Hammer strength deadlift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammer strength deadlift

Well I finally started incorporating HS deadlifts. (I love them!)

Skips video had them( thanks skip) and a while back dante posted "sometimes for back thickness".

My question is, do you guys feel it more on the back and no real hamstring or glute soreness?

I know for regular floor/rack deads my back, glutes, hammies all get sore.

Thanks all.
    [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
    Save 5% on all orders.

I tried these myself, and personally, I don't feel them in the back the same as regular deadlifts. That being said when you are getting close to contest time it might be a decent substitute if you don't want to worry about balance. One thing I will do instead, during prep time, is to lighten the load on deads and keep tension on the back like I'm doing a row. I haven't tried this, but I think the same principle could be used on the HS deadlift to help concentrate on the back and lessen the hamstring involvement. By doing this you don't have to use as much weight and you can really nail the back.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Thanks for chiming in.

I did these and loved them.. they hit my back nicely and didn't really hit my glutes or hammies. And plus with all my injuries it just kinda made sense.

Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes machines can help you work around these problems. Did you try the machine normal or did you try them with the technique I mentioned? I'm curious if you did what you thought.

Truenutrition.com
        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I did it similar to how ron Harris did it and Dante explained in an older thread. No bouncing on the bottom and nice and controlled.

Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Gotcha. Sounds like a winner. I've found that almost every exercise is more efficient, and safer if you imagine that you are trying to maintain a Front relaxed bodybuilding pose. Obviously that isn't possible the entire time, but the point is to maintain good posture and to keep proper alignment. I'll have to check out that older thread by Dante. If you have the link throw it up. His stuff is always worth reading.

Truenutrition.com
            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

We are talking about the HS Deadlifts on the HS shrug, correct? Using the bottom handles? If so, I feel these all over when doing them, especially in the legs, but my back is always sore after (the next day/two). I dont necessarily believe my legs/hams are sore due to this exercise...at least, it isnt something I recall (but doesnt mean it hasnt happened). Again, seems to hit my back pretty good, though.

-slide
              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Originally posted by slide View Post
                We are talking about the HS Deadlifts on the HS shrug, correct? Using the bottom handles? If so, I feel these all over when doing them, especially in the legs, but my back is always sore after (the next day/two). I dont necessarily believe my legs/hams are sore due to this exercise...at least, it isnt something I recall (but doesnt mean it hasnt happened). Again, seems to hit my back pretty good, though.

-slide
                Yeah slide the bottom handles is the one I use per the instruction on that thread.

I do like this exercise a lot.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

I love this exercise. It just clicks for me. I always have annihilated legs when doing them (legs on Wednesday, back on Friday.)
                  But I still feel it more across my back.
                  TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
                  2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Comment

I am surprised some of the bigger guys can fit enough weight on the machine. we have one at our gym and it can handle 6 x 45 on each side (3 on top arm /3 on bottom arm so 6 on each side) which is roughly 540 lbs. But the leverage of the machine makes it significantly easier than barbell deadlifts. My barbell DL 1rm is 550, but I can do 540x12 on that machine. I am thinking they must make some with bigger arms to hold more weight.
                    Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Is there a certain rep range you use for this machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
                        I am surprised some of the bigger guys can fit enough weight on the machine. we have one at our gym and it can handle 6 x 45 on each side (3 on top arm /3 on bottom arm so 6 on each side) which is roughly 540 lbs. But the leverage of the machine makes it significantly easier than barbell deadlifts. My barbell DL 1rm is 550, but I can do 540x12 on that machine. I am thinking they must make some with bigger arms to hold more weight.
                        That was one of my problems with it, but it's not that I'm some bad ass, it's because of the leverage like you mentioned. I ended up hanging chains on it, but that felt funny for some reason.

Truenutrition.com
                        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
                          Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                          That was one of my problems with it, but it's not that I'm some bad ass, it's because of the leverage like you mentioned. I ended up hanging chains on it, but that felt funny for some reason.
                          I have 100lb plates at my gym. So, I will be using those to hopefully help mitigate the issue of plates falling off (or not having enough room, etc.).

-slide
                          "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

That's great slide wish I had those!

not that I am that strong lol.
                            Before being injured I was doing rack pulls 500lbs for 1x3 .

My goal now is to kill this hammer deadlift... with strict form.

Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Working...
                            X