On a high protein, high fat, low carb cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a high protein, high fat, low carb cut

i have come across conflicting info on the net whilst doing my research, i have lowered slightly my calories per day, and switched from high carb low fat high protein to a high protein high fat low carb diet.
    i read a couple of places that i should not eat the skin of chicken, as it is saturated fats, but i have also read the opposite that say it is fine as it is natural... i would like to eat the skin for 2 reasons, its fricking tasty lol, and it helps me get enough calories, as having low carbs has made me realise i have to eat loads to get calories compared with carbs.
    so to skin or not to skin?
    Please follow my journal... http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=46381
    LIFT HARD OR GO HOME
    TARGET LIFTS....
    320 kg deadlift/160 kg bench press/280 kg squat
    yeahHHHHH BUDDYY!! LIGHT WEIGHT YEP YEP YEP!!
    AINT NUTTIN BUT A PEANUT brrrrrrrrrr

just out of interest, what macro's wer you on, and what are you on now?

Comment

well i was taking in between 350 and 400 grams carbs a day mostly rice
      around 300 grams protein
      around 120 grams fat but fats varied somewhat
      LIFT HARD OR GO HOME
      TARGET LIFTS....

Comment

Did you switch it around because it wasn't working for you or just because you read something online? Personally, I prefer to keep carbs as high as possible for as long as possible while on a cut, only bringing them down when necessary. Sometimes getting down to really low bodyfat requires it, but this is going to depend on the individual.

well i was taking in between 350 and 400 grams carbs a day mostly rice
        around 300 grams protein
        around 120 grams fat but fats varied somewhat
        And now? Also what are your goals? From your original post, I assumed you were cutting, but not with close to 4k calories.
        Last edited by andrewR; 02-18-2012, 11:32 AM.

Comment

As yourself three questions:
          1) Does it fit within my macros for that meal?
          2) Will it get me closer to achieving my goals?
          3) Is there an alternative that would work more effectively in helping me reach my goals?(there are many more healthier sources of fat with higher omega contents that will aid with cardiovascular and joint health)

How you answer these should guide you.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

yeh well my macros are as follows

non workout day...
            150 carbs a day
            350 protein
            120 grams fats minimum

workout day the same but added simple carbs extra to post workout
            LIFT HARD OR GO HOME
            TARGET LIFTS....

Comment

and i dont keep same macros per meal, i have a daily macro, i try to keep protein/carb, or protein/fats re DC.
              LIFT HARD OR GO HOME
              TARGET LIFTS....

Comment

Honestly, I think your macros look like a great start, and then you can adjust them as needed. Some animal fats are okay if they fit your macros, but majority should come from olive oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, eggs, etc. Ive had great results with similar macros, I weigh less then you so my fat was a little lower to start but thats it really
                Last edited by grammo13; 02-18-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

sweet grammo, i just am looking forward to losing some fat, and worked out doing the 5x5, increasing weight by 2.5 % every workout i should be benching 310 pounds in 4 months of doing it which is sick for motivation and i have heard very positive things about 5x5 in terms of strength gains, im not sure if i can possibly gain muscle tho especially on calories just under maintenance, but our bodies work in strange ways so fingers crossed
                  LIFT HARD OR GO HOME
                  TARGET LIFTS....

Comment

Originally posted by jameswarren1984 View Post
                    sweet grammo, i just am looking forward to losing some fat, and worked out doing the 5x5, increasing weight by 2.5 % every workout i should be benching 310 pounds in 4 months of doing it which is sick for motivation and i have heard very positive things about 5x5 in terms of strength gains, im not sure if i can possibly gain muscle tho especially on calories just under maintenance, but our bodies work in strange ways so fingers crossed
                    Keep the mindset that you will keep getting stronger even if your calories are low. You'll be surprised, with a good routine and diet in place, strength gains will still be there.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswarren1984 View Post
                      yeh well my macros are as follows

non workout day...
                      150 carbs a day
                      350 protein
                      120 grams fats minimum

workout day the same but added simple carbs extra to post workout
                      So you are at about 3500 cals to start your diet.....have you been logging your food intake recently and tracking what you eat? Are your calories above or below your maintenance level?

Yes, the skin can be tasty, but don't you think that there are far better fat sources for you to rely on? And, you're gonna average 20g of fat in each meal if you eat 6 meals. Do you really feel you need that much? I wouldn't call your diet high fat/low carb with 150g of carbs in there either, IMO.....I would say that's moderate carbs......you really need to figure your macros based on what you are eating for maintenance. To me, that means not gaining or losing weight.....lower your intake from there......
                      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

maybe its not low carb, but compared to how my carb intake has been it is, i was eating sh1t loads of carbs, between 350-400 sometimes more so maybe i will be dropping carbs further but for now i will see how it goes with 150, and maybe in a month re evaluate.
                        i was consuming around 3500 calories before, and now im going for around 2900. i will be trying to lower my fats and increase protein, but for now financially i cant afford to eat more protein and less fats, so i will see how this goes for a while, and hopefully get the job im being interviewed for this week and then will up my proteins and lower my fats so as to keep cals at 2900.
                        LIFT HARD OR GO HOME
                        TARGET LIFTS....

Comment

and yes i have been loggin everything i eat down, and weighing everything. so i know exactly what enters my body, but having a tough time with some things
                          such as i like to eat fresh salmon in the evening because of it being good portein source and fat source and decent calories, however the nutritional info isnt available when i buy it and theres conflicting nutritional info on the web so i have to kinda just pick a site blindly really
                          LIFT HARD OR GO HOME
                          TARGET LIFTS....

Comment

sorry 120 grams a day is wrong.... i meant 90 fats
                            LIFT HARD OR GO HOME
                            TARGET LIFTS....

Comment

I'm sorry, I added your cals up wrong....regardless, just keep a log and make adjustments as needed.....
                              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Working...
                              X