Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Year Old Girl Sets World Record Squat In All Ages Meet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Year Old Girl Sets World Record Squat In All Ages Meet!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...145919498.html

Steroids in her cheerios.
    :preach:

Comment

Wow

Sent from my DROIDX
      [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
      Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Quite an extraordinary feat to be sure, just not sure I agree with a 10 year old (male or female) performing maximum lifts on compound exercises. Particularly one that can cause so much spinal compression. I am not an expert in pediatric/adolescent development so, perhaps someone else can chime in here, but I just can't see this being ideal for growth plate and spinal development.

Again, this is an awesome accomplishment, I am just not sure if its worth the risks at such a young age...

Comment

I agree, im 100% for weight training at a young age, but high compression exercises, eh not so much. Regardless I need to step up my squat, ill see her on deadlifts anyday tho lol

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Comment

now when i say a 10yr old girl is stronger than u to my friends, i'm ferreal!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
              Quite an extraordinary feat to be sure, just not sure I agree with a 10 year old (male or female) performing maximum lifts on compound exercises. Particularly one that can cause so much spinal compression. I am not an expert in pediatric/adolescent development so, perhaps someone else can chime in here, but I just can't see this being ideal for growth plate and spinal development.

Again, this is an awesome accomplishment, I am just not sure if its worth the risks at such a young age...
              Agree wholeheartedly with this.
              My Log: Back to Basics

Comment

I agree with you too... If my little boy one day decides to take up weight training, I'll sure read more on the topic, since I don't know jack about how soon one can start going for sets of eight reps to failure, let alone one-rep-max attempts. But I imagine that he would probably have to stick with light weights for high-rep sets until he's past his mid-teens.

Comment

Believe it or not I think that doing squats and dead lifts with proper form is actually beneficial to the spine at any age. The weight that she lifts is impressive at 97 lbs that's for sure. Some might call it excessive but I'm sure she doesn't train with that high weight all the time.

As far as growth plate injuries I think high impact trauma is far worse. For example falls/landings in gymnastics.

Controlled lifting is very beneficial to healthy bone growth and development.

Comment

Originally posted by Deon View Post
                    Believe it or not I think that doing squats and dead lifts with proper form is actually beneficial to the spine at any age. The weight that she lifts is impressive at 97 lbs that's for sure. Some might call it excessive but I'm sure she doesn't train with that high weight all the time.

As far as growth plate injuries I think high impact trauma is far worse. For example falls/landings in gymnastics.

Controlled lifting is very beneficial to healthy bone growth and development.
                    I can see what you mean. Like I said, I'm not an expert in adolescent biological development by any means. I don't think anything is wrong with weight training at that age, even compound lifts can have their place, and I agree it can be beneficial for strengthening tendons, muscles etc. Its just the fact of doing maximum lifts that I was questioning.

I also wonder what the hormonal impact is, if any, with putting your CNS and body under that kind of stress. Again, I am sure you are right that she doesn't train super heavy all the time, so its more a point of interest in that I'm curious what people think about someone so young lifting that extremely..

Good point though, especially about impacts such as gymnastics etc., I think those are more of a "controlled" fall, and the mat is somewhat padded, but I see from where you're coming.

Comment

Well said. I agree 100%

Comment

Any kid playing pee-wee football is at far greater risk than this girl is, with what we now know about head injuries and CTE.
                        Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Originally posted by dakoose View Post
                          Any kid playing pee-wee football is at far greater risk than this girl is, with what we now know about head injuries and CTE.
                          For acute traumatic injuries yes... for long term chronic developmental issues? That's more what the concern is... that and I'm not sure pee-wee players hit with the force necessary to be concerned with CTE.. later in life perhaps, but that's not really the topic...
                          Last edited by Michael Travis; 03-23-2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

She could be doing worse things to her body like gymnasitics... With proper form and slow progressive increases in weights, she should have no problems developmentally. As far as compression on the spine, its minimal compared to say trying to do some sort of flip and landing straight down on your ass like in cheer leading or gymnasitcs etc...
                            2014 NPC Mr MN State TBD
                            2012 NPC MN state 40+ 1st and 3rd Hvy *Injury :frusty:
                            2012 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 1st SuperHvy
                            2011 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 2nd Open Hvy.
                            2011 NPC Upper Midwest 40+ 1st and Super Hvy 1st
                            2009 Gopher State 4th Hvy and 4th Masters 40+
                            *11 Natural contest 1992-2000 placed top 4 of all
                            88 Natural Mr MN 2nd Teen
                            88 Gopher State 4th Teen Hvy Div 176lbs

Comment

far out that's impressive. Good thing about this is she had enough spotters and if worst came to worst you can always dump the bar. In gymnastics, as an example, it all happens so quick...
                              [YOUTUBE]WCV_q7NosN4[/YOUTUBE]
                              Originally posted by thsfootball
                              Stressing about what's catabolic- catabolic

Comment

Working...
                              X