Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know if you have enough salt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know if you have enough salt?

I have never really thought about my salt intake before. I just watched a video of someone explaining how being dehydrated combined with low salt levels can create weak nervous system activity and decrease power output.

If anything I probably drink too much water, but I have no idea how much salt I need. The Canadian government recomends 1000-1500mg per day to its average joes. Clearly athletes need more.

How do you all determine how much salt you need?

Honestly, I just put a crap-load of salt on everything. I put it in my protein shakes too if I am replacing a meal. For me, it's just at a point where the food is enjoyably salty. Most people would taste my food and think its too salty, but you get used to it and your body will crave it and you should find a balance pretty quickly.
    TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
    2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Comment

Originally posted by MusclesAreSexy View Post
      Honestly, I just put a crap-load of salt on everything. I put it in my protein shakes too if I am replacing a meal. For me, it's just at a point where the food is enjoyably salty. Most people would taste my food and think its too salty, but you get used to it and your body will crave it and you should find a balance pretty quickly.
      How much do you put in your protein shake?

I used to do this method but then I got scared with all of the government level efforts to reduce salt intake. There is a bunch of research on high salt diets linked to a host of health issues.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv...sodium-eng.php

Obviously athletes need more, but how much more do we need?

I am trying to find a balance and see what you guys do.

What bodily que's tell you that you have too much salt?

What bodily que's tell you that you need more salt?

Comment

Originally posted by syssstem View Post
        The Canadian government recomends 1000-1500mg per day to its average joes. Clearly athletes need more.

How do you all determine how much salt you need?
        I'm from Canada as well :peace: As far as salt goes, I've never been concerned about taking in too little. I'm always concerned about taking in too much. There are craploads of salt in everything.

Comment

I just use a sprinkle/pinch of salt in my shakes. I read somewhere that for a bodybuilder you should be having 2g of salt for every litre of water you replace. That seems a bit excessive on screen, but if I tracked my intake it might not be too far from the truth. Salt is probably the only thing I don't weigh out obsessively. Lol.

Comment

I think salt is water soluble. Would that mean I should be ingesting it frequently to maintain constant levels throughout the day? Or is this not true?

Can my body create salt from other nutrients?

For example, while I train I lose probably 2-3 pounds of sweat. I only drink water, which would not replace the other things I lose in the sweat.

When I get home I have protein powder and a banana. Will that replenish salt levels and w.e else is lost? Or do I actually need to take in additional salt?

Comment

I think adding some salt into your workout water is a very good idea. Even a squirt of glycerine with it too... Just my opinion.

Comment

Don't worry about it.
                "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

I think adding some salt into your workout water is a very good idea. Even a squirt of glycerine with it too... Just my opinion.
                  I added 1/8th teaspoon of salt to my workout water. It was amazing. The beginning of my workout wasn't much different, but the middle to end was noticeably more intense. I sweat a lot more but also felt like I had more drive and focus in the later portion of the workout. I highly recommend everyone testing it out for their self!

Comment

Yes. Good man. I feel that salt is one of the best supplements in my arsenal. If you get a good quality sea salt like Himalayan sea salt, all the more power to you.

Comment

Originally posted by syssstem View Post
                      I added 1/8th teaspoon of salt to my workout water. It was amazing. The beginning of my workout wasn't much different, but the middle to end was noticeably more intense. I sweat a lot more but also felt like I had more drive and focus in the later portion of the workout. I highly recommend everyone testing it out for their self!
                      Same here!

I'll admit my total ignorance regarding salt/sodium before hearing Ken's take on it
                      and joining the forum.
                      My diet/foods are very plain and I never put salt on anything (i bought a pack of sea salt
                      4 days ago after I don't know, something like 8 years I didn't buy salt lol).

I put 2gr of sea salt with my EAAs and Leucine powders, down it preworkout
                      with water for my last 2 workouts and I must say the difference is really noticeable!

I too sweat like no tomorrow but most important it really seems like it raised
                      muscle failure threshold, I still have DOMS on my shoulders from three days ago (unusual for me to get them on my delts for more than a day), and even more noticeable was yesterday with legs, I lost count on my rest-pause sets on squats before ruining on the ground powerless

I also look drier, actually, I'd say grainy, it's nice!

I have a couple of questions about it tho', I don't mean to hijack the thread
                      but it's definitely the same subject, I thought was better to ask in here than opening another 3d:

My water intake is something about 4/5 liters (1.3 gallons) a day, it has been forever,
                      should I drink more considering the higher salt intake?

I figure numbers are subjective, but just to have a guideline, is 2 - 3gr a day ok?
                      any benefit in going higher?
                      I'm asking because I don't like to eat salty food, so I just down it prewo

thank you in advance guys!
                      "In the church, they say to forgive"
                      "Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting"

Comment

I think your water intake is ample for 3g of salt. I would have a guess at my salt consumption being around 7 grams with water being between 9 and 13 litres per day. Just go by feel. If you are feeling strong, full and your BP is good. That's where you want to be.
                        I noticed the most difference when I split my salt up over all my meals, not just around my workouts. You need nutrition all day and that doesn't change for hydration. You can put it in your water, you'll hardly notice it.

Comment

I think your water intake is ample for 3g of salt. I would have a guess at my salt consumption being around 7 grams with water being between 9 and 13 litres per day. Just go by feel. If you are feeling strong, full and your BP is good. That's where you want to be.
                          I noticed the most difference when I split my salt up over all my meals, not just around my workouts. You need nutrition all day and that doesn't change for hydration. You can put it in your water, you'll hardly notice it.
                          Thanks man, I will try splitting it, and slowly increase it too (and increase water as well) up until I find a sweet spot.
                          I rather monitor how my body reacts to it lil at time
                          "In the church, they say to forgive"
                          "Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting"

Comment

Of course man, just like any supplement.

Comment

I've been trying to keep my sodium intake low to avoid water retention... but I am sure there is a difference from the sodium in process foods vs. high quality sea salt. I will start adding some sea salt throughout the day and before my workouts. Do I need to get the Himalayan brand or is the Morton brand fine?

Comment

Working...
                              X