Question on seated leg curls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on seated leg curls

Hey every one, I have been experiencing some weird pain on the front part of my lower leg (shin area) when doing seated leg curls. Has this happened to anyone else?

The pain seems to carry over when I move to work quads and lingers on the next day. I thought it might be something along the lines of insertion or attachement, but the hamstring has neither there. Any thoughts?
    How long can you go without believing in YOURSELF, before you are officially dead!

This isn't "Tea-Time Relaxy-Muscle", this is INTENSE Muscle. Bring something to the table or don't fucking show up. - Sammich

It sounds like you are feeling the pain in your tibialis. If it is, this is sounds to be like shin splints or Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome, which is largely caused by over-use, mainly in runners, however, there are a number of factors, such as altered foot, knee and hip posture, and muscle imbalance which can make a person susceptible to the syndrome.

You might be feeling the pain when doing hamstring curls sue to the way you point your toes. If you pull them up you are contracting the tibialis.

To strengthen the tibialis when I had shin splints I used to put the edge of a 25lb plate on my toe and lift up the plate with my toe. This helped me build some strength in that area.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
      It sounds like you are feeling the pain in your tibialis. If it is, this is sounds to be like shin splints or Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome, which is largely caused by over-use, mainly in runners, however, there are a number of factors, such as altered foot, knee and hip posture, and muscle imbalance which can make a person susceptible to the syndrome.

You might be feeling the pain when doing hamstring curls sue to the way you point your toes. If you pull them up you are contracting the tibialis.

To strengthen the tibialis when I had shin splints I used to put the edge of a 25lb plate on my toe and lift up the plate with my toe. This helped me build some strength in that area.
      You Know MFLex, now that you mention it maybe Im contracting my tibialis excessively on low rep sets and its causing the pain. Gonna have to pay attention to foot positioning next time. However the pain doesnt feel like a pump or pull, I can of feel it in the bone. Might have to drop the seated leg curl. Although its the only leg curl my gym has.
      How long can you go without believing in YOURSELF, before you are officially dead!

This isn't "Tea-Time Relaxy-Muscle", this is INTENSE Muscle. Bring something to the table or don't fucking show up. - Sammich

Comment

Overuse can also lead to stress fractures. If you haven't had shin splints before, they feel like they are in the bone but it is actually the muscle and tendon pulling away from the bone.

Fill a cup up with water and freeze it. Then after training squeeze the ice to the top of the cup and rub it on your shins. That always helped me with shin splints.
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Ill give it a shot, thanks MentalFlex.

Comment

Hey I have a similar question for mentalflex. Is there any other ways you strengthened your tiabilis? I have the same pain in my shins when doing hamstring curls on a machine.

Comment

Originally posted by watcher63 View Post
              Hey I have a similar question for mentalflex. Is there any other ways you strengthened your tiabilis? I have the same pain in my shins when doing hamstring curls on a machine.
              Watcher, rather than trying to describe tons of exercises I linked you to a very good website that has some videos of exercises that will help.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/CalfWt.html

Go to "tibialis anterior" at the bottom of the page

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

thanks for response mentalflex. i actually used to visit exrx to try to see what muscles were being used in every exercise, always nice to go back

Comment

Working...
                X