Oww, oww, oww!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oww, oww, oww!

So its been 2 days since I did squats...and I thought yesterday I was sore!!! lol...not looking forward to them tonight haha.

Any tips on reducing the pain? And no, I am not injured, just sore as hell! Bathroom breaks really, really suck! !

Originally posted by Caramon View Post
    So its been 2 days since I did squats...and I thought yesterday I was sore!!! lol...not looking forward to them tonight haha.

Any tips on reducing the pain? And no, I am not injured, just sore as hell! Bathroom breaks really, really suck! !
    I have found stretching to help quite a bit with any muscle soreness. A few Advil won't hurt either, just don't use them all the time.

I'm always my sorest 2 days after training too.

Use my discount code JHR112 and get 5% off at TrueProtein.com

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS-Dante

Comment

Originally posted by SadButTrue View Post
      I have found stretching to help quite a bit with any muscle soreness. A few Advil won't hurt either, just don't use them all the time.

I've been thinking about this...

Does taking NSAIDs hinder growth? This is assuming that inflammation brought on by muscle being stressed under load trigger repair which leads to growth. If you bring down the inflammation, aren't you simultaneously bringing down the signal to repair?

Just thinking out loud here.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Epsom Salt baths work wonders! Put 3 cups of the salts in an average size bathtub in WARM not hot water and soak for 20 minutes. The magnesium in the salts relax the muscles and help flush the fatigue products out.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Squat some more.

Also, doing concentric only work can help reduce soreness.
          FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
          If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post

Does taking NSAIDs hinder growth? This is assuming that inflammation brought on by muscle being stressed under load trigger repair which leads to growth. If you bring down the inflammation, aren't you simultaneously bringing down the signal to repair?

I read somewhere a few years ago that ibuprofen does inhibit some growth. Don't remember where I read it but the advice of the author, Dr Paul Cribb (found him), PhD in biomedical chemical science or some such, was that better things were epsom salt baths, massage, stretching, etc. I do use epsom salt baths and generally supplement with ZMA at night which may help.

I try not to use pain killers generally unless I have a super migrane or real pain like broken limbs.
            Last edited by TeddyD; 03-22-2012, 07:40 AM. Reason: 100th post! Whoo hoo!
            My Log: Back to Basics

Comment

Originally posted by TeddyD View Post
              I read somewhere a few years ago that ibuprofen does inhibit some growth.
              Found the abstract. Yeah there is some product pushing but what stayed with me was the avoidance of pain killers...

Ibuprofen Blocks Muscle Gains
              Ibuprofen blocks muscle gains

by Dr. Paul Cribb Ph.D. CSCS.
              AST Director of Research

Cyclooxygenase (COX) activity and its downstream prostaglandins are involved in the muscle growth response to weight training. Prostaglandins are potent modulators of pain and inflammation in muscle tissue. A recent study has shown that the anti-inflammatory drug Ibuprofen inhibits COX activity and the muscle growth response to overload.

I reported this phenomenon in a previous article. However, this new study directly assessed muscle growth in response to overload within and without the effects of Ibuprofen. It also provided a clear mechanistic explanation for the impaired growth response from this drug.

Therefore, although drugs such as Ibuprofen may help reduce pain and inflammation after injury, it seems clear that they also interfere with skeletal muscle adaptations to resistance exercise. If you're training hard to build muscle but require relief of chronic joint pain, try daily supplementation with ProFlex 750. Use Ibuprofen sparingly.

Source: Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 38(5); 840-846, 2006.
              My Log: Back to Basics

Comment

Originally posted by SadButTrue View Post

Stretching is a great idea! Why didn't Ithink about it. I have only been stretching a few min before lifting. Should I do the stretching daily? Sorry for all the questions, super noob here lol.

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                Epsom Salt baths work wonders! Put 3 cups of the salts in an average size bathtub in WARM not hot water and soak for 20 minutes. The magnesium in the salts relax the muscles and help flush the fatigue products out.

Hope this helps!
                Thats a great idea too! My gym has a sauna which I love so I generally end up showering there but I will have to try he epsom bath!

Originally posted by JohnCaesar View Post
                Squat some more.

Damn, I knew someone was gonna say that. Well, being on 5X5 makes the squatting pretty much a given .

Side note, I squatted yesterday, and while it was a low number (205) 5x5 it felt like my muscles in my legs were going to snap...but by the last few sets they felt better, and this morning my legs at least aren't as fatigued as they felt Tuesday morning. Lets see what tomorrow brings lol.

Thanks for the great ideas.

Comment

There was some research at one time that indicated it hindered growth slightly. But, if he's hurting that bad then 1 Advil wouldn't really hurt IMO. That's just me though.

I had severe tendonitis in my left shoulder last year and used NSAIDs for a few months until it went away and I still made some solid gains. But I wouldn't use them though unless it's necesary.

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

Comment

Get on a treadmill and walk it out.
                    -KidRok-
                    "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                    5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

or just enjoy it... Haven't been in that much excruciating muscle pain where it hurts to sit down on the toilet for awhile, but I remember finding it funny when I did... Should try the Heckman flush for some extra fun while your in pain

Comment

Originally posted by Caramon View Post
                        Stretching is a great idea! Why didn't Ithink about it. I have only been stretching a few min before lifting. Should I do the stretching daily? Sorry for all the questions, super noob here
                        I stretch for at least 10 to 15 minutes after training. Dante's extreme stretch for quads is especially helpful.

Originally posted by KidRok View Post
                        Get on a treadmill and walk it out.
                        I walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes after legs also.

Originally posted by kunimitsu View Post
                        or just enjoy it... Haven't been in that much excruciating muscle pain where it hurts to sit down on the toilet for awhile, but I remember finding it funny when I did... Should try the Heckman flush for some extra fun while your in pain

Comment

Oh, I laugh when I sit lol...that painful, why did I do that to myself but I am glad I did laugh lol. Its been so long since I have worked out I forgot the good times lol.

Kidrok, I do do the elliptical and treadmill daily. It has seemed to help hah.

Comment

Makes all the diff in the world for me. My hamstring recovery has sucked so damn hard since i havent been able to pull the sled outside. Hitting it a couple times a week not only reduces DOMS for me but seems to improve work capacity so much I get less sore in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                            X