question for a PT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for a PT

Occasionally, my girlfriends hip will slip out of place. the right hip will be as much as two inches above the other causing pain thru the right hip and buttock,lasting several days. there are a few streches that help and it will correct itself in time but is getting to be real annoying. any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Oh my tebow.... So many openings in this thread.... Lol.
    Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
    Nicki Minaj

Comment

I have a side job as a PT aide...could be an upslip? Does she run a lot and if so, are the surfaces she's running on uneven (ie, running on one side of the road). She also might have scoliosis? Either way, go see a doctor, heh.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Agree with mccoy. Sounds like an upslip. Once you get it in place do a lot of adductor squeezes with long holds. Also, tell her not to go down stairs with that leg as thick jarring force from stepping down could potentially throw her out.

As regards to the cause, could be a lot of things. Keep working those stretches and make sure she is not too tight or have muscle imbalances that throw her "out".
        "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

You talking the femur head slips up or the Iliac crest of the Ilium itself moves up?
          2014 NPC Mr MN State TBD
          2012 NPC MN state 40+ 1st and 3rd Hvy *Injury :frusty:
          2012 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 1st SuperHvy
          2011 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 2nd Open Hvy.
          2011 NPC Upper Midwest 40+ 1st and Super Hvy 1st
          2009 Gopher State 4th Hvy and 4th Masters 40+
          *11 Natural contest 1992-2000 placed top 4 of all
          88 Natural Mr MN 2nd Teen
          88 Gopher State 4th Teen Hvy Div 176lbs

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Hartley View Post
            You talking the femur head slips up or the Iliac crest of the Ilium itself moves up?
            Wasn't aware the iliac crest moved (95% sure it doesn't or can't). Probably the femur slipped out which if happened something major must have happened at some point. The hip is really stable, the femur popping out isn't really going to happen like you described.
            Simple thing to make this more specific, where are you looking at that is higher by two inches. Are you feeling anterior or posterior, how close to the midline, has she pulled any muscles around the hip in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
              Wasn't aware the iliac crest moved (95% sure it doesn't or can't). Probably the femur slipped out which if happened something major must have happened at some point. The hip is really stable, the femur popping out isn't really going to happen like you described.
              Simple thing to make this more specific, where are you looking at that is higher by two inches. Are you feeling anterior or posterior, how close to the midline, has she pulled any muscles around the hip in the past.
              Its not just the iliac crest that is moving, its the whole ilium/side of the pelvis slipping up on one side. Its fairly common. I know there is some research saying the SI joint is very stable and won't move unless you are a pregnant female, but what you see in the clinic is very different (and why most PTs disagree with the research). I have treated at least 5 patients in the past 2 months with an upslip and they can tell when its out of place.
              "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

both seen and felt from the posterior,large plate-like bone is definitely out of alignment, one higher than the other.no muscle pulls in the recent past but this out of alignment occurs every 4 or 5 months. and thanks dunhill for not getting started.

Comment

the key word was upslip. i googled iliac crest, upslip and got several good sites which had diagrams and info which matched the symptoms exactly. thanks for the replies and helpful info.

Comment

Big Ross, Look at your anatomy, it moves... I have a pretty good idea of how the joints work. I was a Chiropractor for 7 years.
                    2014 NPC Mr MN State TBD
                    2012 NPC MN state 40+ 1st and 3rd Hvy *Injury :frusty:
                    2012 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 1st SuperHvy
                    2011 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 2nd Open Hvy.
                    2011 NPC Upper Midwest 40+ 1st and Super Hvy 1st
                    2009 Gopher State 4th Hvy and 4th Masters 40+
                    *11 Natural contest 1992-2000 placed top 4 of all
                    88 Natural Mr MN 2nd Teen
                    88 Gopher State 4th Teen Hvy Div 176lbs

Comment

I am living proof that the SI Joint can move and become "displaced".....my most serious injury to date, and a nagging one that keeps me from doing alot of movements and just basic things in life.....
                      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Hartley View Post
                        Big Ross, Look at your anatomy, it moves... I have a pretty good idea of how the joints work. I was a Chiropractor for 7 years.
                        Yeah I interpreted his question wrong. Quick google session answered that you guys are right about up slip. I was thinking along hip dislocations, not imbalances.
                        Once he stated the locations I understood what he was saying.
                        Last edited by big ross; 04-24-2012, 01:49 AM. Reason: Autocorrect fAil

Comment

Working...
                        X