Pullup Rep Ranges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pullup Rep Ranges

What rep ranges suit the pullup best for back hypertrophy? Obviously its good to switch rep ranges up, but generally speaking some muscle groups respond better to lower rep ranges and some to higher rep ranges (i've heard that back is the latter).

And when I say pullup, its using what I consider to be "bodybuilding" form, ie

- wider, pronated thumbless grip
    - full stretch at the bottom with a second pause
    - chin to the bar (I see no reason to go higher because other muscle groups take over like arms)

Lat width is a weakness (well back in general actually). But eventually I'd like to be banging out sets of weighted pullups. I see a lot of big dudes doing heavy weighted pullups.

One more question, how important do you consider the eccentric portion of the movement? Should I slow the eccentric to a controlled 2-3 second descent and sacrifice some reps?

I think once I can do 20 perfect reps of pullups with my bodyweight (195) I'll be ready for weighted pullups, right? Right now I can probably do 10-12. I am using escalating density training to try and get my numbers up...this basically means that I'll do as many as possible in a 20 minute time period and then try and beat that each time I hit back.

I liked doing them 5x5 and 10x3 weighted.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

whats ur BW, how many can you do at BW, how much weight do you add for those rep schemes, how much do you rest between sets.

Oh ya and how is ur lat developtment

Comment

Originally posted by bmp View Post
        whats ur BW, how many can you do at BW, how much weight do you add for those rep schemes, how much do you rest between sets.

Oh ya and how is ur lat developtment
        Are you writing a book? Lol

Do some searching and reading on this site and look at some people's journals.

Comment

hah naw man im just trying to get a reference frame of where to start. But ya whats your opinion on controlled eccentrics for pullups if my primary goal is back hypertrophy not simply how many pullups I can do? And what about rest intervals? Maybe if I'm doing weighted pullups I should rest a bit longer like 3 min?

one thing that I like about pullups is that they keep body composition in shape. if you cant do 10, strict, you're probably too fat (assuming you weigh less than 250)

Comment

I am 6'3 220lbs. There are so many variations when it comes to chins and pull ups. From grip, to tempo, rest intervals ... I don't think there is one best way to do it. Some say that sternum pull ups are superior. Too many factors involved. It wouldn't hurt to do them one way for several weeks and then change things up. I prefer 3-4 count negative whether weighted or not. On weighted I have taken between 3-5 minute rest between sets.

Comment

Originally posted by bmp View Post
              one thing that I like about pullups is that they keep body composition in shape. if you cant do 10, strict, you're probably too fat (assuming you weigh less than 250)
              x2
              PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

For weighted chins (I prefer neutral grip), I like 4x5 or 5x4, they work better for me with low reps and more sets.
                Unweighted though I just go for lots of reps. Something like 5x10. I usually do a few sets of 10 at the end of my workout depending on how beat up I feel.

I weigh 85kg (190) at 183 (6') and I'm currently using 30kg for weighted chins. Goal is two plates. And after that three plates.
                Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                  I liked doing them 5x5 and 10x3 weighted.
                  I found rack chins for sets of 5x5 are working pretty good for me right now ( wide grip, full stretch at the bottom, hold the contraction for a second or two ) wish I started doing these sooner.

Comment

Right now I am doing a % based type of progression for pull ups. Last heavy workout did +80x4 @ 190-195bw.. I have a video on the pl forum of me doing +70x6. For this workout I rest as long as I need to between sets, 2-5 minutes.

I also do a very simple, lighter 3x8-12 on the closegrip chin ups with the neutral grip for one of the other workouts. Here I just use strict 2 min rest intervals.

I wouldn't make the negative portion of the lift more complicated than you need to, just lower yourself under control.

Comment

Originally posted by View 1 View Post
                      I found rack chins for sets of 5x5 are working pretty good for me right now ( wide grip, full stretch at the bottom, hold the contraction for a second or two ) wish I started doing these sooner.
                      Most def. + 1

Comment

Working...
                      X