Intra workout carbs and post workout cardio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intra workout carbs and post workout cardio

Sorry for such a simple question but I have searched and have not found a direct answer to this question. I know there are a million and one factors, I am just asking this generally speaking.

If one was to use a intra workout drink ( MG powdered muscle as a example ) but has limited time to hit the gym and must do weights fallowed by cardio how would the carbs intra workout effect or would it effect one trying to cut down ( average guy who enjoys lifting, slow cut about a pound per week nothing to serious ). From my understanding carbs intra workout help kick start the recovery process, help transport supplements during the workout ( correct me if I am wrong ) and such a small amount should in reality have very little impact ( granted daily macros are in check ) on fat loss ( maybe saving the last 1/3 of the shake till I am done with cardio )?

Sorry if its a cluster fuck I am terrible at trying to explain things, and its been a very long work week already.

There is s good book specifically on this . If I am not mistaking its called nutrient
    Timing : the future of sports nutrition. I recommend it.
    Last edited by LG1; 05-03-2012, 07:15 AM.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

if it were ME, and fat loss was my primary goal, I'd ditch the carbs intra-workout and stick with a EAA or BCAA mix, then eat a meal PWO (and post-cardio) that had carbs in it
      CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
      MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
      2010 NGA Pro Universe
      2010 NPC Monster Mash
      2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
      2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
      2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
      2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
      2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
      2008 NPC Ohio State
      2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
        There is s good book specifically on this . If I am not mistaking its called nutrient
        Timing : the future of sports nutrition. I recommend it.
        I will look into this thanks for the recommendation.

Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
        if it were ME, and fat loss was my primary goal, I'd ditch the carbs intra-workout and stick with a EAA or BCAA mix, then eat a meal PWO (and post-cardio) that had carbs in it
        Currently I just have BCAA intra workout ( pro/fat pre and pro/carb post ) but I was wondering as I just assumed your body would burn threw the intra workout carbs before bodyfat which would be not what one would want while cutting.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

View, I also think Homon discussed this same exact subject either on IM or via one of his articles for Musclemag. Can't do a search fo you at this time though...
          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
            View, I also think Homon discussed this same exact subject either on IM or via one of his articles for Musclemag. Can't do a search fo you at this time though...
            http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=44793

Comment

I did read the article ( also subscribed to the thread) I need to go re-read it but I don't believe the question I asked was covered, maybe it was and I just don't remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                I would do this too.
                Use the following discount code: BDB830 and save 5 to 10% on your order at www.trueprotein.com

Comment

I use both of these methods. I am also dieting (down 20lbs and 20 more to go). On days that I am doing cardio with my workout I use BCAA's and glutamine in watered down crystal light during my workout. On days when I am working out without cardio I use MG's powdered muscle during my workout. On the days I use the BCAA's and glutamine I have a post workout shake when I get home and on the days I use MG's PM I have a solid food meal when I get home.

Comment

it's not addressed. If you're doing it for fat loss you should not take it with carbs, the cardio is meant to be done when glycogen levels are depleted such as post workout or in the morning on an empty stomach. If you consume the carbs you'll have to burn through them first to get to the fat.

Comment

Originally posted by View 1 View Post
                      Sorry for such a simple question but I have searched and have not found a direct answer to this question. I know there are a million and one factors, I am just asking this generally speaking.

If one was to use a intra workout drink ( MG powdered muscle as a example ) but has limited time to hit the gym and must do weights fallowed by cardio how would the carbs intra workout effect or would it effect one trying to cut down ( average guy who enjoys lifting, slow cut about a pound per week nothing to serious ). From my understanding carbs intra workout help kick start the recovery process, help transport supplements during the workout ( correct me if I am wrong ) and such a small amount should in reality have very little impact ( granted daily macros are in check ) on fat loss ( maybe saving the last 1/3 of the shake till I am done with cardio )?

