registration fees, sponsor fees and ticket sales are your money makers. With the smaller shows (or you just starting out) your sponsor fees are not going to generate a lot of money because your show isn't established, yet. It's kind of funny how it works because starting out is a bitch to cover yourself and break even but when you do, and when you can build on this show year after year, it is like rolling a snowball downhill - it just gains momementum and makes more and more money.

Skip

Come out here, host a show.. and I'll help you with everything you need from our stores.
        Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
        FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
        www.316fit.com
        Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
          Come out here, host a show.. and I'll help you with everything you need from our stores.
          You come to Illinois Fade! ha...we could use a good supp store here too.
          2005 HOA Natural Classic
          2006 OCB Midwest
          2008 HOA Natural Classic
          NPC Mid-Illinois
          NPC Midwest Open
          NPC Natural Grand Prix
          USPA Illinois State
          NGA Heart of America
          NGA Clash of the Titans

Comment

Skip nailed it. I have a couple friends that are promoters and that is exactly how it works out. If you break even the first year then you are doing good, and if you keep putting in the work each year you should be able to add on to what you bring in.

One of the situations I remember was a promoter that re started a show that had been discontinued for a couple years. This may be risky if the prior promoter gave the show a bad rep, but with the restart I'm speaking of, it broke even the first year of the restart. The important thing is that this promoter didn't rest after this he continued to work hard to promote the show the next year and to improve it. By doing that he also improved his income.
            1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
            2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
            2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
            2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
            2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
            2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
              Skip nailed it. I have a couple friends that are promoters and that is exactly how it works out. If you break even the first year then you are doing good, and if you keep putting in the work each year you should be able to add on to what you bring in.

One of the situations I remember was a promoter that re started a show that had been discontinued for a couple years. This may be risky if the prior promoter gave the show a bad rep, but with the restart I'm speaking of, it broke even the first year of the restart. The important thing is that this promoter didn't rest after this he continued to work hard to promote the show the next year and to improve it. By doing that he also improved his income.
              Thanks man. I want to do NGA and be able to award a natural pro card. The show would be in the fall, that way the new pro could compete in the pro division of the NGA show we have here in the spring. The spring show (was yesterday actually) has been around for 16 years and is ran really well. I'm friends with the promoter, so I'll be asking him for some advice.
              2005 HOA Natural Classic
              2006 OCB Midwest
              2008 HOA Natural Classic
              NPC Mid-Illinois
              NPC Midwest Open
              NPC Natural Grand Prix
              USPA Illinois State
              NGA Heart of America
              NGA Clash of the Titans

Comment

This sounds like it would be pretty cool.....good idea Breck...giving back to the sport you love, good deal....
                STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by breck View Post
                  Thanks Skip. I know some shows I have been to or competed in, the sponsor "brings in the guest poser." Not sure what "brings in" entails. Butfor example, Optimum Nutrition is based in Illinois. I am in central IL. Lets say they agree to be a sponsor, and they "bring in" the guest poser. You think they pay for one of the optimum nutrition athletes expenses?

I think it would be fun and exciting to run a show after attending/competing in good/bad shows.
                  I think what you mean is the sponsor will only sponsor the show if you use one of their athletes but you still have to pay them. What I mean is if Optimum sponsors your show then they aren't going to let you bring in Phil Heath. Now, this is my best guess because I don't have experience with this but it seems logical. My experience is when the promoter deals with the guest poser, directly, negotiating a fee. I have mediated this a few times, personally for promoters because of having a relationship with the guest poser.

Yeah, that sounded bad. lol

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

If your area needs a show, let's talk. I should have tried to get into the Nebraska market because there was nothing until this year. I just have a few other things on my plate. lol

Skip
                    Originally posted by fade View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                      I think what you mean is the sponsor will only sponsor the show if you use one of their athletes but you still have to pay them. What I mean is if Optimum sponsors your show then they aren't going to let you bring in Phil Heath. Now, this is my best guess because I don't have experience with this but it seems logical. My experience is when the promoter deals with the guest poser, directly, negotiating a fee. I have mediated this a few times, personally for promoters because of having a relationship with the guest poser.

Yeah, that sounded bad. lol

Skip
                      Gotcha.. I wasn't sure if a sponsor pays for the guest poser. For example, I competed at mid-illinois last year and Dennis Wolf was "brought in by Optimum Nutrition." I wasn't sure if Optimum's sponsor donation was covering the fees for bringing Dennis in or what. Now, I don't think I will have someone of that calliber, mainly due to costs, etc.

I know I am putting the cart before the horse kinda, but just trying to get this planned out.

Actually the chairman of the NGA just called me. Sounds like this is getting going pretty quick. Show is going to be in the fall of 2013. Excited to say the least.
                      2005 HOA Natural Classic
                      2006 OCB Midwest
                      2008 HOA Natural Classic
                      NPC Mid-Illinois
                      NPC Midwest Open
                      NPC Natural Grand Prix
                      USPA Illinois State
                      NGA Heart of America
                      NGA Clash of the Titans

Comment

Many venues may also require you to have an insurance policy for the event.
                        -KidRok-
                        "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                        5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Working...
                        X