Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SAHD
    Light-heavyweight Member
    • Jul 2009

I have mentioned this before and is simlar to the above....the Natty I know who has the biggest arms I'v seen in person NEVER does direct work. This may differ if you are on but I don't know. He does alot of back work with grips that use the bi's and all his tri work is compound presses. His body is good overall and focusses doing multiple exercises for the big muscle groups instead of bi's and tri's and calves.

Do a woukout and still have fuel in the tank and Bi's don't feel tired....solution is more underhand grip pulldowns, not curls.

I took on this approach and it did a few things - namely shortened my workouts, gave me better arm growth (and overall growth) made me recover faster, lifted more on the big lifts next workout.

Result was a bigger body which has bigger arms.
    "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
    Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
    'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
    ~William Bernbach

Comment

• bhman6
      Roundtable Expert
      • Sep 2005

I'm going to go against the grain with several comments and say that direct work is absolutely needed and depending on your structure and strengths vs weaknesses, heavy rows/deads/chins may not be enough to do jack shit for your biceps

I've been able to do pretty decent chins with 100+lbs hanging off me for reps, barbell rows in the 400 range, and deads (floor/rack) in the 500-700 range, and my biceps were absolutely shit for years

once I started hitting biceps twice a week, focusing on one basic heavy movement that took my shoulders our of the equation first, then a lighter movement second, did my biceps finally start growing at a rate that was noticeable to other people within 3 months

the biggest thing though is FEELING your biceps during bicep training. I had to remove all standing curl movements and switch to machine, cable, and preacher movements and my results have been staggering considering the lack of progress I've seen over the years
      CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
      MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
      2010 NGA Pro Universe
      2010 NPC Monster Mash
      2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
      2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
      2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
      2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
      2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
      2008 NPC Ohio State
      2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

• 0001Delta
        Heavyweight Member
        • Apr 2011

I think I'd go with both trains of though.

I think direct work is absolutely necessary, but you also have to progress on heavy compounds. It's a combination of both factors.
        My biceps is a weak point, I never actually "felt it" during training until recently and selecting exercises was always a bitch because my shoulder takes over on most exercises except preachers, and preachers hurt the hell out of my arms. My old gym had a Nautilus Curl machine and it was fucking awesome, my inital arm progresses where amazing because I could feel the muscle being worked.

Then I switched gyms and found myself with crappy equipment and resorted to more heavy back work and compounds and my arms didn't deteriorate like I thought it would, if anything they got a bit stronger.

So, the right measure of heavy compounds that secondarily trains the biceps + direct work that match your leverages = big biceps.
        "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

• thehazzle
          • Feb 2008

My biceps only grow when my weight goes up. Get bigger overall and your arms will follow suit. Honestly I can do everything for biceps/arms and they only grow when my weight goes up.

Comment

• ch3v3ll3
            Light-heavyweight Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bhman6
            I'm going to go against the grain with several comments and say that direct work is absolutely needed and depending on your structure and strengths vs weaknesses, heavy rows/deads/chins may not be enough to do jack shit for your biceps

I've been able to do pretty decent chins with 100+lbs hanging off me for reps, barbell rows in the 400 range, and deads (floor/rack) in the 500-700 range, and my biceps were absolutely shit for years

once I started hitting biceps twice a week, focusing on one basic heavy movement that took my shoulders our of the equation first, then a lighter movement second, did my biceps finally start growing at a rate that was noticeable to other people within 3 months

the biggest thing though is FEELING your biceps during bicep training. I had to remove all standing curl movements and switch to machine, cable, and preacher movements and my results have been staggering considering the lack of progress I've seen over the years
            Great post. when I had access to a HS preacher cur, i felt like i was finally feeling my biceps working. Forearms always seem to dominate with most curl movements.

Comment

• bhman6
              Roundtable Expert
              • Sep 2005

I LOVE the hammerstrength preacher curl machine, especially for HEAVY sets where you can really dig the elbows in and grind out the reps

cable preacher curls, standing cable curls (done lighter) and rope curls (also lighter) have been my mainstays for a year now with significant improvements
              CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
              MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
              2010 NGA Pro Universe
              2010 NPC Monster Mash
              2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
              2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
              2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
              2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
              2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
              2008 NPC Ohio State
              2004 NPC Natural Northern USA