Pinching/Burning in Hip on DLs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinching/Burning in Hip on DLs

I've experienced this before and it actually forced me to abandon conventional deadlifts in favor of rack deads for a while...

Well I switched back to conventional deads about 8 weeks ago in preparation for a meet and tonight I experienced it again - a pinching/burning pain on the outside of my left hip. Has anybody experienced this before and potentially had it diagnosed? I'm thinking maybe tightness, pinched nerve, etc.

I do have tight hips so I go through about 10-15 minutes of hip stretches every night before bed and I also get monthly massage therapy (not just on my hips). But nonetheless, these pain creeped back up again.

I know, I know - if I'm really concerned I should see a doctor, but I thought I'd just see if anybody had any knowledge to offer.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Can you be more specific of the location of the pain? On the hip point, in the hip joint? Does it seem to catch? Is it a constant pain or does it come when in motion? Which direction of motion, standing up or as you squat down?

I've got hip joint issues as well so I think these points would be helpful in internet diagnosing.
    Wanna save 5% on your trueprotein orders? Use my code! CTN001

Comment

Originally posted by chris.tan View Post
      Can you be more specific of the location of the pain? On the hip point, in the hip joint? Does it seem to catch? Is it a constant pain or does it come when in motion? Which direction of motion, standing up or as you squat down?

I've got hip joint issues as well so I think these points would be helpful in internet diagnosing.
      It's a sharp pain (a pinching or burning is the best that I can describe it) and it feels like it's right on the outside of the ball joint at the hip. I only feel it on the concentric on heavy deadlifts (greater than 75% of 1RM).

My massage therapist always comments about how tight my IT bands are, and last session she also commented on how tight my sartorius was. I have a feeling that the pain is likely related to this tightness and perhaps the tightness in these tissues is causing some nerve impingement.

As I mentioned, I've already been going through a series of hip stretches for 10-15 minutes every night - I'm also increasing my massage therapy frequency to twice per month (instead of once) and am going to start incorporating SMR on a nightly basis as well.

2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

I I were you I'd invest in a foam roller or a lacrosse ball. Sartorious, IT band both can be rolled easy. I'd also do some glute piriformis work.

Comment

I warm my hips/core up by lying on my back with my knees up and rolling them from side to side. Then lift my feet up so my legs are at a 90 degree angle and roll them side to side. Each position about 8-10 times. It's helped me before a dead-lift or squat day.

Comment

Ditto on the foam roller. I've had terrible hip flexor issues and I find that my glutes and IT are very tight. Foam rolling has started to alleviate those issues.

Try foam rolling after every session when you use your legs. Also try some active warm ups before you do any leg exercises including deads (hamstrings involved). I've found swinging my leg high to the front, back, outside, and across my body each ten times has been very helpful in warming up my hips actively. There is also a muscle between your hip bone and that bony point on the side of your butt. Try laying on a tennis ball or lacross ball and working it into that muscle. That especially has helped in keeping my hip from "catching" and getting those sharp pains.

Hope PTAaron steps in here as he probably knows better than my assumptions.

Comment

All of the stretching and SMR (foam rolling) did the trick. Deadlifts tonight and I pulled 475x7 for my working set with no pain at all.

This is the area that has been especially tight - I really focused on getting into it with the roller to get it to release. Incredibly painful, but is definitely helping.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by moco; 03-10-2012, 12:00 AM.

Comment

How does/did it feel on squats Moco?
                SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Good to hear the foam rolling helped.

Hip mobility seems to help my hip..thanks to suggestions from others on the board!

do you have any clicking in the hip?
                  [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                  Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                    How does/did it feel on squats Moco?
                    Did squats earlier this week - after my warm-ups I went through a series of hip stretches and used the roller before hitting my working set. Felt good - had a lot more mobility - did 395x8 with no issues.

Originally posted by mister69 View Post
                    Good to hear the foam rolling helped.

Hip mobility seems to help my hip..thanks to suggestions from others on the board!

do you have any clicking in the hip?
                    No clicking in my hips, just in my knees.

Comment

I am having a similar issue on squats. Thx or the feedback.
                      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I need to trust myself more. That's your ASIS and there's alot of things originating there. Also multiple movements from these muscles.
                        I pretty much foam roll after my preworkout drink and again after the workout drink. Glad your feeling better, foam rolling is pretty awesome.

Comment

If you're going to get a foam roller, get an EXTRA FIRM RUMBLE ROLLER.

I have tight hips and IT bands as well. You'll spend a few weeks in agony from breaking up the adhesions, but it's amazing how limber you get if you use it on the reg.

My IT bands used to be so tight, using my own thumbs to push on them hurt. Now they're both soft and loose.
                          TRUE PROTEIN SPONSORED ATHLETE

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man..." -HST

WWW.TRUEPROTEIN.COM

THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE I GET SUPPLEMENTS.

CURRENTLY USING...
                          AUGMENT
                          NO-RELOAD
                          COLD FILTRATION WHEY ISOLATE BANANA
                          SLEEP-AID
                          CISSUS
                          WAXY MAIZE

"There he goes, one of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live. Too rare to die."

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                            I am having a similar issue on squats. Thx or the feedback.
                            If you find the problem/solution, I'm all ears. For me, foam rolling helps most with healing. I'm going to look into that rumble roller sponsor for ISOM.
                            Last edited by Arkbuilder; 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

OP im glad you finally included a picture. That is EXACTLY where I get my pain. Sometimes it burns, sometimes its really sharp like someone just stabbed it. They get super tight when sitting especially when leaning forward. Working at a desk sucks.

Do what I explained earlier and you'll be like me (pain free). You just have to keep up with it or it creeps back.

Comment

Working...
                              X