Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meal Frequency Article

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Meal Frequency Article

    Just thought I'd share an interesting article I just read. The article cites that although intermittent fasting (IF) is not for everyone, that meal timing really doesn't seem to have a negative effect on gaining muscle or reducing fat as some think. It cites some benefits of IF:

    Favorable changes to blood lipids
    Reduced blood pressure
    Decreased markers of inflammation
    Reduction in oxidative stress
    Increased Growth Hormone release
    Greater thermogenesis/elevated metabolic rate
    Improved fat burning
    Improved appetite control

    Feel free to read for yourself.

    http://www.ericcressey.com/the-truth...asting-for-you

  • #2
    Good article... but blatent plagarism of a lot of ideas of Lean Gains as set up by Martin Berkam(sp?).

    I've been doing IF as he has set up (16hr fast, 8 hour feeding) for that last year (with a few small tweaks), and can't ever see myself doing anything else, it's so much easier, and the results are awesome!
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

    Comment


    • #3
      Additional Note/Addendum

      Many readers have noted that this is similar to what Martin Berkhan does in his LeanGeans protocol. Martin Berkhan was certainly influential in the thought process behind this, and I don’t mean to take anything away from him. To be clear, LeanGains is much more complex than a 16:8 fasting:eating period. LeanGains involves calculating calorie intake, fluctuating calorie intake +20% on training day/ -20% on off days, macronutrient cycling (high carb/low carb), supplementing with BCAA’s, etc. I didn’t use any of these techniques during my ten week experiment, I just ate to satiety during an 8-hour window. Martin is a great resource for people that want to learn more, especially on the body composition side of things. His website is leangains.com.




      Haha, looks like he had to add that after people noticed he Gormanned it.
      PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

      Comment


      • #4
        Gormanned = Classic! LMAO
        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

        - Success is the best revenge

        Comment


        • #5
          One thing I've never personally liked about IF is simply craving control. For me I found it much easier to stay on my meal plan if I know another meal is coming in 2-3 hours. If I had to go extended periods I would inevitably cheat.

          Comment


          • #6
            It's kinda funny. Although I have tried everything out there in my years training...2 grams protein per pound, girondas liver tabs every hour or whatever it was, low carbs, etc..., I have also mentioned that most of my adult life I ate probably 2 meals a day plus maybe a snack and my gains never suffered because of it...well I guess I was practicing I.F. without even trying. It's amazing how often I have been told how wrong it was and how that wouldn't work for others ...just me.

            Next thing ya know people are gonna start showing that G.I. isn't all its supposed to be......

            Peace
            Follow my NEW journal if you please:


            http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

            "They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

            "You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
            Dr. Seuss


            I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.


            "Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
            Nicki Minaj

            Comment


            • #7
              I have become a big believer in using a Fasting approach. I don't do Lean Gains, but I may try it in the offseason for a mental break since it seems that you can be a little more social with it. I am currently having a lot of success with the UP DAY DOWN DAY diet for bodybuilding purposes. It goes against a lot of bodybuilding dogma. If someone would have told me 10-15 years ago to eat a ton of food one day and only 500 calories the next I would have told them they were crazy, but man, for muscle maintenance, and even gains while dieting this has been the best I've seen.
              1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
              2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
              2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
              2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
              2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
              2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

              Truenutrition.com
              Use Discount Code AMJ

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                Additional Note/Addendum

                Many readers have noted that this is similar to what Martin Berkhan does in his LeanGeans protocol. Martin Berkhan was certainly influential in the thought process behind this, and I don’t mean to take anything away from him. To be clear, LeanGains is much more complex than a 16:8 fasting:eating period. LeanGains involves calculating calorie intake, fluctuating calorie intake +20% on training day/ -20% on off days, macronutrient cycling (high carb/low carb), supplementing with BCAA’s, etc. I didn’t use any of these techniques during my ten week experiment, I just ate to satiety during an 8-hour window. Martin is a great resource for people that want to learn more, especially on the body composition side of things. His website is leangains.com.




