5/3/1, Make changes or not....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/3/1, Make changes or not....

Ok, so iv been doing the 5/3/1 rest pause that was outlined in the 2nd edition ebook. iv really been enjoying it, week on week i am constantly beating previous rep records.
    I feel as though there isnt enough volume though on certain body parts eg Legs and shoulders. for legs and shoulders all i am doing is squats and OHP. nothing else. my legs are basically bean poles.

I am wondering whether i should go back to a split, something along the lines of on Squat day, make it a leg session, so add some leg press, hamstring curls and calf work.
    OHP day, add lat raises and rear delt work.
    Deadlift day have chins and a row.
    Bench day - incline press, dips and a fly exercise.

or something a long those lines. I just want more volume, although im getting stronger i feel that im not getting bigger and to be honest thats more the type of gains im looking for.

just wondering what direction you guys think i should head in?

Are you eating enough? I mean REALLY eating enough?

Comment

i have'nt been no but im starting to eat more now. so i might go for another 2 cycles, with my increased calories and see what happens.

Comment

Look into the other templates including the Triumvirate, Boring But Big and the Periodization Bible split from the book or look around the net a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by zporcher21 View Post
          Look into the other templates including the Triumvirate, Boring But Big and the Periodization Bible split from the book or look around the net a bit.
          Do this, if you want to get bigger. I just don't think rest pause works very well with 5/3/1. Also eat more and drink GOMAD

Comment

What are your stats, how much do you squat/dead lift?

If you are getting stronger why fuck with it ? Eat more.....
            lhart6272
            Heavyweight Member
            Last edited by lhart6272; 05-10-2012, 02:58 PM.
            Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
            -John Ceasar

Comment

Originally posted by lhart6272 View Post
              What are your stats, how much do you squat/dead lift?

If you are getting stronger why fuck with it ? Eat more.....
              This. GOMAD is not necessarily going to put on quality weight for everyone. Why not just eat meat, peanut butter and a quality protein instead?

What accessories are you doing with 5/3/1? Are you running BBB in conjunction with your 5/3/1 RP?
              mark!
              Light-heavyweight Member
              Last edited by mark!; 05-10-2012, 03:14 PM.
              …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Check this link out:

http://www.blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

There are several programs with varying volume. You may be interested in "bodybuilder", but I know for myself, that would be WAY too much.

And as other people have said, eat more

Comment

Stats aren't great.
                  Body weight 208lbs. Height 6'5".
                  Estimated 1rep max':
                  Squat - 125kg - always struggled with these.
                  Deadlift - 150kg
                  Bench - 128kg
                  OHP - 75kg

Been trying to get my body fat down so iv been on a deficit but my lifts have all gone up.

Comment

Periodisation bible looks good. I'd take the abs out of deadlift and squat day though as I do abs on my cardio days. So I'd probably add calf work in.

Comment

Sorry but there's no reason for you to change. For your height, you nee about 40 or 50 lbs on your frame. Those numbers are pretty low, they'll go up if you stay consistent and eat. I would just run the 5-3-1 with bb'ing accessory or do accessory work but only one or two sets for the exercises.

Comment

Stay on 5/3/1, there's no reason to switch. Consistency is the key to gains and progress. There isn't a great holier than thou routine out there for anyone. Pick a routine, don't listen to the "bros" or MD magazine, and just run your routine, whatever it is. If you want to add, add slightly, throw in some accessory work after compound lifts. Hell on 5/3/1 you can add an entire accessory day for weak points.

You said you want more leg growth and accessory movements for that. On Squat day, add a few sets of accessory work, on DL day add abs or back accessory work, just keep it simple and don't overcomplicate things to the point of you getting confused or spending so much time in the gym.
                        …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

my rest pause sessions only lasted about half an hour to 40mins.

i liked the bodybuilder template but i agree there is too much in there. im only 25 so im pretty good in terms of recovery.

so i was thinking something a long the lines of.....

press 531
                          db military press 4x12
                          face pulls 4x12
                          lat raise 4x12

deadlift 531
                          chins 4x10
                          db row 4x12
                          curl 4x10

bench 531
                          incline smith bench 4x12 (would prefer db but db's at my gym only go up to 35kg)
                          dips 4x10
                          fly 4x12
                          tricep pushdown 4x10

Squat 531
                          leg curl 5x10
                          leg press 5x10
                          leg press calf press* - 5x10

abs are hit on cardio days.

*- not sure if this is the correct name.
                          height_11
                          Lightweight Member
                          Last edited by height_11; 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by height_11 View Post
                            my rest pause sessions only lasted about half an hour to 40mins.

i liked the bodybuilder template but i agree there is too much in there. im only 25 so im pretty good in terms of recovery.

so i was thinking something a long the lines of.....

press 531
                            db military press 4x12
                            face pulls 4x12
                            lat raise 4x12

deadlift 531
                            chins 4x10
                            db row 4x12
                            curl 4x10

bench 531
                            incline smith bench 4x12 (would prefer db but db's at my gym only go up to 35kg)
                            dips 4x10
                            fly 4x12
                            tricep pushdown 4x10

Squat 531
                            leg curl 5x10
                            leg press 5x10
                            leg press calf press* - 5x10

abs are hit on cardio days.

*- not sure if this is the correct name.
                            Looks good. I would get rid of the flys, but that is just my preference.

Comment

Working...
                            X