putting together a home gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting together a home gym

Close on house Oct 5th and I get the garage for a gym... 24X14 so its a large 1 car garage. It will ONLY be a gym! No storage, no lawn mower, no NOTHING buyback gym!

What I will be putting in it
    Power rack - prob an elitefitness rack but open to recomendations. Must be rated at over a 1000lbs.

Plate loaded pulldown - again I am open to any brand recommendations. Would like one with a seated row but it must be commercial quality.

Leg press- leaning towards a vertical leg press. I can't remember the brand name but I have it saved. Its rated at either 800 or a grand.

Smith machine- want a 7* machine that's commercial grade.

A functional trainer cable machine- I'd love a Freemotion but that ain't happening so I think its powertech that makes a plate loaded version.

I'll be looking on Craigslist for any good deals and I gotta sell some stuff i already have that won't fit ain't needed....

So what do you consider a MUST for a well equipped gym (I know I could get by with just a power rack so ya don't have to tell me that ;-)?
    And
    Any recommendations on brands?

Oh yea and unless I herbal great deal on some DBs I will be getting the selectorized ones that go to 170 (god how am I drawing a blank on the brand name? I used to have the 100lb set)

Opinions welcome and wanted.
    Peace
    Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
    Nicki Minaj

Hey Dun, has your garage got good height clearence? I recently moved house and the new garage wont fit the pulley attachments on my power rack lol
    Last edited by tms1978; 04-26-2012, 01:55 PM. Reason: sp
    Not just making up the numbers

Comment

I have my home gym that I am just now upgrading,
      I have some benches, power rack, tower etc..
      and next month I'm gonna receive the powertec leverage machine
      this one http://www.powertecfitness.com/p-29-...e-wb-ls11.aspx
      they have two models
      It's pretty awesome and there are accessories you can add, like leg press,
      pec flys, dip machine etc..
      "In the church, they say to forgive"
      "Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting"

Comment

I am doing the same thing this summer. Actually having the garage built. The point about the ceiling height above is a good one, esp if you are gonna be doing Reggies. lol

I'm going to be putting flooring in throughout the whole garage with materials similar to a deadlift platform-
        http://www.gymequipment.uk.com/store..._Platform.html That seems like something to consider if you're spending all that money anyway.

Also I'm gonna be fitting a sound system in. Nothing extravagant lol, probably some of Bose or Harmon Kardon's chaeper range for the speakers and an ipod for the player. But it will be fixed in so it's out of the way etc.

I have about 250kg of Olympic bumper plates, maybe a good idea to save the floor since it's your floor. lol If you shop around and find the Chinese brands they are quite cheap, you don't have to buy Eleiko or Ivanko!

Different types of bars- neutral grip bars, ezbar, axle, etc jus for a change of pace.

You need a good, commercial quality bench. Preferably one that goes from decline or flat to 90 degree.

Wont be any machines or anything fancy in mine. Just power rack, barbells, dumbells and weights.
        PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

I left out the flooring. I am getting horse stall flooring. It's thick (you can order different thicknesses) hard rubber like any gym mat...just a hell of a lot cheaper. I'll post a link after I look one up.

And ceiling ht is real good...gotta be 10 feet or better.

Edit....stall mat. The 13X25 will basically cover my whole garage for 375 bucks. It comes in textured or smooth. That's just a quick search, I may be able to find better deals at farm stores within driving distance.
          Last edited by thedunhill225; 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM.

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
          Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Oh yea, is love to squeeze in a good glute/ham raise... Gotta round out the buttocks!!!

BTW... One reason I am so looking forward to having the gym is I would like to put together a powerlifting team for the special Olympics. I've talked to a cpl friends that are competitors and they agreed to help so anyone here in nj that would like to get involved would be great. As I said I won't close till October and then I figure a cpl months to complete the gym and I'll go from there.
            Peace.

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

I think EliteFTS has a home gym specific line in their website, their products are a bit pricey but the quality is excellent.
              "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Dun, when you get a chance, could you post up the brands for the plate loaded pulldown and vert leg press?

I need to start my wishlist for when I buy (steal?) a house...

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                  I left out the flooring. I am getting horse stall flooring. It's thick (you can order different thicknesses) hard rubber like any gym mat...just a hell of a lot cheaper. I'll post a link after I look one up.

Edit....stall mat. The 13X25 will basically cover my whole garage for 375 bucks. It comes in textured or smooth. That's just a quick search, I may be able to find better deals at farm stores within driving distance.
                  Where did you find this Dun? I've been looking for something like this for my basement. Thanks in advance.

Use my discount code JHR112 and get 5% off at TrueProtein.com

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS-Dante

Comment

The leg press I am most likely to get (barring a better deal on used equipment) is a Yukon. It say angled but its like 7* or something (almost vertical) and is rated at 800... Might not sound like that much but remember...this ain't a 40-45* leg press that ya can slap a grand on.... 800 at that angle is a LOT.

The pulldown has not been picked out yet. I will look for used or new...don't matter...just want a sturdy beast pulldown.

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

The kind of gym I want

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/kick_ass.htm

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

I put new floor just two weeks ago,
                        went for the one made by bodysolid,
                        0.5 inch thick rubber, each sheet is 80lbs,
                        very good quality, you can drop (and/or throw) barbel and dumbbells with no problems, good for noise as well being rubber
                        "In the church, they say to forgive"
                        "Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting"

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                          The leg press I am most likely to get (barring a better deal on used equipment) is a Yukon. It say angled but its like 7* or something (almost vertical) and is rated at 800... Might not sound like that much but remember...this ain't a 40-45* leg press that ya can slap a grand on.... 800 at that angle is a LOT.

The pulldown has not been picked out yet. I will look for used or new...don't matter...just want a sturdy beast pulldown.
                          Dun,

I would NOT buy that yukon "vertical" (just a tad off upright) leg press. Dig deeper and you'll find some fairly negative reviews on it.

Search here and you'll find several threads on home gyms. I have an ironmaster (www.ironmaster.com) in my garage and I'm very happy with it. It functions as a vertical leg press quite well.

-S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Thanks. I'll check out reviews. I know someone has to still make a commercial vertical leg press, I really want a dedicated leg press. If anyone knows who still makes one please let me know.... I should start checking the used equipment stores just to see if they are out there.

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

I second Scott's advice on the Yukon leg press....my friend had one and i used it and almost blew my back out....too much pressure on the spine down there as you get deeper, at least for me....That thing was like a herniated disc or four waiting to happen....lol
                              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Working...
                              X