Sorry if its a cluster fuck I am terrible at trying to explain things, and its been a very long work week already.
                      Well, I tried to address the factors that might help one make a call about this in that article, but it's hard to cover everything.

So, some thoughts.

It's the amino acids (especially EAA's) / protein that will have the truly substantial positive effect on protein turnover that you're looking for with an intra-workout supplement.

The carbs can be there as well for a couple reasons (and theoretically others but the research is a bit iffy):

-You feel better and can train harder when taking in a carb-containing drink, esp. if you've been on a low carb diet. Some guys find this isn't the case, others do and some get sleep / groggy from those carbs.

-If your carbs are VERY low and you're training with a very high volume (lots of sets and reps), then the carbs will help with replenishment of glycogen between sets and keep glycogen levels full(er) and perhaps prevent you from kind of "bonking" during you workout. This would be noticeable if, for instance, you'd do a set and the weight will feel like you've got, say, 12 reps in you and when you get to rep 8-9, the weight just kind of stops moving. Also, your pump is less and you feel less of a lactic acid burn.

This is NOT a problem for most guys if you're adequately replenishing carbs elsewhere in the diet, but taking them in during training is one way to do that. This an be a smart way to do so b/c: 1.) muscle damage from exercise can tend to reduce the muscle's ability to take up carbs, so getting them in early before the insult of training and inflammation has started makes sense and 2.) The contractions of the workout will keep the muscle in a highly receptive state for glycogen replenishment.

----

As far as whether this will slow fat loss, it will depend (as you said) on the rest of your diet, cardio, etc. much more so than whether you have you carbs during you workout, IMO. Some guys (many) find that fasted cardio (or with just EAAs or BCAAs) seems to work best for fat loss whereas others do not. If you're basing a diet on keeping insulin levels low except for periodic (only 1-2 x / week - Carb-up meals / days), then avoiding the carbs during the workout might fit with your strategy. If you're eating a higher carb diet then intra or post-wo carbs would probably be fine.

The main things are, IMO, really:

-Get the rest of the diet, training and cardio on point.

-Figure out what the need for carbs during the workout would be (bonking/ glycogen repleshment, psychological, blood glucose-wise, etc.)

-Experiment to see if fasted cardio is the way to go for you. Time of day will matter here, too - if you had carbs at 3PM and are training at 5PM, the carbs in a couple scoops of MG's powdered muscle aren't going to matter much b/c of the lingering effects of insulin on fuel use. If you're training fasted in the AM, then those carbs will have a more dramatic effect (SEE BELOW) on insulin, etc.) vs. not having them.

-You're right - those carbs in MG's PM are probably a drop in the bucket. The answer (carbs vs. no carbs) might be different if you were comparing taking in >100g during the workout, for instance.

-Scott
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Thank you the reply Scott that was WAY more than I expected and you brought quite a few things I did not even think about. It will still be some time before I add in MG's PM but its like you said I will have to experiment on what does and does not work for me threw trial and error that is the only real way of knowing how effective something will be. Even more so is will it truly benefit me and my goals by doing it.

Again thank you I appreciate the response.

Comment

Originally posted by View 1 View Post
                          Thank you the reply Scott that was WAY more than I expected and you brought quite a few things I did not even think about. It will still be some time before I add in MG's PM but its like you said I will have to experiment on what does and does not work for me threw trial and error that is the only real way of knowing how effective something will be. Even more so is will it truly benefit me and my goals by doing it.

Again thank you I appreciate the response.
                          Sure, man! No problemo. (I think most of that was in that article, but maybe not...)

GOOD LUCK!

-S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I am definitely going to re-read it this weekend as it has been some time since I did.

Comment

I would and do use BCAAs and Augment as my staples intra-workout. I have had no issues 'burning' fat whilst doing this. As mentioned before, it would be wisest to save your carbs for your post workout nutrition.
                              Interesting that Homon has mentioned the significance of EAA's intra workout. I must include these from now on!
                              TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
                              2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Comment

Working...
                              X