American Pure Whey is American Pure Shit - from reddit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Pure Whey is American Pure Shit - from reddit

Just came across an interesting little post over at reddit.

I'm not a scientist, so no clue how accurate it is, but some guys might find it interesting that someone actually went and tested this and posted the results.

Here's the story link if you want to read it formatted correctly with pictures and links - http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comm...can_pure_shit/

Hail Redditors, I come to you with news from [1] another forum. A guy named Zugzwang (cool as fuck) decided to bust science on American Pure Whey powder, after many suspicious bros wondered why it was A) so cheap and B) tasted so good. The results were interesting and as follows:
    Brothers, I have just returned from my laboratory dungeon and do not have good news regarding American Pure Whey. I need to formally work up the numbers, but a qualitative eyeballing of the results tells me that either I royally fucked up these two assays (not likely, considering I did 8 independent ones for four separate APW flavors) or there is far less protein in their powder than they claim.
    Here, see for yourselves. I've crudely labeled the wells on this plate for you. One of my assays basically makes the wells in this plate turn a dark color if there's protein in it, and the darker the well, the more protein there is. I tested blanks (buffer only, no protein), analytical-grade bovine serum albumin at 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 mg/mL, ON double rich chocolate (chosen because it's a whey product from a reputable company) at 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, and 3.0 mg/mL, and four separate APW flavors (cinnamon bun, strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla) at 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 mg/mL. Now, those APW concentrations assumed that the values on the label (26 grams protein/33 grams powder) were reliable.
    tl;dr - darker = more protein, APW wells should be roughly as dark as ON wells, they aren't
    [2] HARK, A PICTURE OF LITERAL BRO SCIENCE
    Note: the first three wells in the "Blanks/APW" row - under the BSA wells - are blanks, then the next three - under the ON wells - are from another APW sample.
    And yes, I can quantify the amount of protein in the APW samples from absorbance measurements I took from the plate. I think. Shit might be too dilute and out of range of the standard curve I'm making. We'll see.
    The other assay type I ran is a standard method for protein determination: measure how much 280-nm UV light it absorbs. I tested blanks and each protein powder at 1 mg/mL, and though you can't tell just by eyeballing it here (they all look clear), I can tell you that the absorbance of the ON wells was 5-10+ times any of the APW wells, and all were at the same nominal concentration. I'm working within the dynamic range of the instrument, so absorbance correlates linearly to the amount of protein, meaning that 5x the absorbance means 5x as much protein.
    I'm going to repeat the A280 assay tomorrow because it's quick, easy, and it works, but fuuuuuck. The only other explanation besides "piece of shit product" is that the bits of APW powder I grabbed were the non-protein bits, which could mean that their powder is horribly mixed - either that, or I'm a goddamned wizard of entropy, because what are the odds of me grabbing 50 milligrams of filler from four separate samples?
    Also hi, if there are any other labcoats reading this and you have 10 minutes to run a quick-n-dirty A280 test on some APW powder to corroborate or contest my results, that would be super, thanks.
    tl;dr: Your cheap powder is shady as fuck and you should feel bad.
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!

A crappy no-name company has a protein that is cheaper than the biggest manufacturers on the planet - with a better taste?

AND IT TESTED WITH LESS PROTEIN? NO WAY!!!!!

/sarcasm

If the big companies can't do it, neither can the small fly-by-night companies.
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

Comment

Well it's a good thing that most (if not all)of us order from True Nutrition then
      2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Figure & Overall
      2013 NPC Rhode Island - 1st Figure
      2012 NPC Emerald Cup - 2nd Figure
      2010 NPC Northwest Championships - 4th Figure

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
        A crappy no-name company has a protein that is cheaper than the biggest manufacturers on the planet - with a better taste?

AND IT TESTED WITH LESS PROTEIN? NO WAY!!!!!

/sarcasm

If the big companies can't do it, neither can the small fly-by-night companies.
        I agree with your sarcasm, and the results weren't surprising to me, but what I'm really interested in is any legal action that could result from this.

I'm not up to speed on what supplement companies can and can't say on their labels. If they say a certain amount of protein should be in each serving, but in reality they aren't even close to the amount, what are the potential legal ramifications? Any?
        GO HARD OR GO HOME!!

