Recipe: Pineapple Cilantro Salsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe: Pineapple Cilantro Salsa

So I am a foodie. Between my books, my computer, my saved newspaper and magazine recipes.... I got probably millions of recipes and am always cooking. I worked is restaurants most of my adult life (well restaurants, bars and clubs) tending bar but I also would help on the line, in bars I have run the kitchen....etc... Anyway my point just is I cook and have cooked a ton (still cater private parties in the side) so although I am far from a chef, I am gonna try to start putting some recipes up here.

Now I read in a journal someone asking about talapia.... I am not a huge fan but a simple salsa over the talapia and rice ain't to bad.

Salsa

Dice:
    Pineapple
    Mango
    Tomatoes (optional and must be strained after they are dived)
    Red onion (ok here is the deal with RAW onion, after you split or quarter it you should soak it in ice water for a good long time... It will mellow it out and keep it from over powering whatever its with... And dice it real small)
    Garlic (you can slice it thin if you are a garlic nut like me...or dice it real small)
    Cilantro (don't use dry, please use fresh)
    Salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste

Mix it all up then add evoo... How much is up to you... I love good olive oil but you still want a salsa and not a sauce.

Refrigerate covered so it all blends together.

You can bake the talapia, grill it (pain in the ass with talapia, grill it wrapped in foil, etc... I would bake it with some of the salsa on it.

Serve it over rice with as much salsa as you like.

If you try the salsa... It goes with a ton of things. I got it from a hotel I worked at that used to serve it with grilled shrimp but it is great to add flavor to anything that's kinda bland (white meat chicken for example).

If anyone has anything they want a recipe for just post the question here. I will TRY to be healthy with it...lol... But I'll post up one I've used or one from a source I trust.

BTW, if you love to cook subscribe to "cooksillistrated"! By far the BEST mag for the average person. These are the same people that do "Americas test kitchen" on public tv....GREAT SHOW.

Peace.
    Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
    Nicki Minaj

Threads like this should have proper titles, IMO. Would make it easier for people to find.

Something like: "Recipe: Pineapple Cilantro Salsa"

On a side note, I make a similar salsa and it works great with chicken or fish.

Comment

Nice recipe Dunhill. I am big fan of tilapia.

I was actually just on my way out to pick up some tilapia. Here is my recipe:

This makes 4 servings and the nutritional facts per serving are for one 6 oz. tilapia fillet (I eat more than 1 fillet) with an 1/2 cup of the relish and 1 lime wedge.

2 teaspoons canola oil
      1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
      1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
      1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
      4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
      1 1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple chunks
      1/3 cup chopped onion
      1/3 cup chopped plum tomato
      2 tablespoons rice vinegar
      1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
      1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
      4 lime wedges

Directions:
      Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle fish evenly with spice mixture. Add fish to pan, and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.
      Combine pineapple and next 5 ingredients (through jalapeño) in a large bowl, stirring gently. Serve pineapple mixture with fish. Garnish with lime wedges.

Quick and Easy.

Enjoy!

Nutrition Info (per one 6 oz. fillet with 1/2 c. relish and 1 lime wedge):

Calories: 228 kcal
      Protein: 34.5g
      Carbs: 11g
      Fat: 5.5 g
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCrazy View Post
        Threads like this should have proper titles, IMO. Would make it easier for people to find.

i'm pretty sure he's planning on posting more than one in the thread

Comment

I'll try one of these out this week with the family. Tilapia is one of the few things I do well, or so says the wife.

Thanks fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by melkor1 View Post
            i'm pretty sure he's planning on posting more than one in the thread
            Yea, I'll post a recipe for anything anyone wants one for. As I said I cook a lot so while I don't pretend to be a trained chef...I have worked in many kitchens. I'll add a cpl later or tomorrow. Oh and as I said, anyone with a good recipe ... Feel free to post.

Peace.

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
            Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Great idea Dun, but this should go in the appropriate forum (bulking lounge or pre contest).
              Consider me subscribed!

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCrazy View Post

Your wish is my command.
                Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                www.316fit.com
                Email: [email protected]

Comment

Keep em coming. I can't go off my plan for my show, but afterwards I'll definitely be stealing some ideas.
                  1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                  2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                  2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                  2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                  2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                  2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                  Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

One pre-contest thing I was doing was this:

1-2 scoops of vanilla or chocolate protein powder mixed into a pudding consistency. You can even do one of each, but mix them separately.

Mix PB2 (Powdered Peanut Butter) 5 tbsp into a somewhat runny consistency.

Get a Tupperware bowl and spray it with a couple shots of not stick spray so that you can pull your frozen concoction out later.

Now dump your concoctions one flavor at a time in the bowl (ex vanilla, then chocolate, then PB2).

Put it in the freezer for 2-3 hours.

Real simple, but during a diet this is a God send. Calories are 130 per scoop of protein, and 115 for the 5 tbsp of PB2. So even if you do 2 scoops of the protein you are only getting in 375 calories. I think it totals about 55 grams of protein this way.

It's nice with the flavors, being separate, but you can also mix the ingredients all together and it's almost like a frozen peanut butter cookie. This is great with coffee too.
                    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                      Your wish is my command.
                      I guess you did not read the intent of the thread. The idea was to post a bunch off different recipes without having to start a new thread for each recipe.... Hence the 'open' title. Oh well... I'll just leave it as it is and not bother adding cause it won't make sense now. I was gonna post recipes in my journal but started this thread so people wouldn't have to go thru a bunch of posts to find recipes.

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by dakota1981 View Post
                        Great idea Dun, but this should go in the appropriate forum (bulking lounge or pre contest).
                        Consider me subscribed!
                        Thanks...I was gonna start it there but I would have had to start one in each... I guess I really should have done it that way. I'll just post them in my journal now I guess.

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

There were some decent recipes posted in the thread I linked below. So if you are consolidating worthy recipes into one thread, a few from this thread might make the cut:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=45091

Maybe call the thread "Dunhill's Kitchen" lol
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                            I guess you did not read the intent of the thread. The idea was to post a bunch off different recipes without having to start a new thread for each recipe.... Hence the 'open' title. Oh well... I'll just leave it as it is and not bother adding cause it won't make sense now. I was gonna post recipes in my journal but started this thread so people wouldn't have to go thru a bunch of posts to find recipes.
                            Why don't you get butt-hurt about it?

Maybe a title with a better description so that someone actually searching in the future might be able to find it would be more fitting for you?
                            Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                            FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                            www.316fit.com
                            Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                              Why don't you get butt-hurt about it?

Maybe a title with a better description so that someone actually searching in the future might be able to find it would be more fitting for you?
                              "But -hurt"? Lol yea that's it.

Title? Um thought "how to prepare..." Was a simple basic title.

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Working...
                              X