Anyone experience this back pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone experience this back pain?

So I know you all are probably going to say go see a pysio, but: #1 I like learning this my self and #2 you all have helped me through every little nagging ache and pain I have had over the years and I feel by trouble shooting it my self I figure out a way better understanding of my body.

Over the past few months I have had a band of muscle in my upper back progressively getting more tight and more tight. I thought it would eventually go away but it seems to be getting worse. I need to start trouble shooting and address it now before it turns into something serious. I have no idea where to begin. I am not that worried yet because I can still do max effort lifts without any discomfort. However, after my body temperature goes down, it is quite uncomfortable.

Every morning when I wake up, and after I train, somewhere around my upper right back / beside my shoulder is ultra tight. I have been standing up straight and putting my hands on my head, and then leaning to the left (not at the hips) by pushing my middle back / rib cage to the right. This cracks my back and relieves lots of the tension. After a few reps of that I will lean left, and then lean forward and it pulls on similar but different muscles. After a few minutes of doing this the tightness goes from 8/10 to 2/10 but still feels not ideal. 8 = if I move to fast I feel like I might pull something.

I am currently looking at this chart and googling the functions of each name on the side.

http://d3j7fudf8o8iuo.cloudfront.net...medical512.jpg

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to what muscles are being used in the example I do every morning, I would greatly appreciate it.

usually when something is tight and I figure out how to stretch it, the discomfort goes away. This ache has been progressively getting worse over about 3 months, which makes me think I am developing some sort of imbalance, or not fully stetching every tight area because I am unaware they are even tight.

additional information that I just found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLnvtVtXIUM

just tried doing that 2nd stretch he shows on all 4's. I don't know if my posterior inferior serratus is the problem, but a bunch of shit in that area feels ultra tight and some things actually feel slightly painful.

how do I start narrowing down the issue?

Does anyone know a generic upper body stretching or mobility routine similar to the lower body version of agile-8?

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/we...-a-631289.html
    Last edited by syssstem; 02-28-2012, 04:23 AM.

8/10 tightness not 8/10 pain.

where is PTAaron when we need him!?

does he have a thread for this stuff somewhere around here?

Comment

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=46150
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I had a similar pain before. A trip to the chiropractor took care of it. Had a rib out of place
        Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

Comment

I am no expert bit had a serious back injury and had to go to a Dr and then discuss steps which was PT.

I follow alot of the stuff suggested to me by others on this forum...stretching and mobility helped my badly herniated disc.

And just some quality time off floor deads and free squats.( 8months). But what I learned was to stay extremely active which helped.

Best of luck
          [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
          Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
            I had a similar pain before. A trip to the chiropractor took care of it. Had a rib out of place
            ya my right hand side of my ribs honestly feel messed up. I kind of don't believe in chiropractors though. I don't understand how they do anything? Don't muscles and ligaments hold everything in place? So wouldn't someone like a physiotherapist make more sense to go visit? Or are you saying maybe I had impact popped it out and didn't realize it and have been living with it for years and need a chiro to just pop it back in?

Comment

Originally posted by syssstem View Post
              ya my right hand side of my ribs honestly feel messed up. I kind of don't believe in chiropractors though. I don't understand how they do anything? Don't muscles and ligaments hold everything in place?
              Whether you believe in chiropractic or not, there is no debating the fact that they work. Only a chiropractor can tell whats out of place and put it back to its normal position. When your muscles get tight, especially on one side, it can pull the bone out of place, placing pressure on the nerves, and causing pain. When a chiropractic adjusts the bone it allows proper nerve flow to the muscle, and the muscle(s) can relax. Most chiropractors will also do some soft tissue work to help the muscle further relax and keep the bone in place. If this problem has been around awhile it could take several treatments to retrain the body to keep things in place.

Comment

misalignment of vertebrae can cause muscle tightness and imbalances. You prove it yourself when you do your self adjustment routine. When you crack your back, you are readjusting your vertebrae. See how much better you feel. A chiropractor will be able to see and know the adjustments to make instead of randomly cracking your back. There could also be other misalignments, and your problem area could be a result of your body trying to compensate for those other misalignment and/or tightnesses.

You should watch Skip's DVD chapter on Chiropractics.

Comment

Working...
                X