Comment

I don't even look at protein supps anymore cause all I do is order from TP!

Comment

Originally posted by RockDiesel View Post
            I agree with your sarcasm, and the results weren't surprising to me, but what I'm really interested in is any legal action that could result from this.

I'm not up to speed on what supplement companies can and can't say on their labels. If they say a certain amount of protein should be in each serving, but in reality they aren't even close to the amount, what are the potential legal ramifications? Any?
            You can sue for fraud or false representation or false advertising (I forget the exact term) if you bought it. The best you're gonna do is get your money back.

Doesn't matter that the FDA doesn't evaluate these things, you can't just lie about what is in a product (presumably) in an intent to lower your costs and increase sales.

In reality, you won't likely get anything as I assume if this became a shitstorm, they will go out of business or disappear to another country making it more expensive to get your money than its worth.

EDIT: look at the reddit link: good chance that this is not truthful and is misleading.
            Last edited by JohnnyBravo; 05-08-2012, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I just learned about this brand and was going to buy some because its so much cheaper than true nutrition :/ IM IN COLLEGE I NEED CHEAP PROTEIN DAMNITTTTTTTTTTTT. I question the validity of this as well.
              Fade does have a point though, how can they sell this shit cheaper then the big dogs?
              Last edited by liftweights; 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM.
              :preach:

Comment

If its cheaper than trueprotein... I would not trust it. peace of mind is worth a few extra bucks.

By the way you'll probably be interested in my EAA experiment. Should end up being cheaper for you as a college student. I will post results in a few weeks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

www.316fit.com

Comment

I've been avoiding EAAs because of the cost, but I'm definitely interested if it works out and is affordable.
                  -All my money right now is going into whole foods, WPI, and creatine monohydrate pills
                  :preach:

Comment

Originally posted by liftweights View Post
                    I've been avoiding EAAs because of the cost, but I'm definitely interested if it works out and is affordable.
                    -All my money right now is going into whole foods, WPI, and creatine monohydrate pills
                    It doesn't get any more affordable, and higher quality than TP. Look at the folks here that use it, it's affordable, and clearly is high quality stuff.

ETA: Just looked at their website, freaking 5lbs for $30? Why would anyone buy in to that crap.
                    Last edited by mark!; 05-08-2012, 04:27 PM.
                    …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by mark! View Post
                      It doesn't get any more affordable, and higher quality than TP. Look at the folks here that use it, it's affordable, and clearly is high quality stuff.

ETA: Just looked at their website, freaking 5lbs for $30? Why would anyone buy in to that crap.
                      TN's Whey$saver is $28.49 for 5 pounds without a discount code. TN FTW!

TN's new motto - Break PRs, not the bank
                      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

For what it is worth, I find Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex to be ridiculously great in taste and the way it mixes. Seems it can't wait to dissolve in fluid. It uses Augmented Protein. I haven't researched this but how does this compare to the American whey?

I get this Pro Complex because my wife drinks some of it and she is lactose intolerant. She loves the stuff!

Comment

I personally think pro complex is probably one of the worst tasting proteins I have ever used. The after taste is rather horrible..

Are you mixing it in milk? You said she is lactose intolerant so maybe she usesit something other than water? If not I am baffled.

www.316fit.com

Comment

If its cheaper than trueprotein... I would not trust it. peace of mind is worth a few extra bucks.

By the way you'll probably be interested in my EAA experiment. Should end up being cheaper for you as a college student. I will post results in a few weeks.

Fade-what did you end up doing 20g EAA for 3 meals, and the rest whole food? the details and the thread name escape me now

Comment

I personally think pro complex is probably one of the worst tasting proteins I have ever used. The after taste is rather horrible..

Are you mixing it in milk? You said she is lactose intolerant so maybe she usesit something other than water? If not I am baffled.

She puts it in soymilk. I put it in water of skim milk.

Ironic that you think it is the worst tasting proteins you have used. Champion nutrition gave it a run for its money to my tastes. I have use TN before as well. It was ok but nothing that blew me away.

Comment

Working...
                              X