1.5 Barbell Row Form Check (I'm weak)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5 Barbell Row Form Check (I'm weak)

When I do these I feel like I am a lot more parallel to the ground than I seem to be in the video.

I can't figure out barbell rows. I think it may be a flexibility issue.

Lol @ how weak I am

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67MP1eQRecw[/YOUTUBE]

For standing, non resetting rows, your form looks great. You don't want to be parallel with a heavy ass barbell...it puts way too much pressure on your spine. If you want to be parallel or close to it, do pendlay rows instead as the weight resets and thus keeps the pressure off your back.

BTW, looking massive.

Comment

Take this for whats is worth as you seem to already know quite a bit on how to be successful in the gym, but, it regards to the parrallel issue you want it the way you currently have it in the video. Getting into more of a 90 degree setup (ala pendalay) will really torque the shit out of your lower back and loosen your form when having to deal with the 1/2 rep. I think you hit it right on the head man.

EDIT: Damn Mike you beat me to it and DOH, are youz on teh kreatinzze?
      Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

I did not know that guys, thanks. For years I thought I was standing too upright while doing barbell rows.

Comment

Creatine in the socks.

Comment

If you really feel the need to get just a little deeper, here is how Hanshaw does them. At first glance it appears his back is taking a ton of strain on the way down, but if you look closely you can see him activating his glutes and hammies to support the weight on the negative. Rows are definitely one of those movements that you have to get a bit looser with your form in order to progress...you can only get so far doing them perfectly clean.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI1baa6MzwI[/youtube]

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
              Rows are definitely one of those movements that you have to get a bit looser with your form in order to progress...you can only get so far doing them perfectly clean.
              Better tell this guy...

[YOUTUBE]JhmLjPfibpE[/YOUTUBE]

PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                Better tell this guy...

[YOUTUBE]JhmLjPfibpE[/YOUTUBE]

For weak guys like me you have to .

That is ridiculously awesome what that guy is doing.

Comment

What do you boys think of doing rows with a trap bar?
                  SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                    What do you boys think of doing rows with a trap bar?
                    Never thought about those, but I'll try them next week.

Comment

I have done them in this fashion.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzOnHAi8efI[/YOUTUBE]

Bruno has also done them like so.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHVDOPSxhAI[/YOUTUBE]

I liked it. Hits the muscle differently for me so that's a plus

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCrazy View Post
                        Never thought about those, but I'll try them next week.
                        Looking forward to your feedback, especially compared to conventional bb rows. I was thinking of doing them Pendlay style myself with the trap bar.
                        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCrazy View Post
                          Creatine in the socks.
                          LOL, I still remember that train wreck of a thread!

Comment

I thought your form was great on that set DOH....

As far as comparing form from someone like Dusty, I know it's just for reference, but I don't think it necessarily applies to most of us. Dusty makes his living in the gym, and thus probably does not suffer from any core weaknesses or instabilities, like almost all of us recreational bb'ers probably do....anything from our line of work to our specific genetics can predetermine if we are a back injury waiting to happen....even someone like Homon, who admitted that his Tbar row form was a bit loose, would be considered extremely advanced, and therefore may be able to get away with a bit looser form with extreme poundages, due to his core being do strong from years and years of brutally heavy squats and deads and others that help keep everything in the right place. I just think as being the "weekender" equivalent to someone very advanced, we should look at their form as being theirs, and strive to do an exercise in the safest manner possible.

I only feel this way because of my own structural instabilities causing a very bad back injury a few years back.....
                            STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

And lets keep in mind that this is 1.5 reps. That makes a difference....none of the videos other than DOH's show 1.5 reps so it is not apples:apples. Granted 405lb rows with the form displayed above is very impressive, I doubt his form would have been as strict while doing 1.5 reps.

Comment

Working...
                              X