Best Home Gym Set Ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Home Gym Set Ups

Ok, I know this has been done before, but I wanted to start fresh since there are always new products coming out. I wanted to put together what I have and few things I'm looking at. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
    • A Smith Machine that can double as a power rack. Scott "Homonuculus" has a video of his IronMaster "Smith". It looked very strong. Currently, I just have a basic power rack with a pulldown/row station with added weight on the station.
    • I'm also currently reviewing different quick change dumb bell systems. So far I'm looking at the Powerblock. Currently I have dumbells up to 120, but I want to make some space and I want to have the weights go higher. Powerblock now has a set that goes to 200!, but I still need to test these and see.
    • Pull down station and rowing station. I would think you might just want to buy these separately. I have a decent on on my current power rack.
    • I currently have a Nautilus leg press and have been very happy with it's quality. I have loaded a ton of weight on it and it always feels smooth.
    • Likewise I have a Nautilus cam wheel leg ext and leg curl machine that works better than any home machine I've ever used.
    • My seated calve raise is Nautilus as well and gets the job done.
    • I also have a Squat machine by Body Solid. It works great as a squat machine and for standing calves.
    • One other thing I have that I love is the adjustable Kettleblocks from Powerblock. I've used these for my HIIT training and it really has broken up the monotony of cardio.
    • I was also looking at the TITAN T1. It basically does everything. I'm talking about it with the owner and hopefully will have a review up soon.

• I also need to mention my MAG bars which I love, my FatGripz which I use for forearm training, and I also have been using a arm blaster every now and then and have really liked it.

Any other unique pieces you guys have or have seen?
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

I don't know how these compare as I have never used them but I have always had my eye on the Ironmaster Dumbbell system. Take a look at those. They look similar to a traditional dumbbell but are a quick change system. I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has used these.

Comment

Doberman, have you tried the PowerTec Leverage w.o. Station. It seem pretty cool, but it seems like pain in the ass to set up for the next exercise.
      2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Subscribed!

FYI, don't follow the link on the Titan T1 site for their distributor Impulse Fitness. My anti-virus caught a "downloader" file when clicking that link.
        Last edited by Arkbuilder; 02-26-2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by npw View Post
          I don't know how these compare as I have never used them but I have always had my eye on the Ironmaster Dumbbell system. Take a look at those. They look similar to a traditional dumbbell but are a quick change system. I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has used these.
          I have looked at them. I'm may demo them. I just want them to be quick enough where I could do a drop set though.

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
            Doberman, have you tried the PowerTec Leverage w.o. Station. It seem pretty cool, but it seems like pain in the ass to set up for the next exercise.
            I actually have tried the Powertec and it was great...originally, but they have gone with cheaper bearing and it doesn't see as solid. That said that is where I got the idea for the Body Solid Squat apparatus. It's much more solid, but similar to the Powertec version. If they ever upgrade their stuff I'll be interested again though.

Truenutrition.com
            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Doberman, I have the powerblock sport stage III that goes up to 130lbs. I don't use them all that often since my gym is about 5 min away but they are sturdy and very easy to use. I was a little iffy about the "block" design, but it is actually no issue at all.

I tried the ironmaster DB's and the bowflex ones and I felt these were the best value.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Good deal. I'm talking with the management at powerblock. They have a new set that goes to 200!

Truenutrition.com
                Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Wow, I am sort of shocked to see 'Ironmaster' mentioned on this thread twice. I wondered how many people were actually using them. It is what I use.

Comment

I agree with mental on the powerblocks. Years ago I had a set that went to around 100... Don't remember exactly... And they were solid and well made. They LOOK odd cause if the shape but they are pretty quick to change and solidly made. I will say I went into a sporting goods store earlier today (need to get some knee sleeves or something to help support) and my girl saw them and was like "what are these" j showed her and the FELT the same but the change pins were plastic instead of metal. I don't know if its cause it was a lt set or if it even matters but it was just an observation. Maybe mental can say if his newer pair has metal or plastic pins?
                    As far as leverage stuff goes... Do you know any welders? If ya do and they have some skill they can probably make just about any leverage stuff you want a hell of a lot cheaper than you'll pay for it anywhere else.

Peace.
                    Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                    Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                    Nicki Minaj

Comment

My home setup is pretty basic- about 250kg of bumpers, about the same in iron, Oly bar, Axle bar, 12" competition style Log bar, Ivanko ez curl bar, 26" adjustable dbs, commercial quality adjustable bench. Only thing I really want for it is a decent power rack or some kind of stands with spotters.

Living near a really steep hill is good for hill sprints, too. lol
                      PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Don't forget about a workout partner,

My log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47064

Comment

I had the Powertec Lever Squat and it wss awesome.....their hack is good too
                          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                          17 AAU Super Total
                          '16-AAU Hi
                          '15-USPA Metro
                          '15-USPA State
                          '15-AAU HI
                          '14-AAU HI
                          '14-USPA Metro
                          '14-WABDL Sonny's
                          '14-USPA State
                          '14-HI Strongman
                          '13-USPA
                          '13-WABDL Sonny's
                          '13-USPA State
                          '13-AAU HI
                          '11-USPA Metro
                          '10-NPC Stingrey
                          '09-NPC Islands
                          '09-NPC Stingrey
                          '09-ABA Islands
                          '02-ABA Islands
                          '02-ABA IronWorks
                          '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                          '01-ABA Olympia
                          '01-ABA Islands
                          '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                          '00-INBF Musclefest
                          '98-NGA Ill
                          '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                            I had the Powertec Lever Squat and it wss awesome.....their hack is good too
                            Is it their hack squat this one?

http://www.powertecfitness.com/p-25-...d-p-cls11.aspx

There is a dealer in Germany which actually sells these... If money and space allow me to get one of those one day, it could be something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                              Do you know any welders? If ya do and they have some skill they can probably make just about any leverage stuff you want a hell of a lot cheaper than you'll pay for it anywhere else.

Peace.
                              I'm a welder. I am thinking of building my own Smith Machine / Power Rack. Just need to buy the guide bars and bearings.

The leverage stuff is kind of a pain in the ass to build because of the bends in the Iron. But you are right. You can save a lot of money building it yourself.
                              Last edited by TLopez; 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM.
                              2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Working...
                              X