Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering where to start

I posted my intro in the introductions, and got some great welcomes. Thanks

So, as I stated in there, I am basically a beginner again. 40 yrs old, 280ish and out of shape. I haven't lifted in more than 20 years. AFter lurking at bb.com and then here, I have pretty much become more confused about the state of lifting weights! It used to be simple for me way back in the day haha. Now I see crossfit, 5x5, 5/3/1, Westside, DC and even more. I literally have no idea where to start.

In the gym I see the trainers practically doing the same routines with every client. That seems wrong to me, cause how could every client be the same? I was thinking of hiring a trainer and spoke with one, and they pretty much told me that they follow a prescribed routine. I asked about about building muscle and they said that most clients only want to "tone" and lose weight. They don't really do much other than stand and watch their clients do some light weight, high rep stuff. And other stuff like jumping on these half ball things.

Anyhow, not really for me. I want to lift weights. Heavy ones. (well, I guess light to start lol) But where do I start? Do I go back to what I know, which was 4 or 5 times in the gym a week lifting. A day back then would be like:
    4 sets 8-10 bench
    4 sets 8-10 incl or dec bench,
    4 sets chest flyes,
    then another chest exercise.

Then shoulders, triceps and maybe pulldowns for back. That was one workout, and used to take forever. Reading on here has shown me that its probably not the best workout.

Anyhow, sorry for the long winded post, but I am really just confused as to where I should start. If you can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I am not looking to be hand held, but I do need some kind of a starting point.

I am going to the book store today to look for some books on nutrition. Are there any specific ones that I should be looking at, or are they all pretty similar. I don't have an e-reader so I can't get any off the internet, but I like reading real books anyhow lol.

what are you goals?
    how long do you want to spend in the gym a day?
    how many times a week can you go to the gym?

Comment

If you are 280 and that much out of shape, cardio and getting your diet in check should be your main concern. Contact Skip before you try to reinvent the wheel...
      Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
        If you are 280 and that much out of shape, cardio and getting your diet in check should be your main concern. Contact Skip before you try to reinvent the wheel...
        good call!

Comment

Originally posted by syssstem View Post
          what are you goals?
          how long do you want to spend in the gym a day?
          how many times a week can you go to the gym?
          Pretty much want to get rid of this fat and find those muscles that I know are underneath I have only mornings that I can goto the gym, as I work till 5 pm, and then most nights I bring my daughter to her various after school activities (tae kwon do, swimming, figure skating). So I usually get into the gym by 5:30ish, and have to be out by 7.

I can get to the gym every day. So far in the last 2 weeks I have been there 8 times out of 12 days (was on a short vacation last weekend). I haven't lifted yet, just doing lots of cardio.

That's what I figured getting my butt in gear on the cardio and diet. I have started with the diet by cutting out the extra snacks (chips, choc bars and soda). I have never thought of hiring a PT over the internet before. How on earth does that work. Emails I guess. (yes, I am that ignorant! This is all new to me haha. How expensive is it to do? I don't have a ton of extra money, although I should be seeing a bit of a tax return this year. Until my wife finds a real job (part time sucks) I don't know if I can really afford more than $200 a month. (another reason I didn't bother with a PT at the gym...too expensive.

Also I have been trying to cut out a lot of the carbs. I am going to start a chart about what I eat during the week, and see where I can either cut out, or modify things that I eat. Is that something I can post on here and get some feedback from?

I do notice that our family eats a lot of carbs. I think its time we all sat down and reviewed our grocery buying. I turned around just now and looked in our cupboard and saw all the junk and carbs in there...

Comment

Originally posted by Caramon View Post
            Pretty much want to get rid of this fat and find those muscles that I know are underneath I have only mornings that I can goto the gym, as I work till 5 pm, and then most nights I bring my daughter to her various after school activities (tae kwon do, swimming, figure skating). So I usually get into the gym by 5:30ish, and have to be out by 7.

I can get to the gym every day. So far in the last 2 weeks I have been there 8 times out of 12 days (was on a short vacation last weekend). I haven't lifted yet, just doing lots of cardio.

