Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardio Alternatives - who can think outside the box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardio Alternatives - who can think outside the box?

I am sick of driving 30 minutes to the gym to go on a treadmill for 20-30 minutes on off days. Treadmills are boring as fuck and the drive sucks. I am done with cardio machines. I want to try body weight stuff, and if it ruins me, I will go back to the machines if need be.

My off day cardio consists of this ground based mobility routine, then 20-30 min on a treadmill.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/we...-a-631289.html

Does anyone know any body weight conditioning routines I could do from home that would not cut into recovery?

I don't want to do any variations of chin ups or push ups as I do those on my dynamic upper days. Also, I don't want to do core because I do that on training days.

I was thinking something like 20 mountain climbers, 20 groiners, 20 box jumps, as many sets as I can in 15 minutes.

does anyone do shit like this? what about skipping? does anyone skip for cardio? Hows that working for you?

Add some burpees.
    Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
    -John Ceasar

Comment

Vigorous rough sex with your girlfriend or yourself if no girlfriend is present. On a serious note you could 1)open front dorr 2)Step outside 3) close said front door 4) walk to street 5) do sprints, reverse process
      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Put a pack on your back 50lbs in it and walk on a wooded trail. Preferably hilly.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
        Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

all great suggestions. I live in canada and the temperature goes between -20 and -50. No outdoor cardio is happening. Sprints in -30 on icey roads sounds sketchy as hell.

I need to do something inside. I just bought a skipping rope for 5 bucks from zellers lol.

I was hoping someone had a cool circuit mobility routine that is easy on the muscles but gets the heart going.

Comment

Not kidding: play drums. PHENOMENALLY good cardio, and fun as hell. After I play for about 30 minutes I'm drenched in sweat.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

I like to hit the heavy bag for 8 rounds in my garage sometimes. 3 min. going all out, then 1 min break just like a boxing match. I sweat like a pig just wearing sweat pants and sweat shirt.
              2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
                I like to hit the heavy bag for 8 rounds in my garage sometimes. 3 min. going all out, then 1 min break just like a boxing match. I sweat like a pig just wearing sweat pants and sweat shirt.
                God, yes, that's a great cardio method, too.
                Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                kind of a douche

Comment

Jump rope. Lots of interval stuff you can do with them.

Comment

I used to do NOTHING but plyo routines for my cardio. The sessions would last from 15-25 minutes depending on how many sets I did. Here are a couple of my old routines:

ROUTINE 1

15 Split Squat Jumps
                    15 Squat Jumps
                    15 Alternate Lunge touches ( on each leg)
                    25 Prison Squats

Rest 60sec
                    4-5 sets to start and add a set each week for 4 weeks

ROUTINE 2

12 Rollover to Stand Ups
                    12 Super Burpee w/Medicine Ball (or w/o)
                    12 Split Squat Jumps

Rest 60-90 sec
                    4-5 Sets to start

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewGpv03 View Post
                      Jump rope. Lots of interval stuff you can do with them.

that and walking outside are the two cheapest and best ways to do cardio without driving to the gym
                      CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
                      MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
                      2010 NGA Pro Universe
                      2010 NPC Monster Mash
                      2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
                      2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
                      2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
                      2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
                      2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
                      2008 NPC Ohio State
                      2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

If you live in 2 story house, you can run up and down the stairs. As silly as it sound that was what I did back then when I was too lazy to leave the house lol

Comment

I've been thinking of taking krav maga classes two days a week for some off day cardio. Figure it would keep my heart going and teach me how to fight better. Probably a bit intense if you're doing DC or anything serious for body building but otherwise it should be fine. I see a lot of jacked up dudes on UFC.
                          Help a laid off wanna be body builder get some free protien AND save some cash by using my discount code at www.trueprotien.com ! Enter the code ADA057 before you checkout and enjoy the discount!

Comment

Originally posted by lhart6272 View Post
                            Add some burpees.
                            Tabata burpees.. 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest... that'll do ya pretty nicely. Do about 10 rounds of that to start out.
                            Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                            FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                            www.316fit.com
                            Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                              Tabata burpees.. 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest... that'll do ya pretty nicely. Do about 10 rounds of that to start out.
                              I thought your cardio was pushing your Prius up and down the block. LOL!
                              2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Working...
                              X