Smart Supplement Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Supplement Use

What do you consider to be "staple" supplements?

-(even though this isn't technically a supplement, more like food) Some type of whey isolate
    -creatine monohydrate
    -fish oil

There are another few that I am considering:

-bcaa's (such as Scivation Xtend) because I typically train on a fasted stomach. I typically have a dose 10 minutes pre-workout and then start drinking a post-workout shake consisting of whey and simple carbs half-way through the workout. Good idea?

-beta-alanine powder

thinking of adding this because I train fasted and have a busy/somewhat unpredictable schedule (college student). I think I could have better workouts more consistently using this supplement.
    ------

I'm spending money that I earned on this so it's not like finances are an immediate concern...but still, being a broke college student I am only interested in supplements that will give me a good return on my investment. Protein/supplements are so expensive these days

also do you guys recommend true protein for your protein, supplements, or neither?

Comment

Originally posted by bmp View Post
      also do you guys recommend true protein for your protein, supplements, or neither?
      I've done the math across all the products (that I use) on their website vs other top brands. Truenutrition always comes out on top, with the ingredients matching or surpassing that of the competition and with the price always lower (even without using the %5 discount code).

I used to use Xtend, as well, until I did the math on that, too. Truenutrition came up with more bcaa's per serving and 17 bucks cheaper than the leading competitor's price. 37.99 for 90 servings(TrueNutrition.com) VS 54.99 for 90 servings (bb.com)

TrueNutrition's BCAA Plus
      4g Instantized L-Leucine
      3g L-Glutamine
      2g L-Valine
      2g L-Isoleucine
      1g Citrulline Malate
      10mg Vitamin B-6

Xtend
      L-Leucine 3500mg
      L-Glutamine 2500mg
      L-Isoleucine 1750mg
      L-Valine 1750mg
      Citrulline Malate (1:1) 1000mg
      Vit B6 640mcg
      Last edited by Arkbuilder; 03-13-2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

sounds good, ill probably switch to them from now on. what is your opinion on beta-alanine?

Comment

Beta-alanine is good. Simple as that. I was using Sammich's strength stack for a few months and it was an important inclusion. I feel it is more of a synergistic amino that works well with others (funny that). So I use bcaa boost and Augment from TN in my intra-workout shakes now. Have been for the last 15 weeks and it's lovely. Lots of other goodies in Augment so you really can't go wrong.

As far as staple supplements go. I use a retarded amount of supplements. If I'm not popping 100 pills per day, I'm not happy.
          But, if I had to pick 3, they would be:

- Vitamin D3
          - Coral Calcium
          - Green Tea

If you are training on an empty stomach, a carb like Barley Starch or Swedish Oat Starch may be a good inclusion pre-workout and intra-workout also.
          TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
          2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Comment

Sups are very subjective, a staple for someone
            can be unnecessary for someone else..
            I would probably die without BCAA/EAAs for example because
            of my diet (warrior), fasted training etc..
            but for someone else they might not be so essential.
            With that said, fish oil, a good multi, vit D3, Vit C, Magnesium,
            are definitely staples for me, not strictly for bb, just for health
            As for performance, bulk leucine really impressed me (i used regular 2:1:1 bcaa for the longest time and just recently gave leucine a shot),
            beta-alanine is cheap and effective, these two for recover and endurance are
            great.
            I've never got much out of creatine, while I use to use it religiously
            it's been like a year or so that I don't take more than 1g a day and just because
            is in the preworkout that I take. I still keep a tub of creapure around and when I remember I down 3/4gr..
            I don't consider whey a staple, but I cook with them (i'm a low carber) so I do use, but only for my home made carb free "desserts"
            Last one would be ALA on refeeds
            my 2 cents
            "In the church, they say to forgive"
            "Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting"

Comment

As absolute staples, I would say:
              -high-quality protein (since it's a pain to get all my protein just from food)
              -creatine
              -beta-alanine
              -psyllium husk fiber

Those are all relatively inexpensive. For a few more bucks, I personally would include:
              -L-arginine
              -citrulline malate
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

Comment

If you are a broke college student, don't buy supplements. Save what little money you have for enjoying your life. Not taking beta-alanine for 3-4 years will cost you perhaps 1lb of muscle.
                "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

Originally posted by LandryP View Post
                  If you are a broke college student, don't buy supplements. Save what little money you have for enjoying your life. Not taking beta-alanine for 3-4 years will cost you perhaps 1lb of muscle.
                  Except for the fact that creatine mono and beta-alanine are so ridiculously inexpensive that there's no reason not to take them.
                  kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                    Except for the fact that creatine mono and beta-alanine are so ridiculously inexpensive that there's no reason not to take them.
                    Money that could be spent on more eggs and chicken and bitches.
                    "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

Originally posted by LandryP View Post
                      Money that could be spent on more eggs and chicken and bitches.
                      $5 for like a month's supply. Negligible eggs/chicken/bitches.
                      kind of a douche

Comment

I think we both have a point.

Comment

Maybe LP likes $5 crackwhores, not that there's anything wrong with that.
                          Last edited by RedSkull; 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM.
                          PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

When you are as sexy as Sammich and I - the 'bitches' do the spending.
                            Plus, with these aforementioned supplements, erection quality is second-to-none. So 'bitches' are in check.
                            TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
                            2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Comment

Originally posted by MusclesAreSexy View Post
                              When you are as sexy as Sammich and I - the 'bitches' do the spending.
                              HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA the last time I got my dick wet is when I accidentally dipped into the toilet.

Originally posted by MusclesAreSexy View Post
                              Plus, with these aforementioned supplements, erection quality is second-to-none. So 'bitches' are in check.
                              YES. :drum:
                              kind of a douche

Comment

Working...
                              X