That's what I figured getting my butt in gear on the cardio and diet. I have started with the diet by cutting out the extra snacks (chips, choc bars and soda). I have never thought of hiring a PT over the internet before. How on earth does that work. Emails I guess. (yes, I am that ignorant! This is all new to me haha. How expensive is it to do? I don't have a ton of extra money, although I should be seeing a bit of a tax return this year. Until my wife finds a real job (part time sucks) I don't know if I can really afford more than $200 a month. (another reason I didn't bother with a PT at the gym...too expensive.

Also I have been trying to cut out a lot of the carbs. I am going to start a chart about what I eat during the week, and see where I can either cut out, or modify things that I eat. Is that something I can post on here and get some feedback from?

I do notice that our family eats a lot of carbs. I think its time we all sat down and reviewed our grocery buying. I turned around just now and looked in our cupboard and saw all the junk and carbs in there...

if money is tight, why not only hire someone for 1 month and ask as many questions as you can so after the month is up you can sustain your self? Then a few months down the road buy another month to check in?

As for hiring a PT for training, that would be ideal but if you can't afford it right now this board is packed with information if you ask the right people the right questions. Do a lot of reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Caramon View Post

I would contact him at [email protected]
              What you will learn from him will last you a life time and its worth every penny, whatever it may be.
              I have worked with him several times over the past 4 years and it was the best investment in "my" health I could have made.
              You have nothing to lose by talking to him.
              Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

It still is simple, don't get caught up in the hype of all these routines.

Comment

I would contact him at [email protected]
                  What you will learn from him will last you a life time and its worth every penny, whatever it may be.
                  I have worked with him several times over the past 4 years and it was the best investment in "my" health I could have made.
                  You have nothing to lose by talking to him.
                  x200....lol. I too have worked with Skip, still am right now, and will be starting a prep with him in two weeks. Yes, after learning from him for 6 months or so, you should have enough knowledge to do things on your own....I do, but like to have the accountability factor, PLUS, I'm still learning stuff from the guy, even 3 years later...lol

Skip has many plans to offer, and believe me, he will do his best to work a plan that won't break the bank....

That being said, I agree with Heckman, diet and cardio should be the focus, along with just a basic powerbuilding routine to hold onto your muscle...
                  STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Another vote for getting with Skip. I'm working with him now and have seen better results in several weeks than I have in the previous 7 YEARS.

One more thing to add that people may overlook; I've saved more money in groceries working with Skip than what his fees are. Seriously.

I beat my head against the wall trying every eating plan out there; keto diets, intermittent fasting, Paleo, etc. I had mild success, but I never learned how/why to eat long term despite reading dozens of books. It was fine in my 20's because I had time, energy and metabolism. As I got older, I simply lost track of my own ability to adapt and just got fat. I had never done diet "right", but it had worked because I was 24 and my metabolism was on fire.

Now, with professional guidance, I feel better, I'm starting to look better, my lifts are improving and I drop weight EVERY WEEK.

I'm absolutely not saying you can't/won't see results doing your own thing, as people do well using their own methods all the time. I'm saying if you want to start off right without the trial/error frustration, if you want to learn the right way to eat, if you want RESULTS, then hit Skip up.
                    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Rage may have just sold me on inquiring with Skip sooner than I had planned..

Comment

I would like to add that training with your daughter at TKD would be great cardio and quality time spent with her.
                        Last edited by lhart6272; 03-08-2012, 01:15 PM.
                        Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                        -John Ceasar

Comment

As far as the.wt training part... I would recommend you read up on Max-ot. Ignore the supplement company crap on the website and just read up on the routine, its a great basic routine. It's simple, basic and easy to follow.

Peace.
                          Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                          Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                          Nicki Minaj

Comment

I am a new poster but long time lurker. I started with Skip last week and so far I can say that I am very impressed. He will tell you it straight like it is with no BS. You may not always like hearing what he has to say, but will appreciate it because it is sound advice. I prefer the direct, no kid gloves approach, myself and find Skip very easy to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                              As far as the.wt training part... I would recommend you read up on Max-ot. Ignore the supplement company crap on the website and just read up on the routine, its a great basic routine. It's simple, basic and easy to follow.

Peace.
                              I hated Max OT, wasted a year of training with that. It didn't make me any Stronger or Bigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X