5-3-1 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-3-1 question

I've been running 5/3/1 for a while now and feel great. My lower body is definitely improving a ton and I feel a lot stronger there. My presses though, that's another issue. I've benched more weight in the past, regularly, than I have been during the last 4 months or so of this program. I completely understand that shit happens, squats and deads have more room to grow, that at times your pulls and squats will be good and presses will not be. What I am wondering is if doing a moderate rest pause, or cluster type intensity adder (Can't think of the right word for my life) would be a viable option. I've done 315 for 5 before but this last week I could only muster 310 for 4(not absolute failure but it would take a miracle for me to get another full rep). Would it be detrimental or even worth the effort to throw a rest pause extra rep or two on the pressing movements.

Keep 5/3/1 main exercise/rep scheme the way it is. I'd say never mess with it.

What I do is for my 5x10 assistance exercise, I switched to CGBP for bench days and I do them paused each rep.

Comment

What's your accessory work look like? Personally I find my bench responds well to frequency. Perhaps just adding some lighter bench work as an accessory lift on your OH press day would help.

Comment

315x5 and 310x4 is not a big difference - that could easily be a result of form being slightly off, less energy... could even be mental.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
        2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
        2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
        2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
        2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Accessory is in my journal. Was doing dips, rolling DB extensions and pull ups. This wave started doing 5x10 but wanted todo some speed shit. I understand the difference isn't much but it's been 4 months and not really noticeable improvement, even worse compared to pulls and squats. I was gonna throw spoon press in on bench day and push ups on OHP day. We'll see what happens next wave.

Comment

Reset your training max.
            Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

I am definatley no expert.... but I have found that if I do alot of work during a cycle I can at times feel pretty run down. I have made good progress on a couple of cycles by just doing the main lifts and hardly any assitance work at all and on some days none. Maybe you need a rest!

Comment

Any chance that all that heavy squatting and pulling is affecting your press? Your body can only improve so much at any given time...
                '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                17 AAU Super Total
                '16-AAU Hi
                '15-USPA Metro
                '15-USPA State
                '15-AAU HI
                '14-AAU HI
                '14-USPA Metro
                '14-WABDL Sonny's
                '14-USPA State
                '14-HI Strongman
                '13-USPA
                '13-WABDL Sonny's
                '13-USPA State
                '13-AAU HI
                '11-USPA Metro
                '10-NPC Stingrey
                '09-NPC Islands
                '09-NPC Stingrey
                '09-ABA Islands
                '02-ABA Islands
                '02-ABA IronWorks
                '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                '01-ABA Olympia
                '01-ABA Islands
                '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                '00-INBF Musclefest
                '98-NGA Ill
                '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I'm still hitting the target reps for every exercise so no need to reset them yet. I treat accessory work like accessory work. Was just wondering if there was a glaring weakness I had or a specific "thing" I was missing.
                  I think you may be right about you can only improve so much at a time. I don't take any supps right now and school has been kickin my ass. Things will probably come up again in the summer when I get my money right and less school stress.

Comment

Working...
                  X