Artificial Sweetener Experiment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial Sweetener Experiment...

To be honest, I don't really have an opinion on artificial sweeteners one way or the other.

They might be 100% safe and never cause a problem.

OR

They might end civilization as we know it by sterilizing everyone in the next 100 years.. (ok maybe not something like that)..

I was curious though if anyone here has done away with artificial sweeteners 100% for a period of time like a month? To then re-introduce them and see if you noticed a difference when you took them vs when you didn't.

Even if something is 100% safe, it doesn't mean that it doesn't affect how you feel in a slight way.
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

Good question. My wife had to cut out aspartme (sp?) When she was pregnant, but even the doctor said it was more of a precaution.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I used to use artificial sweeteners daily by virtue of sugar free energy drinks, crystal light, etc., thinking they were better than real sugar. I found some evidence that the methylation of these chemicals in the body have been shown to lower testosterone, so I cut them out completely. I got my levels checked when I was still using them, and they were on the low side, (however I was right in the full swing of precontest dieting), and since I have cut them out, while I have not gotten my numbers checked again, I "feel" better. Better mood, better sex drive, etc. Again, I do not know how accurate the correlation because I am no longer in precontest mode, so I would assume my mood etc, would improve anyway. I plan on getting my numbers checked here again soon. It has been 2 months with no artificial sweeteners whatsoever. Only water, coffee, and unsweetened hot and iced tea.

Hope to hear some other feedback on this as well

Mike

Comment

Not sure how much work I'd get done without the magic of Coke Zero and sf Red Bull.
        PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
          Not sure how much work I'd get done without the magic of Coke Zero and sf Red Bull.
          Ditto. I made the conscious decision long ago I could either have Type II diabetes from sugar or get brain cancer from artificial sweeteners, and I chose the latter. Pick your poison, I say.
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

Let's be honest here.. The only thing stopping me from running this experiment myself is the fact that all of the delicious energy drinks have artificial sweeteners.

If there was a resounding positive response from people dropping artificial sweeteners, I could probably live without energy drinks.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
              Ditto. I made the conscious decision long ago I could either have Type II diabetes from sugar or get brain cancer from artificial sweeteners, and I chose the latter. Pick your poison, I say.
              LOL Same here.

Ya, the jury is still out on sweetners, but some appear to be better than others.

I use shit tons of cyrstal lite...tons. I also add it to my oats every day. IMO, sucralose is probably a safer bet than aspartame and some others. You can actually find literature comparing all the sweetners out there. Stevia is the best bet, as it's form a root and is not artificial, but has a nasty licorice taste usually...some brands are better then others.

But honestly, I just don't give a shit. Like sammich said, I pick my poison...if it keeps me sane while eating the way I need to, I'll eat dog shit if I have to. Sweeteners are awesome in my book.

I have done periods of no sweeteners and with sweeteners just to test if anything was different...

The only thing I saw was that I seemed to hold less water under my skin when getting rid of them for a while...talking like a month of no use at all, drinking nothing but water and some black coffee straight.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
              -1st SuperHeavy Gi
              2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
              -1st Heavyweight Gi
              2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
              2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

One thing I noticed with them, especially the crystal-lite-type drinks, they never quench my thirst unless I really dilute them in a lot of water. Always wondered why that was. Never bothered to google it though...
                It takes work to get things done, but in reality not getting things done is a lot more painful. -Knickerbocker24

Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit. -Jim Wendler

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

I beat cancer once, so I figure doing it again is no big deal.

I love diet Sunkist.

Comment

Mentioning artificially sweetened energy drinks made me crave one..

Now I am drinking a SPIKE

www.316fit.com

Comment

Im a blue rockstar kinda guy.
                      2005 HOA Natural Classic
                      2006 OCB Midwest
                      2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                      2008 HOA Natural Classic
                      NPC Mid-Illinois
                      NPC Midwest Open
                      NPC Natural Grand Prix
                      2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                      USPA Illinois State
                      NGA Heart of America
                      NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

I drink enough Diet Coke in one day to drown a small immigrant family.
                        TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

Originally posted by breck View Post
                          Im a blue rockstar kinda guy.
                          Ah yes, the energy drink that actually tastes like the color blue.
                          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                          kind of a douche

Comment

I'm more of a Monster Zero dude myself...love that stuff.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
                            -1st SuperHeavy Gi
                            2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
                            -1st Heavyweight Gi
                            2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
                            2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Lock, you like the monster rehabs? What about Old Glory? They are $.99 but don't have much. $ id supposed to go to Iraq vets or something.
                              2005 HOA Natural Classic
                              2006 OCB Midwest
                              2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                              2008 HOA Natural Classic
                              NPC Mid-Illinois
                              NPC Midwest Open
                              NPC Natural Grand Prix
                              2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                              USPA Illinois State
                              NGA Heart of America
                              NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Working...
                              X