Contest Prep-Drying out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contest Prep-Drying out

Obviously there are many schools of thought to drying out for the stage on show day.

Some like water loading with tapering, others use that and sodium manipulation, diuretics, there's tons of things you can do.

I wanted to start this thread so anyone that competes can share any tips you have on drying out. (If you work with a coach, don't step on toes and give out info that is supposed to be paid for, not asking for that )

Let's give this scenario:

You are prepping yourself, and you are PEELED, but notice you are holding water...a good deal of it. What do you do to dry yourself out? Do you cut water, do you load water then taper-then cut it?

Just trying to get some discussion going. I know what seems to work for me, so I am not looking for in depth advice. I just want to talk about this.

It has been a while since I saw discussion on it here at IM, and I would like some updated theories .

I'll start and say that I have done the water load, taper it down, add in some water pills, then carb up with complex carbs slowly, and then day of the show add it simple sugars if needed with little water, and it seemed to work well.

I am in the school of thought of keeping it simple: I have never played with salt or anything of the sort.

Like I said, just wanna get some talk going, hopefully from the vets, but anyone with experience can chime in. General guidelines, nothing specific is needed from anyone that does this for a living, LOL.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
    -1st SuperHeavy Gi
    2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
    -1st Heavyweight Gi
    2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
    2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Before we even get into the discussion of drying out I think there should be a warning to everyone: A lot of times when you think you are holding water, it's really just because you have more fat to lose. A lot of us trick are selves into thinking the former. This is why I have a coach, and a second set of eyes.

That being said, I do think that keeping salt normal till the end, and then reducing it a bit helps, but I don't believe in anything drastic unless you've done it a few times and it's worked.

Besides that I do this:

I'll start and say that I have done the water load, taper it down, add in some water pills, then carb up with complex carbs slowly, and then day of the show add it simple sugars if needed with little water, and it seemed to work well.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I don't have anything to add since I've only done one show and it'd be stupid for me to give advice, but I'm definitely curious what others do here. I know Layne Norton is a big advocate of not making any drastic changes during prep week and pretty much just loads early in the week while keeping water and sodium intake the same.

Comment

nothing drastic here

I like to get my body used to processing lots of water and sodium so at least the final 2 weeks (if not longer) I make sure I am salting consistently and I increase my water slightly

the day before the show I drop sodium down slightly and water down slightly, and the day of the show I drop water slightly again and add in sodium as needed

super simple
        CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
        MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
        2010 NGA Pro Universe
        2010 NPC Monster Mash
        2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
        2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
        2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
        2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
        2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
        2008 NPC Ohio State
        2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

Awesome thread Lock!
          Emeka "The MeNAcE"Okammor

Philippians 4:13
          "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
          "For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Comment

Ben,

I like your thought process of getting the body to just become used to the sodium and water. IMO, if you go out and try to load sodium too close to a show, all the while messing with water...it's a recipe for spill-over.

So, the way you describe, it's used to the sodium and water, then after increasing your water slightly, it's gonna push more out, and then when you start reducing both water and sodium gradually it will already be in the process of moving out water...then close to the show you add back in some sodium and water as needed (along with adequate carbs I am guessing) to help fill out and get that "hard" look. Is that correct or did I fill in blanks incorrectly?

How do you feel about fat content of loads? I know some guys swear the cannot fill out without fat.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
            -1st Heavyweight Gi

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

Comment

Oh, and great point about being in shape Dobe. If you're peeled, you're peeled and getting dry is just that icing on the cake...if you're not in condition, no matter what you do to dry out you're still not gonna look your best. Great point.

Anyone adhere to the school of thought of mega water loading? I forget who, but there is a Team U winner (Rodriguez?) who will drink like 10 gallons of water or something per day all the way up until the day of the show or something like that...all I know it's a crazy amount of water he uses (or says he uses) and the dude looks amazing on stage. Jeff Rodriguez maybe? Sound familiar to anyone?

Oh and thanks Emeka, I try man!

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
              -1st Heavyweight Gi

Comment

Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post
                Ben,

I like your thought process of getting the body to just become used to the sodium and water. IMO, if you go out and try to load sodium too close to a show, all the while messing with water...it's a recipe for spill-over.
                absolutely agree

I'm all about CONSISTENCY

you can't wait until the last minute to do anything without risking the consequences

So, the way you describe, it's used to the sodium and water, then after increasing your water slightly, it's gonna push more out, and then when you start reducing both water and sodium gradually it will already be in the process of moving out water...then close to the show you add back in some sodium and water as needed (along with adequate carbs I am guessing) to help fill out and get that "hard" look. Is that correct or did I fill in blanks incorrectly?

How do you feel about fat content of loads? I know some guys swear the cannot fill out without fat.
                my water and sodium are always high during a prep, and the last 2 weeks I just make sure they stay high, if not bump them up a teeny bit, get my body used to processing them out efficiently

on show day, sodium is kept in (as it was kept in, just not quite as high, the day before) and water is kept in, albeit a little lower than the previous day, while slightly increasing carbs and fats

I've played with fat loading in the past and didn't notice any major increases in fullness. IMO, a MILD load with some of the regular carbs/fats you're used to eating is best in most circumstances

show day my first 2 meals that day might be the same things I always eat, i.e. chicken breast, oats or sweet potato, almonds or natural PB, lightly salted

my 3rd meal before prejudging might be something light like plain rice cakes and some natural PB, nothing crazy

if I'm taking in let's say 2 gallons water the Friday before a show, I might take in a gallon on show day spread across the entire day
                CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
                MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
                2010 NGA Pro Universe
                2010 NPC Monster Mash
                2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
                2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
                2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
                2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
                2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
                2008 NPC Ohio State
                2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post
                  Simply put.
                  Emeka "The MeNAcE"Okammor

Philippians 4:13
                  "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
                  "For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Comment

Working...
                  X