Recipe Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe Help

I was wondering if anyone on here has any simple ways to make Tilapia and Spinach with out adding many calories. I am good with the fish, but really don't have any idea on how to do the spinach to make it palatable. This is for my depletion phase before my show next week so I'll choke down anything but if I can make it taste better I'll be happier. I'm thinking of just buying raw spinach, then cooking it in a pan with a small amount of spray and some garlic salt. Beyond that I can't think of any ways to make it without adding a ton of calories. Any ideas? Dunhill?
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

I use spray butter and various walden farm sauces myself. Ranch or Blue cheese+hot sauce I put on most everything I eat outside of my chili.

Comment

Dried and crushed tomato, basil and garlic! I think Mrs. Dash has this seasoning and you can cook using lemon and add extra flavor with lemon zest. You can also use lemon pepper seasoning and No-Salt (potassium chloride).

FYI - Even through those spray butters say 0 calories, they actually have 4 kcals per 5 spray serving. Legally, they are allowed to call anything calorie free if it is below 5 calories per serving. For example, Parkay Spray has .8 calories in 1 spray and 4 calories in 5 sprays. Fat content is .085 grams in 1 spray, .4 grams in 5 sprays. That means that in the entire bottle there are 832 total calories from 93 grams of fat.
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
        Dried and crushed tomato, basil and garlic! I think Mrs. Dash has this seasoning and you can cook using lemon and add extra flavor with lemon zest. You can also use lemon pepper seasoning and No-Salt (potassium chloride).

FYI - Even through those spray butters say 0 calories, they actually have 4 kcals per 5 spray serving. Legally, they are allowed to call anything calorie free if it is below 5 calories per serving. For example, Parkay Spray has .8 calories in 1 spray and 4 calories in 5 sprays. Fat content is .085 grams in 1 spray, .4 grams in 5 sprays. That means that in the entire bottle there are 832 total calories from 93 grams of fat.
        Oh yeah I know this, but since he requested without adding many calories, I felt it was minimal. 5 sprays is about all I use on spinach, but I can see how some people would get out of hand...there has been times I just opened it and poured it on rice lol.

Comment

Evoo has 120 cals per table spoon so I personally would just calculate a cpl table spoons into my caloric intake and saute the spinach in garlic and a cpl tbl spoons evoo. If you can't or don't wanna do that you could easily bake or grill the talapia and have it as a spinach salad with the grilled talapia.

There are plenty of ways to do the talapia... You could bake with some lemon slices and maybe red pepper on it (I know there is probably no sense telling you to make sure you salt it...lol)... You can just take some diced tomatoes, diced red onions (soak the red onions in ice water to mellow them out first or they will over power EVERYTHING), a lill lemon juice, red pepper flakes, garlic, parsley or cilantro and some acidic fruit you like and just top the grilled talapia with that.... You can also add some of the salsa into some foil with the fish and grill like that (you can seal the fish and salsa in the foil so it will actually steam in the oven or on the grill)... You can get the flavors into the fish but discard the salsa if you don't want to eat it...

If you decide to go the salad route just grill or bake the fish with lemon and pepper or red pepper..
          Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
          Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
          Nicki Minaj

Comment

BTW, you can also make some simple and filling fish tacos with the talapia and spinach as the main ingrediants but I know you are trying to limit any additional cals
            Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
            Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
            Nicki Minaj

Comment

Thanks fellas. I can't add any oil to the meal since I have to do 4 days @ 800-1000 calories a day of fish and spinach for depletion before my show next weekend, but I may do a couple sprays of it in a pan and cook the spinach in garlic like you said. Thankfully, I love fish, but I'm not the biggest fan of cooked spinach so maybe I'll do the salad thing. I do a re feed tomorrow then the depletion Saturday-Tuesday before my carb load. I think I might do the salsa thing with some lemon pepper. Heck 2 tbsp of the salsa I have (Pace) is only 10 calories per 2 tbsp and it actually tastes pretty good. Thanks again guys. Any other suggestions? I was also thinking of trying to make a soup out of the fish and cooked spinach, but that may be too much of a challenge. I suppose it really doesn't matter, but just am worried about gnawing off my own arm by the 3rd day.

Truenutrition.com
              Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                Thanks fellas. I can't add any oil to the meal since I have to do 4 days @ 800-1000 calories a day of fish and spinach for depletion before my show next weekend, but I may do a couple sprays of it in a pan and cook the spinach in garlic like you said. Thankfully, I love fish, but I'm not the biggest fan of cooked spinach so maybe I'll do the salad thing. I do a re feed tomorrow then the depletion Saturday-Tuesday before my carb load. I think I might do the salsa thing with some lemon pepper. Heck 2 tbsp of the salsa I have (Pace) is only 10 calories per 2 tbsp and it actually tastes pretty good. Thanks again guys. Any other suggestions? I was also thinking of trying to make a soup out of the fish and cooked spinach, but that may be too much of a challenge. I suppose it really doesn't matter, but just am worried about gnawing off my own arm by the 3rd day.
                How about cooking it up with some garlic, a little bit of low sodium soy sauce, and maybe a small amount of sesame seeds? However, even low sodium soy sauce can still be loaded with sodium...

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Sodium is actually fine during this part of the week. We keep it high until the end of the week. We never go down to zero on sodium, but will lower it the last couple days. I think I'm leaning toward the fish in a fruit salsa, and the spinach in garlic and soy sauce. Both sound simple and like they will enhance the flavor enough to keep it interesting. Thanks.

Truenutrition.com
                  Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I like to bake my tilapia with creole seasoning on it. I like the idea of the spinach with garlic and soy sauce.

Use my discount code JHR112 and get 5% off at TrueProtein.com

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS-Dante

Comment

Working...
                    X