Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cut protein carbs or fats?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cut protein carbs or fats?

    I'm going on a trip in May and decided to diet for 6 weeks with a goal to drop 5-10 pounds. This time was also going to be used to get down to a nice low body fat % in order to set me up for a solid 6-8 months of slowly gaining weight.

    All I did was add in 4x cardio session a week and cut my carbs in half. It has been 3 weeks and I have not lost a pound.

    I started out at

    200g protein
    200g carbs
    60g fat

    I was gaining 5 pounds a week to my power lifts doing this and my body weight was staying the same. After taking out 100g carbs and adding in the 4x cardio sessions, I am no longer gaining strength, I am not losing it either, but I am not losing weight.

    I was once told to keep cutting calories if I'm not losing strength. Should I cut protein, carbs, or fats?

  • #2
    I'm not an authority on losing weight but you could try some other things.

    Instead of cutting calories and potentially losing strength. You could A) add a fat burner B) change cardio sessions to fasted sessions in the morning C) change types of protein, fats and carbs your eating or D) add longer cardio sessions. 5-10 pounds isn't too much to lose but if you aren't in hurry you could try my suggestions.

    To answer your original question I always cut carbs because I response best to that but that is a personal thing I found works best for me.
    The only easy day is yesterday

    Comment


    • #3
      So you're already down to under 2200 cals a day, and haven't lost anything? What does the meal structure look like? 6 meals a day, 3 meals? Fats in every meal? Carbs in every meal? You need to give alot more info on how you have everything laid out....
      STEEL




      "SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

      Comment


      • #4
        Give more info... but I would guess you are going to need to rotate between high and low calories days (mostly manipulating carbs), and/or increase your cardio...

        What is your weight, workout split, how much cardio etc.
        -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
        -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
        198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
        -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
        198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
        -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
        198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
          Give more info... but I would guess you are going to need to rotate between high and low calories days (mostly manipulating carbs), and/or increase your cardio...

          What is your weight, workout split, how much cardio etc.
          THIS. I'm not sure how this could have happened so quick, but it sounds like your metabolism has stalled.
          1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
          2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
          2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
          2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
          2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
          2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

          Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
            So you're already down to under 2200 cals a day, and haven't lost anything? What does the meal structure look like? 6 meals a day, 3 meals? Fats in every meal? Carbs in every meal? You need to give alot more info on how you have everything laid out....

            I was doing this for 2-3 months and making what I consider great progress in the gym doing 5/3/1. Ya I can / probably should eat way more than this but I always end up getting fat (for what I like being). I am taking it slow and did not want to gain more than ½ a pound a week.

            Meal 1:
            2 large scoops of whey
            2 pieces of whole wheat bread
            1 tbs of peanut butter

            Meal 2:
            250g cottage cheese
            2 tbs peanut butter

            Meal 3: (pre workout)
            2 talapia fillets
            6 large perogies with 1 tbs greek yoghurt
            Serving of veggies

            OR

            1 six inch turkey/ ham sub on whole wheat with double meat

            OR

            A massive burger and salad

            Meal 4: (post workout)
            2 large scoops whey
            1 banana

            Meal 5:
            4 eggs, 150g egg whites, ketchup

            Sometimes if I stayed up late doing homework I would have meal 6

            Meal 6:
            2 scoops whey
            2 tbs peanut butter

            I added in 2x tabata burpee sessions (these fucking destroy me, I never sweat this much in my life). 1 boxing style 2 min on 1 min off high intensity skipping session for 5 rounds (this also destroys me). And 1 low intensity 30 min cardio session on a bike. The variety keeps me not bored.

            I took out meal 6 no matter how hungry I was, and took out 50% of the carbs from each meal. On Saturday I eat a whole pizza because I’m so hungry / craving it. I have no idea if this is beneficial or not.

            Zero weight loss. Starving 24/7. Feel great after eating a full pizza. Performance in the gym is fine. No PR’s, but no decrease in strength (still pulling 500 for reps under 200lbs). Tomorrow will be start of week 4. Doing this another 4 weeks then quitting.

            edit:

            one thing that is improving is my endurance/ work capacity during those high intensity workouts.
            Suggestions?
            Last edited by syssstem; 04-15-2012, 08:46 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              I would start by changing your carbs to oats, sweet potatoes, rice. I am on a diet with similar cals to yours. Heres a link to it, just for some ideas:
              http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=46768
              I have changed meal 4 to 8oz lean beef.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by maddzz View Post
                I would start by changing your carbs to oats, sweet potatoes, rice. I am on a diet with similar cals to yours. Heres a link to it, just for some ideas:
                http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=46768
                I have changed meal 4 to 8oz lean beef.
                any reasons for those suggestions? any credentials you feel qualify you to give advice?

                not being a dick just curious.

                I ate oats raw for like 4 years. They make me gag, can't eat them. Sweet patatoes are a hassle to cook. Rice is good and I do eat it in place of the perogies frequently.

