When to hang it up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to hang it up?

How often have I pondered this? Lately more than ever. If it's not one thing its another.

Competitors: when do you decide to stop doing what you are doing?
    International Elite Raw Powerlifter
    Blood - Sweat - Chalk

3 shoulder surgeries over 2 years was my sign. I still train hard but higher rep stuff now and if i feel I need an extra day or 2 between workouts I don't beat myself up over it.
    -KidRok-
    "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
    5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

I am really struggling with it. Lifting heavy is something I havent even peaked at yet.

So frustrating. Some of it I guess I just need to rest and help out others more if that is the case. So, so hard though.
      Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

I wont even begin to pretend I know what guys like you are going through, but it is worth noting that Dave Tate largely began "body building" style training because he wanted a way to train his ass off without having the "knowledge" of his old lifting days discouraging him along the way.

Meaning he dropped doing squats, benches, dead lifts because he knew what he was capable of doing on those lifts so well that doing 225x8 just wasnt going to cut it IN HIS MIND.

So he found a way to take it to the limit, but to a different limit.

Perhaps this is something you can do as well Shawn. Find other styles of lifting that are still challenging and require 100% of your effort, but do not make you crazy doing them because you know where you should be on them. Things like focusing on explosive power, oly lifts, etc...

Comment

I have not competed so I van only talk about how I train. I will stop training heavy when I don't enjoy it or physically just can't. When I had back surgery I was told by multiple sources that I would never train heavy again...my doctors restrictions STILL say I can't lift or carry over 25lbs...lol... I am not as strong as I was when I was young and supplemented BUT I'm not that far either. I am old and beat up...no doubt...but if I am gonna do this, Ill do it how I love to do it. When I can't or don't enjoy it, I'll find another hobby.

I wish you the best man. I am sure part of how you are feeling is just pure frustration and anger over being hurt again ... I'd just relax and take some time off. If you CAN stay away, do so....if you CAN'T, you will answer your own question.
          Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
          Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
          Nicki Minaj

Comment

I feel like giving up for about a month or so before a competition. Then afterwards I like, "Man I can't wait for the next one!" Closing in on 40 my goal has always been to improve to the point that when I hit masters that I could do some damage, but there are so many other factors to consider. I want to reach my goals, but what am I damaging in the process? With bodybuilding it is a little different than powerlifting. It's harder to be social and if your not very careful it can be hard on the family.

I'm not sure how training for Powerlifting effects personal relationships. I've actually thought about switching because it would seem easier in this regard, but at my age I don't think I'd be competitive. Also, it may not be the best thing for my body at this stage of the game. As for bodybuilding I think I'm giving it at least one more show, but I'm going to try to stay closer to stage weight so that getting into shape isn't so hard. If that works I'll do more.

If I was a powerlifter and my only job was training others I might consider going into bodybuilding or at least just training as a bodybuilder. My only thing is that the competition drives me, so it would be hard to switch to another endeavor without having a contest or some kind of competition in mind. So shifting your goals might be the first step.

So with that said, and knowing you a little bit Shawn, I'd say do what is best for your health, but you are going to have to have some outlet for your competitive spirit. I know I do. If not, I'd go back to being a tub o' lard again and very unhappy.
            1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
            2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
            2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
            2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
            2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
            2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Now. Before you destroy yourself and your functionality.
              Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

Comment

Unfortunately in my sport they told me they didn't want me anymore otherwise I'd still be playing, but in hindsight my body is thanking me. I think you have to find a new way to push yourself and be competitive. There's no rule that in order to have fun in the gym you need to put 700lb on your back and squat it. I tore my pec little over a year ago, didn't get it fixed, let it heal on it's on, and now I can't bench more than 275 for 8-10 reps, doesn't mean I'm still not enjoying my training, just means my ego, on chest day is non-existent.

Comment

You're right, it's not easy, especially when it's something we've done for decades. But as we get older the body will rebel and guess what? In the end your body is going to win and dictate what you can and can't do. Yes we still have the mental drive and focus to do more, but shit will eventually tear, pop and snap. I had been planning on Masters Nationals just before my 1st shoulder injury and surgery. After the 2nd surgery and a year of recovery I started thinking maybe I can still do it. Then after the 3rd I knew I was done, at least with the competition part. Be smart about it, adjust your training to stay healthy so that you can continue to train another 10-20 years or more..
                  -KidRok-
                  "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                  5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Originally posted by KidRok View Post
                    . Be smart about it, adjust your training to stay healthy so that you can continue to train another 10-20 years or more..
                    As a fellow old (er) fart..lol. though I have never never done a competition, that statement sums it up perfectly...train smarter, not harder.
                    Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Sigh.
                      Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

do you love competing enough to know that you might not be able to duplicate everything you could at a younger age (but want to compete anyways)?

do you understand that as you age it is more and more about you vs you?

are there things you can still accomplish competition-wise?
                        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                        17 AAU Super Total
                        '16-AAU Hi
                        '15-USPA Metro
                        '15-USPA State
                        '15-AAU HI
                        '14-AAU HI
                        '14-USPA Metro
                        '14-WABDL Sonny's
                        '14-USPA State
                        '14-HI Strongman
                        '13-USPA
                        '13-WABDL Sonny's
                        '13-USPA State
                        '13-AAU HI
                        '11-USPA Metro
                        '10-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-NPC Islands
                        '09-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA IronWorks
                        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                        '01-ABA Olympia
                        '01-ABA Islands
                        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                        '00-INBF Musclefest
                        '98-NGA Ill
                        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I thought future was early 30's??

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                          Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Almost 40.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
                            Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Well ya look good for your age ;-)

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Working...
                              X