Cotton Mouth...Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotton Mouth...Suggestions

I'm in my carb load phase and water is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Friday it's getting shut down. I've only come up with a couple things for keeping my mouth from drying out. I have those Listerine sheets, but I spit it out after a few seconds. I really don't think it would effect anything, but I won't risk it. The other idea was Listerine itself. Any other ideas? The problem is that I can't do anything that would effect my load. So, just to be safe I don't want to take anything in, which means no gum, suckers, nothing. I probably just need to deal with it, but it would be nice to have another option and to be able to share that with others.

By the way wish me Luck on Saturday at the Kentucky Derby. I will be in my best shape ever. I'll make sure to post pics when It's over.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Good luck!

Can you rinse your mouth out with water?

Or a less harsh mouthwash?

If you're putting a Listerine strip and spitting it out... CO Bigelow's Mentha lip line may help with keeping your breath fresh. 2% peppermint oil.

http://www.bigelowchemists.com/c-o-b...illa-mint.html

I don't know why they don't have just plain mint listed on their website. I just bought a minty chapstick not too long ago at the mall.
    #docswholift
    PGY-1 FM
    "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

I've heard of a few "remedies" for dry mouth, several might help you...

One thing about store bought mouthwash is that it contains alcohol, which is a drying agent, so instead, try a "homebrew" rinse made with herbs that help with saliva production. Combine 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, 1 teaspoon dried mint, and 1 teaspoon aniseed with 2 1/2 cups boiling water. Cover and steep for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain and refrigerate. Use as a gargle/rinse.

Another is to suck on cherry or olive pits. I've never tried this but just sucking on the pits shouldn't affect you and it might be worth a try.

You can also brush with a non-alcohol based flouride toothpaste to help with saliva production.

Kill it on Saturday Dave!
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
        Good luck!

Can you rinse your mouth out with water?

Or a less harsh mouthwash?

If you're putting a Listerine strip and spitting it out... CO Bigelow's Mentha lip line may help with keeping your breath fresh. 2% peppermint oil.

http://www.bigelowchemists.com/c-o-b...illa-mint.html

I don't know why they don't have just plain mint listed on their website. I just bought a minty chapstick not too long ago at the mall.
        Yeah, I can rinse it out with water. That helps a bit. I don't mind harsh mouthwash, but where I went didn't have orange. I would have preferred that. I'll look for the Bigelow's, but I don't have time to wait to order it. Good suggestions though. I'm just savoring the water I get today. Tomorrow and Friday are going to be a bear. I forgot how much I hate not drinking water. We normally don't cut it this early (Friday), but I tend to hold water more so it just works better for me.

Truenutrition.com
        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Good luck!! It took me a little over two days to finally feel hydrated after cutting water last week - I forgot how much it sucks haha.

I used to use this (recommended by my dentist): http://www.biotene.com. It works pretty well to reintroduce and retain the moisture in your mouth. Every so often my mouth gets really dry, no matter how much I drink.
          2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Figure & Overall
          2013 NPC Rhode Island - 1st Figure
          2012 NPC Emerald Cup - 2nd Figure
          2010 NPC Northwest Championships - 4th Figure

Comment

I'll have to check out that Biotene. That might work. Thanks.

Truenutrition.com
            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I didn't tell you I replaced your spinach with...well sorry you've got cotton mouth now, you'll have the munchies soon

good luck with your show

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                Yeah, I can rinse it out with water. That helps a bit. I don't mind harsh mouthwash, but where I went didn't have orange. I would have preferred that. I'll look for the Bigelow's, but I don't have time to wait to order it. Good suggestions though. I'm just savoring the water I get today. Tomorrow and Friday are going to be a bear. I forgot how much I hate not drinking water. We normally don't cut it this early (Friday), but I tend to hold water more so it just works better for me.
                I would do only and exactly what the other part of the above "we" suggests is the way to go here.

-S
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Scott, your right. I just was thinking about something like mouthwash. That really is the extent of what I'll do. My coach just doesn't want any unknowns going into my system since I'm pretty sensitive and I don't want to risk taking in something that could effect things at this point. Thanks.

Truenutrition.com
                  Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                    Scott, your right. I just was thinking about something like mouthwash. That really is the extent of what I'll do. My coach just doesn't want any unknowns going into my system since I'm pretty sensitive and I don't want to risk taking in something that could effect things at this point. Thanks.
                    Understood, but did you ask him what to do? There are various solutions here, he's the person to pick one, methinks (unless he just gave you a general mandate and you're looking to stay within those boundaries).

-S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Suck on ice cubes and spit it out.
                      If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                      http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                      2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                      2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

vinegar mixed with white wine

Comment

I stuck to the plan, but when I needed water I did use ice cubes. I asked my coach for suggestions. He really wanted me to tough it out since a lot if people will take a mile if given an inch. I was more worried because I misread the plan. I originally thought it said"no water" on Friday, but I was actually allowed 97 ounces of waterx 8 meals. It worked perfect and was in my best shape ever. Oh, and I won my class and did well in the overall.

Truenutrition.com
                          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Congrats Doberman! Amazing work. Post some pics when ya get time.
                            2005 HOA Natural Classic
                            2006 OCB Midwest
                            2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                            2008 HOA Natural Classic
                            NPC Mid-Illinois
                            NPC Midwest Open
                            NPC Natural Grand Prix
                            2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                            USPA Illinois State
                            NGA Heart of America
                            NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Working...
                            X