                I am hoping my issue is macro nutrient related and has nothing to do with the source of my food. I doubt switching from one source of carbs to another will make much of a difference, who knows though I could be wrong?!


                edit:

                Right now I feel like I have 3 options.

                1) lower my protein, carbs, or fats even more (if this is a good idea, what one should I lower).

                2) change the timing of my current macro nutritient intake (does this even make a big difference)?

                3) cycle carbs and fats. ex/ high carb low fat on training days, no carb high fat on off/cardio days (no clue how or why this would be a good idea compared to just eating the same thing every day).
                Last edited by syssstem; 04-16-2012, 01:03 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You don't need to eat your oats raw man (That just sounds gross!!) What i do is cook them in the microwave with cinnamon, splenda, and water and add some sugar free jam after it is done cooking when dieting and it is pretty good. I went from a fat 260 plus to a fairly lean 200 eating this pretty much every morning

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Big O View Post
                    You don't need to eat your oats raw man (That just sounds gross!!) What i do is cook them in the microwave with cinnamon, splenda, and water and add some sugar free jam after it is done cooking when dieting and it is pretty good. I went from a fat 260 plus to a fairly lean 200 eating this pretty much every morning
                    He can also just put oats in his shake and drink them.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
                      He can also just put oats in his shake and drink them.
                      I did all that. It was literally my only carb source for years. I am sick of them. great suggestions though, thanks!

                      why are you guys so confident that simply changing the source of my carbs will "spark" fat loss compared to me cutting 100g of carbs and adding 4x high intensity cardio sessions?!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well it is difficult for me to say for all certainty what will definitely work for you, but I know what has always worked for me in the past. Granted everybody has different metabolisms but for me carbs=energy. If I go really low on the carbs I lose too much strength because I just can't seem to train as hard/heavy. I only reduce carbs, never eliminate them (mind I am not a competitive bodybuilder). In my opinion if you are just dieting to get lean and not to get shredded you should't need to kill yourself on a diet

                        Ohh and try fasted cardio everyday it has always worked wonders for me (just 30 min per day and then adjust from there)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          First off, no credentials and I am no expert, but I was experiencing something similar. I cut back my cals, was eating clean and at a level I had figured would allow me to lose some more weight, but i stalled out. My lifts were going up, I could see some progress muscle wise, but my weight was staying the same. I was doing fasted cardio on non lifting days, and with my active job, that was about all I could handle.

                          I am at around 20% BF and didn't want to take the next two years to slowly bring the muscle up while maintaining the same weight and slowly losing fat.

                          So recently, i have cut out the red meat and am sticking almost entirely to chicken, turkey and TN DC protein shakes for my protein sources. I also started taking a fat burner and the results have been pretty good. I'm consistently losing 2 pounds a week and my lifts are still improving.

                          My diet is a bit boring, but the results are worth it. I, like many others, seem to respond best to cutting back on carbs vs. fats and protein.

                          I don't know if this helps at all, but I thought i would chime in.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I tend to think on the lines of what Doberman said.....your cals have not been that high for some time, you then cut them, and might have stalled your metabolism....I am no expert, but if it were me and I was on my own, I would prob take one day and do a HUGE refeed.....If this does not see you losing a couple pounds that week, do it one more time the following week. Then, if nothing, maybe take 2-3 weeks of juicing up the calories everyday, no dieting, so your body knows you are not dieting anymore, then reinstitute your diet....

                            I also think you should be doing refeeds regularly. This has not only proven to be SOO beneficial to the metabolism, but your strength will prob go up for a few days after the refeed since you are so glycogen filled....

                            The benefits of a refeeed type day while dieting are so profound at times, I don't know why one would not use one....It's like cutting the lawn with a weedwacker rather than a lawnmower, when you have a mower too....It's a viable tool for weight loss and a rip roaring metabolism, so why wouldn't one use one, weekly? At this point you hafta try something....
                            STEEL




                            "SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by syssstem View Post
                              I'm going on a trip in May and decided to diet for 6 weeks with a goal to drop 5-10 pounds. This time was also going to be used to get down to a nice low body fat % in order to set me up for a solid 6-8 months of slowly gaining weight.

                              All I did was add in 4x cardio session a week and cut my carbs in half. It has been 3 weeks and I have not lost a pound.

                              I started out at

                              200g protein
                              200g carbs
                              60g fat

                              I was gaining 5 pounds a week to my power lifts doing this and my body weight was staying the same. After taking out 100g carbs and adding in the 4x cardio sessions, I am no longer gaining strength, I am not losing it either, but I am not losing weight.

                              I was once told to keep cutting calories if I'm not losing strength. Should I cut protein, carbs, or fats?
                              Expect to lose some strength while dieting. I would continue cardio and eat less carbs throughout the day. NO CHEAT MEALS. Cycle your macros on/off days.:plane:
                              SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: MUSCLEHOUSE

                              :llama:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X