Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here is an accomplished olympic lifter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here is an accomplished olympic lifter?

I don't know why, but I am getting an urge to try it out. I want to spend the next couple months reading about it while I achieve my power lifting goals.

Who has starting advice?

I'm not an olympic lifter, but Glenn Pendlay's site has a lot of instructional videos for all of the lifts! Hope this is helpful

Comment

Here are a couple of ways to get started.

1. Go to the USAWeighlifting website and find a Local Weightlifting Club near you. There will be a coach there who can help you learn and they will also have the proper equipment.

2. If this is not an option, then along with the site above, there are two books which have great information. Check out Greg Everett's book and/or see if you can get ahold of The Power Trip by Don McCauley.

These are a couple of very good starting points. If you are intent on doing this, then spend an inordinate amount of time working on your flexibility through dynamic movement.
      FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
      If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

youre definitely gonna want to find a competent coach to help you out, the usual progression is learning the movements with a pvc pipe then moving on to bar weight then adding in more load as you become familiar and proficient in the movments. one thing i will say is be ready to be constantly working on flexibility and be sure to get a good long warm up and cool down because those movements will make you very stiff.. i know that oly movements have found their way more and more into powerlifting so I think as long as you are smart with them they can be a really great tool to get you to your goals..
        M.S., B.S., B.A., CSCS, USAW

"There is no substitute for strength, and no excuse for the lack of it"

"Two pains in life: pain of hard work and pain of regret"

Comment

Working...
        X