Early morning workouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early morning workouts

Havent posted in a while but have been lurking. I have started working out early mornings due to crazy scheduling changes. I have a question about timing everything as it seems I have to throw alot of things together at once:

-wake up 0430, mix a preworkout mix (usually jacked or no or something), mix a 20-30 gram protien shake and eat a granola bar.I also take a multi and a couple fish oil caps.--- it doesnt sound like much but seems like it.

-usually at the gym at 0445 and hit about 25-30 mins of moderate intensity cardio (keep my heart rate between 120-140) riding the stat bike or walking with a slight incline on tread. Then hit 10-15 or so sets on one BP and leave. Like I said my time is short but I have found a way to make it work. Basically wondering If I am doing optimal with what I have.

Please let me know if I can change anything, thanks for your time!!!

If it is working for you (strength, gains etc) then don't worry about fixing what doesn't need fixing.

Imo, if you get in there 3 days a week, why not split your workouts into push/pull/legs? Pick an exercise for each body part and get 3 intense straight sets, follow up with your cardio and then be outta there. Seems it would be more productive and would allow you to gauge your strength gains properly if that's what you are after.

If you can't get in there that often, even with the short time you could still do a full body workout. Maybe try the big 4 exercises (bench, push press, squats & deads) with the same 3-4 sets. Again here I would save the cardio for after but if it doesn't affect your strength then by all means keep doing what you are doing. Just my .02
    2005 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 4th
    2007 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 2nd
    2008 - INBF NYC Hercules - 1st Novice
    2009 - INBF Barbados Universe - Open - 2nd
    2010 - INBF Naturalmania NYC- Open - 1st Heavyweight
    2011 - INBF World Championships - Open - 3rd

Comment

I like the Push/Pull/Legs idea. Why are you doing your cardio first? Do you feel like you need those extra 30 minutes for the nutrients from your first meal to start kicking and screaming? Or do you do it to wake up and/or warm up?

I was in a similar position 4 years ago. My gym schedule went like this:
      5am - 50g 50:50 Isolate/Egg white protein shake with 50g vitargo and 80g oats and a double espresso with a multi vitamin.
      5:20am - 50minutes Heavy straight sets finished with 10 minutes of H.I.I.T. (But not after legs or back)
      I progressed really well training like this 6 days per week.
      The H.I.I.T. was hard going but i was very fit and my BF stayed where it was and I was smashing about 6,000 cals a day.

I'd rather get more time in training with weights than doing cardio. But obviously, this is entirely dependant on what you want to achieve.

Good luck. Let us know how you go.
      TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
      2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Comment

Thank y'all for the help! I guess I could have been more specific on my goals etc.

I hit the cardio first to get the blood flowing and for some reason in my head I feel that with my heart rate up a little the nutrients can attack the muscles being torn apart to follow. Maybe I'm wrong in that aspect though... This is going to sound bad but at this present time (spring/summer) I'm not trying to gain much (muscle/strength) rather just get slightly more toned while maintaining the strength that I already possess (witch is not a TON but I do have some) please feel free to keep on helping!!!

Btw my post workout is usually 40-50 grams whey, 40-50 grams dex or whatever other simple carbs i can get a hold of.

Comment

Have you checked out HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training)? Using it's principles, you can get a decent full body in three times a week and not be in the gym for more than an hour.

Comment

In that case wildman, why don't you just train on an empty stomach? Then continue your nutrition for the rest of the day?
            TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
            2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Comment

I always find I have to have something in my gut before training in the morning. Even if it was a single burger pattie (cooked the night before) or a even a scoop or so of protein. If leaning out, maybe empty stomach as MusclesAreSexy mentions.
              My Log: Back to Basics

Comment

Wildman, i have the same schedule. I'm in the gym @ 445 AM every M, W and F. I've been running a full body WO (push, press, pull) and loving it. But like shankuan said, if what you are doing is working, keep at it.

Comment

Working...
                X