                Haha, looks like he had to add that after people noticed he Gormanned it.
                Haha, yeah I saw Berkhan wasnt too happy about it on twitter.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
                  One thing I've never personally liked about IF is simply craving control. For me I found it much easier to stay on my meal plan if I know another meal is coming in 2-3 hours. If I had to go extended periods I would inevitably cheat.
                  For me I just eat more at each of my 2 meals... and therefore stay full longer. The bigger the meal, the slower the digestion, and the longer you will be able to go before the next meal.

                  Also as Martin talks about with LG, after a few days your hunger signals will change to adapt to this eating style.
                  -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
                  -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
                  198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
                  -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
                  198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
                  -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
                  198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I follow a butchered Leangains approach. Works well with my classes and my fat-kid binging tendencies.

                    Also, on days when I know I'll be going to a big dinner for a special occasion, I just fast the whole day and eat that one big meal. It's funny how confused people are that I don't have to eat like a rabbit.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There is certainly more than one way to skin a cat....I have been programmed to the mindset that I need a meal every 2-3 hours. I am comfortable with this as I know that it's worked for me. While I found the IF and Lean gains approach kind of intriguing, I always say that the best plan is the one that someone can be consistent with and feels the most comfortable with......Certainly, alot of people have benefited greatly by using fasting protocols in their diets, no doubt. I really don't think that it's for me specifically at this stage of my hobby, but it seems like another avenue to evaluate in the future if I indeed want a change......
                      STEEL




                      "SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                        There is certainly more than one way to skin a cat....I have been programmed to the mindset that I need a meal every 2-3 hours. I am comfortable with this as I know that it's worked for me. While I found the IF and Lean gains approach kind of intriguing, I always say that the best plan is the one that someone can be consistent with and feels the most comfortable with......Certainly, alot of people have benefited greatly by using fasting protocols in their diets, no doubt. I really don't think that it's for me specifically at this stage of my hobby, but it seems like another avenue to evaluate in the future if I indeed want a change......
                        this.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
                          One thing I've never personally liked about IF is simply craving control. For me I found it much easier to stay on my meal plan if I know another meal is coming in 2-3 hours. If I had to go extended periods I would inevitably cheat.
                          Are you speculating, or have you actually DONE it?

                          For me it is the EXACT opposite.

                          I don't have cravings or hunger in the fast, until it is about time to break-fast typically.

                          I usually eat at 1pm, and if I get hungry at all it isn't until about 12:30 or so.

                          I typically adhere to the 16hr fast, but have easily gone well above that without an issue at all. And I like to eat..lol
                          Last edited by Imprezivr6; 03-29-2012, 12:45 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DOHCrazy View Post
                            I follow a butchered Leangains approach. Works well with my classes and my fat-kid binging tendencies.

                            Also, on days when I know I'll be going to a big dinner for a special occasion, I just fast the whole day and eat that one big meal. It's funny how confused people are that I don't have to eat like a rabbit.


                            my wife, and I to a lesser extent, does this year round

                            Saturdays she eats a very light protein-only meal (usually a chicken breast), and we go run errands, see friends, etc., then hit the gym, she has a protein shake, a few hours later we get ready to go out, and she has her cheat meal and possibly some drinks

                            By Sunday she's super light and depleted still and does a Skipload-esque day, albeit with more clean food sources than is standard and less volume overall

                            she's lost 10lbs. and held steady for almost a year all while increasing her weekly food by doing this
                            CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
                            MorphogenNutrition.com



                            2012 NPC Natural Ohio
                            2010 NGA Pro Universe
                            2010 NPC Monster Mash
                            2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
                            2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
                            2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
                            2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
                            2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
                            2008 NPC Ohio State
                            2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I agree with everyone who has discussed their surprise with abilities to eat in unconventional ways that, years ago, would have been scoffed at and would have had you laughed out of the room.

                              Doberman has a great point, too. I've had great success having some really high calorie days sprinkled in with pretty damn low-calorie days. I think there still needs to be method to madness, but I usually feel lethargic, fat and bloated if I were to eat 5-7 small meals per day like I use to. I feel and look better than I would, inversely, 90% of the day by taking part in sustained fasts or only eating a few select times per day. Hell, I now use a collection of dietary "methods," many times depending on the day of the week / what I'm training / energy output for that day, etc.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X